How would you hunt a buck bedded in the middle of CRP.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: How would you hunt a buck bedded in the middle of CRP.

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:04 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:How about a Trojan Deer approach :)

You know this is a tactic I have used and may work in this situation. I have sat on the hood of a car and slid off into a strategical position. The car never stops and after I'm dropped off, keeps going slowly speeding up to distract my ambush.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:04 am

Stanley wrote:

You know this is a tactic I have used and may work in this situation. I have sat on the hood of a car and slid off into a strategical position. The car never stops and after I'm dropped off, keeps going slowly speeding up to distract my ambush.

Had a friend do that last year with a farmers truck. Killed an old buck, ugly but old.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:32 am

A helicopter or an RPG.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:00 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Ok, I will take a shot at this one....

How about scouting that bed early in the spring to look for his access and exit routes ? If he is coming out of your woods in the morning and bedding in the CRP, just maybe you could get a crack at him as he is coming out of the woods ?

thats exactly what i woud do

........have you bought the hill contry movie yet???? if not andre has a similar set up on a giant deer and exuctes persicly 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:25 am

Southern Man wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Had a friend do that last year with a farmers truck. Killed an old buck, ugly but old.

It works, I've done it bear hunting also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:27 am

surgical position whats this stan :? :? can explain better 8-) :? :? :?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:32 pm

If your not opposed to using a gun, you can get him to stand up and not run by slipping into range downwind and blowing a rabbit distress call. I have done this several times but not actually shot the buck. I had a pretty good one last year behind my house bedding in CRP. I slipped out there one day about noon and set up. I hammered the call a few times and as soon as I saw him stand up and start looking around I stopped. He stood there for a few minutes trying to figure out where the "coyotes" were. I could have plugged but had no tag so I just watched him thinking how big he will be in one more year. After a few minutes he slowly slipped away.

It actually works better if you are about 100 yards away if there is any sort of vantage point where you could see him stand up.

Bowhunting is a different story, I might soft bump him and carefully watch his escape route and pay attention to wind direction. Then set up on him and have a friend soft bump him to me or vise versa.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:14 pm

BigHunt wrote:surgical position whats this stan :? :? can explain better 8-) :? :? :?

You could be dropped off on a road to access where you want to ambush. It would be a stealth maneuver. As per the buck in the CRP, you could have a tractor drop you off without stopping, the buck watches the tractor and you're in a much closer position to make a move or close enough for a shot.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Lot of good suggestions.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Stanley wrote:
BigHunt wrote:surgical position whats this stan :? :? can explain better 8-) :? :? :?

You could be dropped off on a road to access where you want to ambush. It would be a stealth maneuver. As per the buck in the CRP, you could have a tractor drop you off without stopping, the buck watches the tractor and you're in a much closer position to make a move or close enough for a shot.

got ya was confused.... do you have your bow or gun cased becasue its eligal in wisconsin
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 pm

One thing I am surprised has not been mentioned is to sit back and glass from a distance and formulate a plan based on what he does when he rises or returns... Simple, but effective. patience ;)

It would certainly be dependent on a lot of variables like huntable land size, where the buck will likely go, field size, landscape, etc..
It might be that you slip to the field edge and shoot him when he gets there... Might take a pit, but if its close enough to the buck bed and done now, it will likely spook him digging...
I think if he were in the middle of open crp grass, he did not leave it in daylight and there were no trees close enough I would wait for high winds, or heavy rain, and belly crawl close to the bed and then try and get an arrow in him. If there is any roll to the landscape that would be used to my advantage, as would the position he faced while bedded.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:45 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Stanley wrote:

got ya was confused.... do you have your bow or gun cased becasue its eligal in wisconsin

Keep it in the case and use the case for a seat when you hit the ground.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:48 pm

dan wrote:One thing I am surprised has not been mentioned is to sit back and glass from a distance and formulate a plan based on what he does when he rises or returns... Simple, but effective. patience ;)

It would certainly be dependent on a lot of variables like huntable land size, where the buck will likely go, field size, landscape, etc..
It might be that you slip to the field edge and shoot him when he gets there... Might take a pit, but if its close enough to the buck bed and done now, it will likely spook him digging...
I think if he were in the middle of open crp grass, he did not leave it in daylight and there were no trees close enough I would wait for high winds, or heavy rain, and belly crawl close to the bed and then try and get an arrow in him. If there is any roll to the landscape that would be used to my advantage, as would the position he faced while bedded.

Excellent ideas.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:51 pm

dan wrote:One thing I am surprised has not been mentioned is to sit back and glass from a distance and formulate a plan based on what he does when he rises or returns... Simple, but effective. patience ;)

duh.... only you would of thought of that ...dan your the man

your right we need to slow down and think ;) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:00 pm

That is why YOU ARE THE BEAST! Belly crawl never even entered my thought process. :lol:
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”