Buck movement before daylight right now?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ack

Buck movement before daylight right now?

Unread postby Ack » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:41 pm

So I've had a trail cam up on the corner of an 80 acre bean field now for about 3 weeks and have noticed that all of the pics I get of the older bucks have been around 5:00 am or so......nothing at all in the evening or at night. Can anyone enlighten me on why these deer would only be using this corner of the field at this time of the morning? I know their patterns will soon change, but I'm trying to figure out how far they may be traveling to and from this field.

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Buck movement before daylight right now?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Ack, I haven't been seeing deer using the beans for awhile now (during day light). I know some of the soft mass is starting to fall, and I bet there are a few tree's dropping acorns. Throw a light on that field one of these nights and see if they are out there, just working a different part of the field then where your camera is.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 pm

I don't have an answer ACK, but I was going to start a similar thread because I saw a Poper and a 110ish buck walking across the middle of a field at 130 in the afternoon about a week ago. Weird.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:53 am

Could be that section of beans is more sparse than the rest of the field (easier travel). Normally the shaded parts of the beans/corn don't grow as well as the sun soaked crops.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:15 am

My best guess would this area could be at the end of their loop on the way back to the bedding area. They might be getting up and staging somewhere else in the evening.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:25 am

headgear wrote:My best guess would this area could be at the end of their loop on the way back to the bedding area. They might be getting up and staging somewhere else in the evening.

X2...... that makes pretty good sense.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:06 am

headgear wrote:My best guess would this area could be at the end of their loop on the way back to the bedding area. They might be getting up and staging somewhere else in the evening.

exactly what I was gonna say before I read this
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:10 am

I agree wity the previous posters. You are close to thier bedding, but they must be exiting at another spot. Do you have any beds located nearby? Try and figure out how they use the wind, food/water sources, terrain etc, when they exit, to see if you can pinpoint and exit route.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks guys...that's kinda what I was thinking, but these deer really only have limited areas to bed near this field. Main roads on two sides, a small woodlot on the opposite end (I know they bed here sometimes), and then a more open area with some pines about 200 yards from where they are exiting my field. Somehow they are getting by my two cameras going into the field...time to get the light out and find them earlier in the night I guess.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”