Suggestions for a base layer ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Suggestions for a base layer ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:16 pm

It seems like you guys were talking about warm clothes not to long ago here, but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, I want to get some sort of a base layer, like long underwear and a top, but I have no idea what to get. I want something that will keep me warm on a long all day sit... I thought I remember you guys talking about something with wool in it, but I have no idea what it is called and where to get it.... I'm sure Cabela's have something llike this, but they probably have lots of choices on what kind to get, and again, I'm looking for suggestions from you guys.... I thought I've heard that underarmor really isn't all that warm, and plus, I don't think I would like something that fit that tight on me.....

Any suggestions would be great ......
Thanks...

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Suggestions for a base layer ?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:37 pm

Merino wool is my favorite.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:38 pm

Merino wool is my favorite.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:09 pm

It is not cheap, but I switched from Under Armour to First Lite and man is this good stuff. Once you invest in the entire line you will have the best base layer I believe on the planet. Wool even keeps you warm when it is wet, it truly is worth the investment but that is also how you have to look at it. Great stuff. www.firstlite.com
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:22 pm

What I wear is a walmart generic brand of underarmour type material, and then I have a fleece pajama bottom that I wear over that, then camo jeans. If its super cold I wear the same with camo bibs over it that I put on when I get to my stand. How warm is this combination? I also wear it under my waders which are uninsulated, when I wade for late winter early spring walleyes in water thats 40 degrees and I can be comfy for an hour or two before I have to get out of the water.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:38 pm

silk long undies from campmor
then merino
then fleece
then insulation/outer/rain
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:14 am

Whatever you do dont put cotton next to your skin in cold weather. Wool is fine if it doesnt bother you. I always use a poly under shirt (cant have a thread like this without seeing mention of Under Armor), so an under armor like, but save your money use the cheap stuff. Then depending on how cold, next layer is either a fleece or a cotton sweatshirt. If really cold I wont put on a cotton sweatshirt until layer 3. Then just use your layering and outerwear from there. Another jacket, or fleece layer or two, bibs and a parka or outer or coveralls. I am just being general here.

There are some great clothing systems out there. But I never really get cold hunting because as soon as I start to get cold I will be on the move. But for stand sitters in late season, there are some great clothing systems to consider including Heater Body suits and Warm Bags and the like.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:16 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Whatever you do dont put cotton next to your skin in cold weather. Wool is fine if it doesnt bother you. I always use a poly under shirt (cant have a thread like this without seeing mention of Under Armor), so an under armor like, but save your money use the cheap stuff. Then depending on how cold, next layer is either a fleece or a cotton sweatshirt. If really cold I wont put on a cotton sweatshirt until layer 3. Then just use your layering and outerwear from there. Another jacket, or fleece layer or two, bibs and a parka or outer or coveralls. I am just being general here.

There are some great clothing systems out there. But I never really get cold hunting because as soon as I start to get cold I will be on the move. But for stand sitters in late season, there are some great clothing systems to consider including Heater Body suits and Warm Bags and the like.

good onfo lou
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks Bighunt. And I went back and read dreaming bucks question again. When it comes to wool, I love wool and have some old timer red plaid, and yes it maintains some insulation when wet, but the traditional stuff is not very wind or water proof. I would use wool when not real wet or windy, or as a mid layer.

The wool blends and synthetics have addressed this, but you will add noise as well. But also important to note, you can get away with noisier outer garments in windy and wet weather.

I love traditional wool
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:34 am

I think each person is different, some of us are furnaces and some of us are cold blooded. Personally I thought the generic under armour stuff was completely worthless at keeping me warm. It did wick moisture but that didn't help me. I bought the Under Armour Cold Gear which is MUCH thicker than the cheaper stuff and I also bought it 3 sizes too big and in tall size. It's tight, but not stripper tight. That means that I'm not embarassed to wear it around in public as it doesn't look painted on.

That's all I wear under my Gray Wolf Woolens, 1, 2, or 3 layers of Under Armour cold gear, even in severely cold temps.

During early season I wear the cheap regular brands of wicking loose fitting shirts instead of tight stuff, it works great.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:44 am

Muddy that is a great point we are all a little different. And that is why I was speaking in generalities. I don't think Under Armor has patents on its fabric its just polyester, they are just a dominant marketer. Different weight fabrics as they move through their product lines, but nothing special. Therefore there product really cant keep you any warmer than Wal Mart knock off polyester of the same weight.

For Base layers, I would think Sportsman's Guide Military surplus or some of that really warm looking thick fleece underwear would be the ticket. And fleece is just a brushed or fluffed polyester.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:45 am

Oh and Muddy, and I agree that your Grey Wolf Woolens are a top notch cold weather system
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 am

Well, I went to cabelas this morning, & ended up scoring on their polartec base layer system.... I got top & bottom. I hope I like them, they feel good putting them on when I got home....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:15 am

The Cabelas polartec stuff is quite good from what I've read. I have a polartec fleece for general wear and I LOVE it.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:41 am

ANYTHING but cotton! lol

I like Under Armour cold gear for the legs, thats all I need as I dont get cold down below only up top.

This year I have a lot of fleece and polyester.

IU ordered some Poly Pro, base layers from a military surplus site, and let me tell you for 7 bucks a pair, I will be ordering more when theyre available.

I also ordered a 100% Wool sweater that was Military Surplus and it was 13 bucks, and great quality.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”