Suggestions for a base layer ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Suggestions for a base layer ?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Thanks Bighunt. And I went back and read dreaming bucks question again. When it comes to wool, I love wool and have some old timer red plaid, and yes it maintains some insulation when wet, but the traditional stuff is not very wind or water proof. I would use wool when not real wet or windy, or as a mid layer.

The wool blends and synthetics have addressed this, but you will add noise as well. But also important to note, you can get away with noisier outer garments in windy and wet weather.

I love traditional wool

I was only referring to the Merino wool base layers and they are soft and not itchy at all. Works well if you work up a bit of a sweat in keeping you warm, I wear Gray Wolf Woolens as an outer layer for all the other elements. I think Muddy is right though. My brother can wear almost nothing and be warm when I am freezing to death. I am really cold blooded.
Last edited by Indianahunter on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Little late on this since the OP has already bought something, but I suppose I'll give my .02 for anyone else reading..

I wore under armour for years, and it does an ok job of wicking sweat, but it doesnt insulate much once you get to the stand. Last season I got some merino wool made by Minus 33, and the stuff is AWESOME! I wish I wouldve never wasted my time with under armour and just got merino wool right away..

I wear the midweight stuff, and it does a good job. I also wear the top during turkey season in the spring, as it is kinda like a long sleeve shirt, but helps keep me warm and does an excellent job of wicking sweat if I happen to work up a little sweat..
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:31 pm

under armour cold gear (not very warm, more for moisture wicking)
justin charles long underwear(merino wool)
fleece (something light and warm)
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”