ohio buck season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

ohio buck season

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:25 am

just looking for a little information on the ohio bow season. i'm from northwestern pa and would like to take a few weekends and try my luck there but i know nothing about ohio rules and regs, tag costs, etc. also if anyone could give me an idea of some close public or accesible private land with nearby cabins to rent thatd be grand. just want to give another state a shot that i can get to within a couple hrs of home. i only hunt ny and pa now..time to broaden.

Spysar
500 Club

Re: ohio buck season

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:43 am

Since you obviously have a puter, you should look up Ohio DNR. They will tell you the rules and regs. There will also be info on public land. Ohio is big. You should narrow it down to where your willing to drive to and go from there. I hunted Ohio in 09 and tags cost me about $150.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:18 am

was able to get good info with what you recomended . thnx for the help spysar
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:08 am

Once you pick an area you want to hunt let us know. We (I) would be glad to help you pick some spots.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 am

so far we(my hunting buddy and i) have only narrowed it down to ashtabula county. really don't know what to do from here. hoping to just take a day soon and go check out the area and just hope to stumble across some descent public land. we are new to the whole travel idea so we dont have much to go on. any help is greatly appreciated
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:10 am

Check out the post, "first DIY out of state hunt". He is also going to Ohio (along with tons of michiganders) and you can see how to get a head start on finding some good spots. First 2wks of November its tough to find a spot to park. Id plan an earlier hunt and if it works out, great. If not, you can go back during the rut with a better sense of what the land looks like.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Check out the post, "first DIY out of state hunt". He is also going to Ohio (along with tons of michiganders) and you can see how to get a head start on finding some good spots. First 2wks of November its tough to find a spot to park. Id plan an earlier hunt and if it works out, great. If not, you can go back during the rut with a better sense of what the land looks like.

i'm not having any luck finding this post
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:13 pm

admiral04 wrote:Re: ohio buck season

i'm not having any luck finding this post

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8717
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Mosquito Creek Wilderness Area/Mosquito Creek State Wildlife Area and the Grand River Wilderness Area look great and WILL hold some BIG bucks. There should be some real giants in there. Especially the Mosquito Creek Area. New Lyme Wilderness Area should also hold some good bucks. There doesn't seem to be much for public land hill country around there so it may take more leg work to find some good spots to hunt.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”