What do think seperates success from failure?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

Re: What do think seperates success from failure?

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:05 am

So many great responses! I think you have to have a few things to be successful in killing mature bucks in addition to what has already been mentioned. I believe you have to be obsessed. Obsession will lead to becoming a student of the game, desire, time, and all the other traits you must obtain to put down the dandy's consistently. I also think you have to be somewhat hard hearted. I know that sounds odd, but you have to get over the heart aches of failures and close calls. Its a game of inches and lots of times we leave or take too many of them. More times than not we lose in the whitetail woods and if you cant shake the disappointment, it starts to eat at you. However if you can stay mentally strong and use the heart ache to strengthen you as a hunter I believe you become wiser. And when your wisdom increases so does your opportunities.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:49 am

That was fun to read again. Great topic to bump Gibby.

I think there are some great lists and they kind of state it in a round about way but I say number one is

SKILL. There are some people that are truly blessed in the art of hunting down big bucks, dan is definitely one but there are many others on here that are skilled in the art of getting big bucks.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Efficacy. Through accurate knowledge, understanding and wisdom. They reflect on past experiences to gain insight. They plan and prepare tirelessly to sharpen their intuition. This grants them an advantage over their quarry in similar circumstances and the ability to triumph unfamiliar situations.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:23 am

kenn1320 wrote:
I think there are more variables to answering this question then could possibly be addressed here. Here is my personal short list for reasons I think some guys are more successful than others.

1. Access to mature animals. I am very blessed and very fortunate to have a large chunck of private property that at least to a small degree I have some control over. The terrain, crops, forest, and genetics are all great for quality deer. I know many many guys who have very small parcels of land to hunt or are forced to hunt public lands. So access to properties to quality animals is #1 to me.

2. Time. Some guys are lucky, and some guys are consistent. The guys who are consistently putting good deer down year after year the common thread with all of them is they are the guys who get to spend the most time working at it. It is not food plots or any other big buck pixie dust...It is the most shoe leather on the ground in the off season and the most hours logged on stand. Some people simply don't have the logistical advantage or the personal time to spend in the woods. For the guys with little ones that are too young to go or are just not intersted in the outdoors as well as wives I commend you for every sacrifice of time in the woods that you dedicate to them. They grow up fast and you can never get that lost time back. God and family first. What a tremendous blessing it is to be in creation and to have the priviledge to enjoy it, but what a lifetime honor and acheivment it is to spend time nurturing and caring for others.

3. Discipline and Patience. Knowing what to do and how to do it is one thing. Actually doing it is another.

There are many more I could list but this is sufficient for my short list I guess.

X2 Great post. Since I'm the guy on the opposite end of the spectrum, I think the biggest factor is location. Sure some guys get lucky now and then, but luck for me would be even seeing a big buck. Since I started going out of state hunting, my sightings have sky rocketed. 4yrs of hunting KS and I killed my biggest buck to date after 28yrs of hunting MI. If you factor in I get to hunt about 5 days in KS a year, thats only 20 days of hunting.

Size of bucks in your area matters too... I hear a lot of guys say the biggest bucks they can get in there over hunted area of Michigan i a 2 1/2 year old... Well, I have killed Pope and young 2 year olds up to 140 inches. I suspect it would take a 3 year old in your area to reach that size.
Andrea had a two year old on his farm that scored 170

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”