Wisconsin is kicking but on big deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: Wisconsin is kicking but on big deer

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:15 am

KLEMZ great info. Would love to see those stats over the last 10 years instead of just 2001

Without getting deep into the numbers just a general observation. MI has been giving two buck tags per hunter for some time. And a very long gun season. Around me we go for 15 days of firearms, shut for a couple days and go for 20 days of Muzzleloader.

I think we shoot too many bucks and have done it for too long.

I too am impressed with WI numbers, both hunter numbers and big deer shot.

In WI how many buck tags could you get before EAB? And is it over, if so, How many buck tags could you buy now?

On another note, OH just passed MI for bowhunter numbers in the last couple of years, and they are putting some nice deer down as well. Wonder how many buck tags/hunter they get down there.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:48 am

not sure when it changed early 90s maybe but for gun not bow in WI you are allowed to group hunt.That is as long as you are within talking distance you alone can shoot as many bucks as available hunters with tags that are within voice range.Not sure but vision of another group hunter may be allowed .Either way if not it doesnt stop anyone from shooting multiple bucks and have others tag them later.A 16 year old girl shot 3 or 4 p and y herself opening gun last year.In EAB you alone can earn an unlimited amount of buck tags by shooting unlimited amount of does.Example if you shot 5 does you could shoot 5 bucks.I have heard of some groups that drive alot where 1 hunter had shot 8 bucks himself.To me that is just piggish.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:05 am

Stanley wrote:Just read an article, Kentucky is the top state followed by North Dakota and Wisconsin was third. Iowa was 12th. Check it out in Petersen's Bowhunting.

Third in what? # of P&Y bucks entered?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:06 am

With the amount of gun hunters in WI alot of pope and young sized bucks are getting shot during gun season.That is another factor you need to consider in your overall numbers.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:49 am

Southern Man wrote:
Stanley wrote:Just read an article, Kentucky is the top state followed by North Dakota and Wisconsin was third. Iowa was 12th. Check it out in Petersen's Bowhunting.

Best odds of harvesting a trophy buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:06 am

In Wisconsin they entered one P&Y buck for every 719 licenses sold.
In Michigan, one P&Y buck entered for every 8,507 licenses sold! Yikes!

Sounds like you have a fantasy picture painted about the Wisconsin public land.

From where I'm standing (MI), [glow=red]ANY[/glow] ground within the WI border would be fantasy land for me. :lol: Look at those numbers, tough to argue with facts. Id have better odds just randomly shooting up in the air in WI, then hunting my azz off in MI. :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:49 am

Stanley wrote:
Southern Man wrote:

Best odds of harvesting a trophy buck.

I can see that. Watching how the hunting is goin here down thru the years, it's gettin better and better. On my end anyway.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”