Good example of a bottle neck.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Good example of a bottle neck.

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:21 am

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:34 am

BigHunt Looks very similar to the area I hunt in NE Iowa. Where do you see the most deer traffic coming from and going to? Kind of picking your brain here, to get a better idea of what is happening.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:55 am

the red cerical is the spot of discusion..the red dots are all of my located bedding areas does and bucks.... well in the mouring i see more movement coming from the feilds coming back to bedding ...thats when the thermals take affect ... untill then i see movment down low in vallys especially when there food scorce is low then they come up to bed when the thermals swicth. but half the time a big buck will be beded anyway before dawn so its hard to hunt deer when there allready beded.. unless the moon phase is correct thats the only time i hunt a buck bed in the mouring

the afternoon is differnt i hunt bedding in early season so i see most movement at the thermal tunnel close to bedding or in staging areas...the rut is differnt story but not diifernt in thermals .
i see deer down low in the mournig scent checking bedding areas untill the thermals swicth then there up high in the mixing zone traviling the thermal tunnel crusing for does ....wich leads me to cuts i love hunting oppisite of points . deer can only travel so many spots in cuts so narrowing it down is perty simple
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:02 am

i also forgot to mentoin that water holes are grate in hill country if you didnt know...

i hunt a few key holes in the mouring and in the after noon
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:07 am

BigHunt wrote:i also forgot to mentoin that water holes are grate in hill country if you didnt know...

I have a couple of water holes in flat land, that produce also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:09 am

BigHunt wrote:Image

the red cerical is the spot of discusion..the red dots are all of my located bedding areas does and bucks.... well in the mouring i see more movement coming from the feilds coming back to bedding ...thats when the thermals take affect ... untill then i see movment down low in vallys especially when there food scorce is low then they come up to bed when the thermals swicth. but half the time a big buck will be beded anyway before dawn so its hard to hunt deer when there allready beded.. unless the moon phase is correct thats the only time i hunt a buck bed in the mouring

the afternoon is differnt i hunt bedding in early season so i see most movement at the thermal tunnel close to bedding or in staging areas...the rut is differnt story but not diifernt in thermals .
i see deer down low in the mournig scent checking bedding areas untill the thermals swicth then there up high in the mixing zone traviling the thermal tunnel crusing for does ....wich leads me to cuts i love hunting oppisite of points . deer can only travel so many spots in cuts so narrowing it down is perty simple

Great informative.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 am

this is another unusaly bedding area ive been wacting this spot for a cople years now and still havent figured it out ive wachted a good eight pointer in here this past july the next mouring i soft bumpep the deer and sure enough the deer came out and ran down into the vally .....the thermal dont play in this one so its hard to determin why bucks bed here...its an old farm foundation and its over grown theres rubs right in the bed and a little bit of hair

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:21 am

mind you this is right on top of the hill
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:23 am

Stanley wrote:
BigHunt wrote:i also forgot to mentoin that water holes are grate in hill country if you didnt know...

I have a couple of water holes in flat land, that produce also.

ya its hard to find water up high in hill country so its easy to put them in the right locations and get a deer or two a season
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 am

this is a good example of what im talking about for water holes ... i placed this water hole in ( BLUE ) right next to a buck bedding area just in the bend of the terrian, the buck bedds on a south wind or south west wind . the bedds are in two locations (RED....ORANGE) i think he just beds on differnt winds if its good opeing afternoon im going to sneek in early and give it a whack 8-)

the bedding area is super thick on the point and open in the front when i was scouting this spring sitting in the bedd i could see how the deer was useing it to its advantage its perfect
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:40 pm

kenn i hope this helps
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Interesting pics, area looks cool with the gentle rolling hills. I can see where a buck can take advantage of the evening thermals, prior to heading into that field. With a west wind, he is likely facing east, watching his back trail and smelling danger that would be in the field?

The buck at the old farm house has likely just found himself some cover that doesn't get much human presence and he likely can view the road/trail that comes into the farm and determine then if he needs to sneak out the back or not. That spot doesn't really surprise me, as its likely over looked most of the time.

Can you describe your method of soft bump? Also the woods appears to be open where your pointing its a funnel. Is that the ravine/wash out?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:00 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Interesting pics, area looks cool with the gentle rolling hills. I can see where a buck can take advantage of the evening thermals, prior to heading into that field. With a west wind, he is likely facing east, watching his back trail and smelling danger that would be in the field?

The buck at the old farm house has likely just found himself some cover that doesn't get much human presence and he likely can view the road/trail that comes into the farm and determine then if he needs to sneak out the back or not. That spot doesn't really surprise me, as its likely over looked most of the time.

Can you describe your method of soft bump? Also the woods appears to be open where your pointing its a funnel. Is that the ravine/wash out?

when i soft bumped the deer i made sure the wind was in my face and slowly walked in were i saw him the night before ...the deer ran out to the left of me and ran down into the vally

the pic with the funnle ........that spot in the tree line is just were a tree feel and its alittle open there thats all
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:07 pm

when i soft bumped the deer i made sure the wind was in my face and slowly walked in were i saw him the night before ...the deer ran out to the left of me and ran down into the vally

Wow, not what I imagined for a soft bump. I was thinking you would go up wind of the bed and allow him to smell you and then slip out undetected. Interesting how everybody does it differently.

Again, cool pics, thanks for sharing.......
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 pm

kenn1320 wrote:

Wow, not what I imagined for a soft bump. I was thinking you would go up wind of the bed and allow him to smell you and then slip out undetected. Interesting how everybody does it differently.

Again, cool pics, thanks for sharing.......

ya the deer didnt see me just heard the camotion ...actually the deer statred runing at me at frist then cut away
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”