Lone wolf alpha hand climber vs Assult hand climber

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

76chevy
500 Club

Lone wolf alpha hand climber vs Assult hand climber

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:48 pm

how significant is the size difference between the two??

How significant is that 3 lb difference in terms of packing the thing in for half to 1 mile treks ??

I can't make up my mind which one to go with.

I know the specs for each but in real life is the assult platform too small to be comfortable for an afternoon or morning sit? It would not be my all day stand.
Last edited by 76chevy on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Re: Lone wolf alpha hand climber vs Assult hand climber

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 pm

alpha

assult

". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:21 pm

Never hunted from either HOWEVER I do have an assualt hang on. I can say I love the lighweight and am comfortable on the small platform BUT I'm not sure I'd be comfortable climbing the tree on that tiny platform....can't wait to see from others who have tried both!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:08 pm

Never hunted from a climber, but Ive owned both the 2011 alpha and the assault. The platform on the new assault is smaller than the one in past years. If they wouldve kept the platform the same size, I would say the assault climber wouldve been the perfect lightweight climber (since I think the assault hang on is almost the perfect lightweight hang on. I bought the new assault and the platform was surprisingly smaller than past years, and it was just too small for me, and I ended up returning it. The alpha platform is now noticeably larger, and I think well worth the extra 3 lbs.

I would invest in a molle system with the waist band for carrying it and you wont hardly notice the extra weight..
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Chevy I hunt from a hand climber. When I bought it the small looking seat ( in comparison to my previous stands) gave me doubts. But after using it I find it amazingly comfortable. And with my harness on I am very comfortable with the platform size.
fredhill

Unread postby fredhill » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:33 pm

ttsbuck wrote:Chevy I hunt from a hand climber. When I bought it the small looking seat ( in comparison to my previous stands) gave me doubts. But after using it I find it amazingly comfortable. And with my harness on I am very comfortable with the platform size.

i have the hand climber. i never had a problem with the platform size but i've never liked the seat comfort level. for me it is a few hours stand. i could never use it for a prolonged sit.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:40 pm

right, same here. I have a summit viper for the all day sits

I just want something quick light and easy to pack in for the short after or before work hunts

Thanks for the input, I am leaning towards the larger alpha climber with the molle system as I have on my alpha hang on stand.

fredhill wrote:
ttsbuck wrote:Chevy I hunt from a hand climber. When I bought it the small looking seat ( in comparison to my previous stands) gave me doubts. But after using it I find it amazingly comfortable. And with my harness on I am very comfortable with the platform size.

i have the hand climber. i never had a problem with the platform size but i've never liked the seat comfort level. for me it is a few hours stand. i could never use it for a prolonged sit.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:30 pm

I have the alpha hand climber, not the assault hand climber and really like it. I have had it about 5 years and it has served me well hunting a lot out of it each year on Public land. It is easy to carry, I think I would take the few extra platform inches instead of dropping the 3 lbs on packing the assault in. I love my assault hang on but often times I am higher in a climber then I would be in the hang on and want that extra platform space. Good luck
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:33 am

I don't think you notice the 3lbs and sometimes that little extra space is nice. I have packed my alpha in a long way without any problems. You really can't go wrong with either one.
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:49 am

I'm on the other side of the coin I guess. I've added and subtracted weight from my assault hang on and sticks by varying what I bring along and I can definitely tell the difference with an extra 3 pounds. The smaller platform size took a little adjustment but is fine now. To each his own I guess.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:55 am

mcmidc wrote:I'm on the other side of the coin I guess. I've added and subtracted weight from my assault hang on and sticks by varying what I bring along and I can definitely tell the difference with an extra 3 pounds. The smaller platform size took a little adjustment but is fine now. To each his own I guess.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Do you have the older assault or the new 2011 one? Because the old assault and the alpha only have about an inch difference in platform size, and the weight savings comes from the teardrop shape..the new assault however is a few inches shorter then the alpha, and with the seat being larger now than the old models, it puts you even further out toward the end of the platform..

Like I mentioned in my post above, I feel that the old assault is the perfect lightweight, stealthy stand, but the new one is just TOO small..

Also, I felt like I could hardly turn side to side while standing on the new assault without tipping the seat up - the back of your knees are still touching the seat when you are at the edge of the platform..and by looking at the pics, I dont believe the seat on the climbers tip up (correct me if Im wrong), so that might be something to think about as well..
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:33 am

Tough to come up with a happy medium. I had the hand climber with the bigger platform and didn't like it sold it after one year. Comfort vs light weight double edged sword.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:14 am

Stanley wrote:Tough to come up with a happy medium. I had the hand climber with the bigger platform and didn't like it sold it after one year. Comfort vs light weight double edged sword.

You didnt like it because of the weight? Or because of the comfort?
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:37 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
Stanley wrote:Tough to come up with a happy medium. I had the hand climber with the bigger platform and didn't like it sold it after one year. Comfort vs light weight double edged sword.

You didnt like it because of the weight? Or because of the comfort?

i think he means if you sacrifice weight, you loose comfort.

true, but I stand most of the time and I rarely sit all day. Ive done 7 hours in my assualt a few times...
You can't kill em on the couch
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:44 am

I sold my lone wolf sit and climb because I thought the seat sucked and it was difficult/impossible to pack the thing up quietly

I went with new summit viper for the all day rut hunts to replace the uncomfortable sit and climb

I am now looking to add a highly mobile hand climber stand to carry way in for the shorter evening/after work or before work, 2-4 hour type of hunts

the lone wolf hand climber packs up 100% better than the Lone wolf sit and climb in my experience

everything comes with a tradeoff though...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”