Do you hunt with others or by yourself?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lone wolf, always hunt by myself
32%
sometimes will with others
65%
always with a partner
3%

Total votes: 60
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:22 am

I have burned by so called hunting buddies so many times, I rarely if ever will hunt with anyone else. I find I do all the scouting and mapping work, finding properties, and they want to come in and hunt without doing any of the work.

Other properties I have had access to have allowed me to bring a guest with me...then I find out my guest is hunting there without me and bringing buddies with him after being told the ground rules.

I lost a very good property because of this. I have learned my lesson though--never again.

I find I hunt by myself all of the time during bow season. I gun hunt opening weekend with my brother and his wife, who I trust.

". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
76chevy
500 Club

Re: Do you hunt with others or by yourself?

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:28 am

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with trading a hunt with a buddy in another part of the state or for another species etc.

If someone else has done all the legwork though, then I am going to have something (a hunt in exchange, access to one of my properties, etc) to offer in return.
Last edited by 76chevy on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:30 am

76chevy wrote:I have burned by so called hunting buddies so many times, I rarely if ever will hunt with anyone else. I find I do all the scouting and mapping work, finding properties, and they want to come in and hunt without doing any of the work.

Other properties I have had access to have allowed me to bring a guest with me...then I find out my guest is hunting there without me and bringing buddies with him after being told the ground rules.

I lost a very good property because of this. I have learned my lesson though--never again.

I find I hunt by myself all of the time during bow season. I gun hunt opening weekend with my brother and his wife, who I trust.

I have heard of this so many times and frankly, I find it unbelievable. I couldn't imagine having the audacity to do something like that.

I usually hunt alone, but during the rut, I am usually hunting with some buddies.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:31 am

I think big antlers will make guys do dumb things sometimes.

I am still friends with this guy, but we don't hunt together anymore.

GRFox wrote:
76chevy wrote:I have burned by so called hunting buddies so many times, I rarely if ever will hunt with anyone else. I find I do all the scouting and mapping work, finding properties, and they want to come in and hunt without doing any of the work.

I have heard of this so many times and frankly, I find it unbelievable. I couldn't imagine having the audacity to do something like that.

I usually hunt alone, but during the rut, I am usually hunting with some buddies.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:40 am

I like to hunt alone on public land. I am pretty open with people about what I see but I won't give them my stand locations. I'm pretty certain none of the people I tell about these deer will put in the effort to kill any of them. Even so I have tons of spots doesn't bother me sharing my findings for the most part and just hunting other spots. I mainly do this on the more obvious spots I hunt but the small out of the way public spots are ones I don't acknowledge to anyone. Either way I pretty much hunt public on my own and keep my specific spots quiet. I had a buddy who just got out of the marines after 4yrs in Japan. He is picking up bowhunting and he lives in SE WI. I won't be doing much if any hunting down there this year so I gave him the gps coords of all my spots. Hope he sticks a monster :D

On private land I hunt with my buddy on his land or with my grandpa on our family land up north. If i had to pick two "hunting buddies" these two guys are the best around we bowhunt and gun hunt together and usually have good times.

Sorry about your situation 76chev....I had one situation where I found a big buck dead and grabbed my buddy to go back out and cut the rack off the rotting carcass with me. He suddenly saw it was an awesome spot and said he was going to hunt there... as though he just stumbled on it. That stuff is so irritating.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:41 am

I usually hunt with a buddy or my wife. We share the same private ground, and we generally hunt the same public areas. It can be tough juggling spots at times, but it is just as much fun seeing friends and family be successful. That being said, I don't think I could hunt with just anybody.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:53 am

Lone Wolf for me!!! Not many people I know will put in the effort to hunt BEAST style. I don't work for free ;)
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:59 am

Most of the time I hunt alone but I do get out with friends and family from time to time, too much fun not too.

I am careful about my spots, I keep things pretty quiet with my local hunting buddies. When friends and family come from out of town I have no problem setting them up on a honey hole.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 am

76chevy wrote:Don't get me wrong, I am fine with trading a hunt with a buddy in another part of the state or for another species etc.

If someone else has done all the legwork though, then I am going to have something (a hunt in exchange, access to one of my properties, etc) to offer in return.

My sentiments also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:42 am

headgear wrote:Most of the time I hunt alone but I do get out with friends and family from time to time, too much fun not too.

I am careful about my spots, I keep things pretty quiet with my local hunting buddies. When friends and family come from out of town I have no problem setting them up on a honey hole.

Same here. I also get tired of trying to coordinate my schedule with others to hunt. With a family and limited time, I need to go when I can. Can't be waiting around. Always take a few kids out with me during the season a few times though. Those are some of the best hunts.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
ah110

Unread postby ah110 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:50 am

i love hunting alone and love hunting it with some buds. its just as exciting to have one of my friends shoot something while were out then having killed something myself.

i try not to associate with people i wouldnt trust so hopefully i never get any spots stolen.
Southy77

Unread postby Southy77 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:28 am

I'd say I hunt with others about 50% of the time. When I do hunt with others it's usually with my son, my dad, and occasionally with a good buddy of mine.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:32 am

Most of the time I am hunting by myself especially during bowhunting. I enjoy the freedom and solitude. When I hunt with someone else I always seem to be rushing because they are always late or holding me up for some reason or another.

Gun hunting is the time of the year when all of the guys get together but we all still go our seperate ways and hunt alone anyway.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:57 am

90% of the time I hunt alone. I like it that way. The only people I hunt with are my wife (gun season) or my son. Seems that most don't want to put in the effort to hunt. I hunt to have fun and enjoy the outsoors but I take it kind of seriously.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:03 am

That a shame.

Im guess Im lucky, I have great buddies/hunting buddies.
We ALL look out for each other.

I hadnt killed a nice buck with a bow, and my buddies where there to put me in the best situations they could.

My buddy hadnt shot a turkey, I would take him right to a roosted birds tree.

Same with ducks or whatever... we love to hunt together. My buck beds Ive found and plan on hunting by myself with perfect conidtions... they know about them, and I dont have to worry about them jumping in my spots. I love talking "hunting plans" with buddies... hunting is about friends and the outdoorts... not killing.

If they cant hunt for some reason, they will give me any and all intel they have.

We are not greedy, my buddy shot 187 GIANT last year and we all new about it and where it was, no one stepped on his toes and we where all happy he killed the buck. I remeber so many nights drinking beer and all of us plotting on the best plan to tag the buck... it was awesome.

Ive never been burned by a good buddy, and the 4 or 5 close huting buddies I have will help and give it all away before they would stab you in the back.

I feel your pain, but there are good hunting buddies out there... Ive got some.
You can't kill em on the couch

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”