Hunting for hunting spots..how do you do it?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

76chevy
500 Club

Hunting for hunting spots..how do you do it?

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 am

What are some tips or tricks to gain deer hunting access?

I have my approach which has been reasonably successful (But LOTS of work) but am interested in how others approach this...

". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
Zap

Re: Hunting for hunting spots..how do you do it?

Unread postby Zap » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:57 am

Talk to the farmer's.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
ah110

Unread postby ah110 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:00 am

Ive gotten a couple spots through contacts. But all the rest are from busting my knocking on doors.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:03 am

yep, like everything else there are no shortcuts!

I try to present myself as a responsible professional and deer hunter.

I always offer to bowhunt ONLY if they are uneasy with firearms. This has gotten me on many properties that would have been No access otherwise

ah110 wrote:Ive gotten a couple spots through contacts. But all the rest are from busting my knocking on doors.
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 am

I gave up knocking on doors, not sure if I was just unlucky or every land owner in the state has family that deer hunts. Now I just look for my little piece of on public ground, and by I mean the harder to access and hunt usually = larger bucks.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:11 am

In New Hampshire UNLESS its posted you can access ANY/Most properties.
Of course it's polite to ask which I do on obvious properties with many folks declining access:(
Archery is stealth like, so I usually go under the radar.
In & Out before anyone knows what happened...

If I lived in a state that required permission I would probably buy my own piece of land or lease?...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:29 am

When asking for permission, I have found that it helps if you ask if you can BOW hunt on their land..dont just say hunt. Many times, landowners may either be uneasy about people out on their land with guns, or they or their friends already gun hunt it, but many of those people will be more than willing to let you hunt out there during bow season..

It helps me out a little that hardly anyone in my area bowhunts, so there isnt much competition..
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:03 am

cornfedkiller wrote:When asking for permission, I have found that it helps if you ask if you can BOW hunt on their land..dont just say hunt. Many times, landowners may either be uneasy about people out on their land with guns, or they or their friends already gun hunt it, but many of those people will be more than willing to let you hunt out there during bow season..

It helps me out a little that hardly anyone in my area bowhunts, so there isnt much competition..

good tip 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:06 pm

Rural church's.......let the minister know that you are willing to help out the landowner with chores.
Lotsa older folks that need help.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:31 pm

Be polite and ask in person, name drop on farmers that have already given you permission and wear NICE clothes. Not a suit and tie... but dont go up dressed like a hag either! Ive had alot of success just talking with people first hand and then going back about permission. Sometimes I just ask to shed hunt, set cameras, ect. and then go in for the kill on getting "archery" only permission since there are alot of gun hunters.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:03 pm

headgear wrote:I gave up knocking on doors, not sure if I was just unlucky or every land owner in the state has family that deer hunts. Now I just look for my little piece of on public ground, and by I mean the harder to access and hunt usually = larger bucks.

Dont give up bud, AH110 and I knocked on over 90 doors straight in Connecticut last year without a single yes, we wound up with only one spot.
fredhill

Unread postby fredhill » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:09 pm

since i refuse to lease ground i have lost alot of places since the late '90's. but i always seem to be able to find some new spots. my #1 way of getting new spots is ALWAYS be looking. now days i get most of my spots when someone mentions a location in conversation. i.e. "i was at my wife's parents house out in 'wherever'. they have some nice ground" i don't beat around the bush, i flat out ask right then and there "do you think they would let me bowhunt?". that method has been way more successful than blind door knocking. the relative asking for you is more likely to get you on the property. i have been given permission for hunting farms, small 10 acre woodlots, and alot of suburban spots. in the suburbs having an 'in' is practically the only way to get access.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:19 pm

wisconsin just started the volutary pulic access and habitat incentive program. it will just be more public land open to evryone, but will disperse hunters abit more.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:26 pm

hey whitetail havent heard of that can you give me some more info on it?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:30 pm

whitetail007 wrote:wisconsin just started the volutary pulic access and habitat incentive program. it will just be more public land open to evryone, but will disperse hunters abit more.

ya do you got any more info on that bud 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”