Need A Kitchen Pass?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

How Many Times A Season, On Average, Do You Need A Kitchen Pass?

I couldn't care less and never ask.
55%
I average once or twice a season when something pops up.
18%
I like to ask on a regular basis, communicating is key.
27%
I need a KP for every outing.
No votes

Total votes: 22
Uncle Lou

Re: Need A Kitchen Pass?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:21 pm

I tread softly, but usually just tell my boss, I mean wife when I plan to go. I travel a bit for work and sometimes travel to hunt. So I see the stress on my family at times in Nov and Dec.

Once on our 14th Anniversary I was coming in from Pittsburgh. It was Nov 21, got in about 9pm. There was some leftover dinner sitting out and I grabbed a bite and went to bed. Woke up early and decided to go up the road to see what may happen. At the coffee pot there was a note, that said Happy Belated Anniversary. At this point I realized I forgot my anniversary.

What would you all do at this point?

I went up the road and hunted. Came back and got shot by my wife when I reentered the house. I survived and pressed charges and got myself a mistress. Just kidding. She forgot too, and we are still happily married. How would you leave that.

Kitchen pass's are sometimes the most difficult aspect of hunting.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:45 pm

i refused to get married during the season and settled on august..same week as her birthday so i cant forget and i only have to buy one gift!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:54 pm

I plead the 5th! :lol:

Actually, I'm single right now, but I have lost more than one significant other due to my unyielding ways. I make it real clear right from the start, but are still never quite prepared. ;)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:55 pm

swamp-assassin wrote:i refused to get married during the season and settled on august..same week as her birthday so i cant forget and i only have to buy one gift!

When I got married I was young, and only bowhunted, so I got married during gun season. Oops
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:58 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:
swamp-assassin wrote:i refused to get married during the season and settled on august..same week as her birthday so i cant forget and i only have to buy one gift!

When I got married I was young, and only bowhunted, so I got married during gun season. Oops

my family freaked out because my cusins wedding was on halloween .......theres only one place im going to be on halloween......some where in a tree 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:23 pm

Once apon a time I did what I wanted when I wanted to, got married and things pretty much stayed the same. Then the kids started dropping and I had to make some adjustments and prioritize.

I guess you could say I do need a kitchen pass but it's more along the lines of the wife knows I am going to hunt a lot and we kind of negotiate what works into everyone's schedule. I don't hunt as much as I want to but I am in the woods steady from mid Sept to the New Year and I take a week off during the rut so things are working out.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:30 pm

I GOT NO TIME FOR THAT B.S. ANYMORE.IM ENJOYING MY NEW LIFE AT 40 PLUS TO HAVE A WOMAN MESS IT UP.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Yup.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:45 pm

headgear wrote:Once apon a time I did what I wanted when I wanted to, got married and things pretty much stayed the same. Then the kids started dropping and I had to make some adjustments and prioritize.
I guess you could say I do need a kitchen pass but it's more along the lines of the wife knows I am going to hunt a lot and we kind of negotiate what works into everyone's schedule. I don't hunt as much as I want to but I am in the woods steady from mid Sept to the New Year and I take a week off during the rut so things are working out.

X2... As the kids get older she cares less and less. But she knew from the start that I'd be in the woods alot from sept-dec. I can't complain I got it pretty good.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:58 pm

Not married don't ask permission. Things have recently changed though started dating my girlfriend of 2+ yrs now while I was living 10 mins from her. Have since switched schools and live 2.5hours away. We make it work but long distance is tough and its harder to balance my weekends between her and hunting. I'm 2.5hrs away from her but only 1hr away from where I do most of my hunting. I don't ask permission or have to but I get the "disappointed girlfriend" when I tell her I'm choosing hunting which is a lot harder to deal with than the angry girlfriend. Nothing cures the headaches of an angry girlfriend like climbing in the old treestand :lol:

The biggest trouble is that her birthday is opening weekend of bowseason :shock: I could slap her momma for that one! Getting smart though I will spend her birthday with her but we did the celebrating/events etc last weekend so it wouldn't take up a weekend of hunting!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Been dating a girl for over 6 years, never have to ask to go but I do spend extra time with her before I go on multiple day hunts. She gets better every year. You gotta let them know from the very beginning! I'm sure it will change if we have some kiddies though
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:37 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:Been dating a girl for over 6 years, never have to ask to go but I do spend extra time with her before I go on multiple day hunts. She gets better every year. You gotta let them know from the very beginning! I'm sure it will change if we have some kiddies though

Yep communicating the addiction from the very beginning is key...I'm not sure if its because I'm a bit younger and so are the women I interact with or if they are all a little whack :lol: but pretty certain my gf though she could "change" me when we started dating. I told her if ever put in the ultimatum where I had to chose ANYTHING over my hobby of hunting, that hunting would win out 10 times out of 10 times so she better not even play that card. She is getting better now. She asks me to go shining all the time, talks about gun hunting yr round as she has been gun hunting with me the last few yrs under the mentor program and she has a better grasp of how much of my life hunting is. She is getting better but she still doesn't quite get it LOL Someday she will understand. I took her to the archery range and she shot one of their bows and didn't take an interest in it. The bad in that is that I don't spend quite as much time a field in fall as if she were to come with. The good in it is that bow-hunting to me is alone time or man time for me to be with my buddies, grandpa or dad when we set up for some weekend bow camps and it looks like its going to stay that way. 8-)
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Not married anymore don't ask permission. (It's maybe one of the divorce reason :lol:
But my 1st passion is my soon...so I keep is need in first in my mind.
The good point is that he is almost 10 years old so I begin to share outdoors with him...

I'll never make the same mistake again, even a donkey does not stumble twice over the same stone (French expression ;) )

Anyway, today like yesterday my real Mistress is the hunt!!!!!!!!!!!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:10 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Not married don't ask permission. Things have recently changed though started dating my girlfriend of 2+ yrs now while I was living 10 mins from her. Have since switched schools and live 2.5hours away. We make it work but long distance is tough and its harder to balance my weekends between her and hunting. I'm 2.5hrs away from her but only 1hr away from where I do most of my hunting. I don't ask permission or have to but I get the "disappointed girlfriend" when I tell her I'm choosing hunting which is a lot harder to deal with than the angry girlfriend. Nothing cures the headaches of an angry girlfriend like climbing in the old treestand :lol:

The biggest trouble is that her birthday is opening weekend of bowseason :shock: I could slap her momma for that one! Getting smart though I will spend her birthday with her but we did the celebrating/events etc last weekend so it wouldn't take up a weekend of hunting!

OMG backwoods what are goingto do :shock: ......i know..... hunting comes first :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:00 am

I have 2 little kids and a wife that stays home with them (and thankful she does) so I have had to adjust some to keep her sane and happy. :lol:

I pretty much hunt before and after work when I want around home

I also take the kiddos scouting with me a lot of the time. One is old enough to walk and the other goes in a backpack carrier with me sometimes. Wife just needs some time to herself now and then, so she is glad for me to take the kids with me on the outdoor stuff. Took the baby to the archery shop last night to get the bow worked on and he loved it there

They won't be small forever, and I have many more years to hunt (I'm 31) , and many years to hunt WITH them. At times, I find myself frustrated not being able to hunt everyday as I would like but it is precious time that will go quickly.
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”