Friends you have helped bag a deer. (Add your story)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: Friends you have helped bag a deer. (Add your story)

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:56 am

SWEET storys..... i always love hearing good huntin storys brings back old GOOD memorys 8-) 8-) 8-)

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:14 pm

It had been a long time coming for my dad. He had gone his entire life without shooting a nice buck. The guy is terribly unlucky. He started bowhunting several years ago and has had many chances, but unfortunately due to earn a buck and a couple mishaps he was never able to close the deal on a nice buck. We would often hunt the same spots, but I was the one that always got lucky. He drew a tag for Iowa in 2009, and ended up losing a nice public land buck due to a poor shot. Last year, his luck changed. Fortunately, my dad drew a tag for Iowa again and made the trip down the weekend of October 16th. The hunt started when my buddy, Peter, (Lynchpin) bumped a buck exiting his stand the previous morning. We decided to go in and do some scouting that day. Peter and I picked out a tree and my dad and I went in the next morning to see if we could get a crack at him coming back to bed. At around 7:20 the buck made his way in just out of bow range. We snort wheezed and the buck turned and headed straight for us. He rubbed a cedar tree 10 yards behind us before offering my dad a 10 yard broadside shot. The buck ended up being 11 points and 140". It was an exciting hunt and I'm glad I was able to be in the tree with him that morning. It was his first buck with a bow!

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:15 pm

Haus86 wrote:It had been a long time coming for my dad. He had gone his entire life without shooting a nice buck. The guy is terribly unlucky. He started bowhunting several years ago and has had many chances, but unfortunately due to earn a buck and a couple mishaps he was never able to close the deal on a nice buck. We would often hunt the same spots, but I was the one that always got lucky. He drew a tag for Iowa in 2009, and ended up losing a nice public land buck due to a poor shot. Last year, his luck changed. Fortunately, my dad drew a tag for Iowa again and made the trip down the weekend of October 16th. The hunt started when my buddy, Peter, (Lynchpin) bumped a buck exiting his stand the previous morning. We decided to go in and do some scouting that day. Peter and I picked out a tree and my dad and I went in the next morning to see if we could get a crack at him coming back to bed. At around 7:20 the buck made his way in just out of bow range. We snort wheezed and the buck turned and headed straight for us. He rubbed a cedar tree 10 yards behind us before offering my dad a 10 yard broadside shot. The buck ended up being 11 points and 140". It was an exciting hunt and I'm glad I was able to be in the tree with him that morning. It was his first buck with a bow!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) good deal
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Great thread ED,

Nice stories to boot Indiana, Headgear, Haus, and Stanley.

One of my best hunts was with my good friend Dan's son (Not Infalt, the Other Dan -He's a gauker here) Patrick the Killer.

I went on a stalk with the young man in 09. We saw two deer bed down out in some golden rod, or tall dead grass, whatever you call it. We sat in the blind and plotted our stalk.

When we cleared the trees we didnt see them, so we walked wind in our face for the last 50-70 yds and that is when I saw them bedded. I said "there they are" " I will shoot the doe, when the buck jumps up shootem" Bang, Bang. Two dead in the bedroom.
Here he is with his first nice buck as a youth
The kill scene
The tail gate pic
Me and Patrick the Killer
Then he shot another buck that evening. he has two bucks on the pole
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:56 pm

Many years ago my buddy and I were doing drives for each other, on our way home I said let's go check this field real quick. We got there and I said, head up there to those bales and shoot something. This is what he shot.

Few years ago we had a huge front blow through, 50+ mph winds. It was my buddies turn to hunt this one particular property and on the phone I said, take your gun with you, tonight with this wind you can get away with shooting it as no one will hear you. It was legal but we had said to ourselves we'd only bowhunt it unless a perfect opportunity came up. He said, Yeah, good idea, then shot Kong.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:10 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Indianahunter wrote:My dad, My youngest brother, and my buddy Andy. All got their best bucks ever last year from sets I put them on. I was unable to hunt because of an injury and I couldn't have been more excited if I had killed those deer.

Wow - can your Dad adopt me - knowing I could have a brother like you ;)
Great deer and congrats

:lol: I put them in transitional funnels between bedding and escape routes knowing it was for the shotgun opener. My buddy Andy was put in a blind over looking a narrow strip of woods connecting two large bodies of woods. It worked out pretty well and they were in two different counties. However....I love those guys, but there on their own this year unless God forbid something else happens that prevents me from hunting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:17 pm

headgear wrote:Wow Indiana, nice work! I'd say you owe you one. :lol:

:lol: Nah....trying to get the ol' feller on a nice 10 this year. I love doing it. That buck he shot last year I am guessing was 6 1/2 years old and every bit of 300lbs....that thing was huge. I had never seen that buck before though....no pictures, no sightings or anything. That buck my brother shot isn't a monster has a jacked up rack but it was one I wanted taken out and I knew he would be. He was a very agressive little buck. If you were rattling he was running in. My brother is pretty new to hunting this was his biggest buck and his first ever with a bow he was pretty stoked about it.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Great stories and pics by every one. Muddy you crack me up dude...you look the same in old pics as you do now.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:35 pm

This stories a little less dramatic from 2009...

My other older buddy has a great spot to hunt - just spooked a bunch of deer.
So I walked the spot and helped him play the wind a little better along with giving him a ladder stand that I helped him place the "day before".
I called this buck "BINGO"! :D

Of course he called me to help drag his buck out of the swamp and bring to the weigh station - which I did with great pleasure.
Just wished he would have smiled a little more :P I called the buck "Bingo" I called him "Crabby Bastard" :lol:

For Christmas I gave both gentleman a framed 5X7" picture of their bucks as a wonderful memory prior to their mounts returning...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:23 am

Lot of great stories; hunters helping hunters.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:59 am

wow there are some definite hogs shot by friends of Beasts :D
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:32 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:I got to thinking back about my buddy's deer from last year and the trek he and I had together.

Buck dressed @ 196lbs. and green gross @ 146"

I wasn't far off when I scored him by eye in 2010 (148 1/8) - results from tonight and his mount...

Last edited by Edcyclopedia on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:33 pm

sweet story
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:07 pm

Stanley you shoot some big bucks I hopefully can shoot one like those one of these years
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:18 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:I got to thinking back about my buddy's deer from last year and the trek he and I had together.

Buck dressed @ 196lbs. and green gross @ 146"

I wasn't far off when I scored him by eye in 2010 (148 1/8) - results from tonight and his mount...

Great story.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”