Stacking the odds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Re: Stacking the odds

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:07 pm

xpauliber wrote:BuckerR, if you are still around, check out Dans tactical videos available in the store. Marsh bucks and Hill country .....you will learn a TON as most all of us on this site have. Welcome to the beast!

X2 Welcome to the beast!
I do like compare those tech and whitetail behavior with the deer I have here in Europe & prepare my US trips...
For example soft bumps do work very well with Roe Deer but absolutely not with Red Deer (they live for at list 15 days...).
And Hard bumps work with both but Red Deers have a so big territory that to much I my opinion or you should have a giant territory.

Also I wish you a great success Indianahunter!

"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:44 am

BigHunt wrote:
Indianahunter wrote:
jack_4mn wrote:Would you care to share more in-depth info about your strategy to stacking in this situation? Maybe even pics of that 140" buck you stacked and killed ;) ? Once you kick that buck out, how do YOU figure out where he is going to bed next, being 1200 acres is massive. Example, do you start shining crop fields, do you believe he beds at a specific bed during specific conditions, etc? Are you putting trail cams up everywhere? You get the idea. Personally, I'm still learning this cat-n-mouse game. I wouldn't have the time ever to learn every acre of a 1200 chunk to try the method of stacking.

I would think leaving the buck alone in a 3 acre thicket and trying to learn his exit route a better strategy here, as far as odds of killing him go? Maybe wait for the pre-rut time frame? Gun season? I think there is something to be learned here..

I forgot...here is the pic. I have posted this before but couldn't find the link. This right before I took him to the taxidermist the next morning. The in field pics I have are from a waterproof 35mm disposable camera I used to carry in my backpack. I need to get those scanned in case something ever happened to them. He grossed 164 3/8 but netted 144 6/8 my best buck to date...hopefully more to follow him.

:shock: :shock: 144 thats it i HATE the netting system

Nets are for fish.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:29 am

:lol: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:17 pm

I love all the thought & stratigy behind your whole plan for this buck. It's obvious you know what this buck likes to do bc it makes him close to unkillable so you are bettering the odds of you killing him, great plan! Not like you are doing this tactic with every bedding area on the farm, just this 1 you can't hunt.
As for timing of doing this seems like the right time bc there will be enough time for him to settle in his new location & be moving again since he won't encounter scent there, till you put an arrow in him!

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:28 pm

rudy78 wrote:I love all the thought & stratigy behind your whole plan for this buck. It's obvious you know what this buck likes to do bc it makes him close to unkillable so you are bettering the odds of you killing him, great plan! Not like you are doing this tactic with every bedding area on the farm, just this 1 you can't hunt.
As for timing of doing this seems like the right time bc there will be enough time for him to settle in his new location & be moving again since he won't encounter scent there, till you put an arrow in him!

[ Post made via Palm ] Image

Thanks Rudy. Will keep everyone posted.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:02 am

Bump. IH how did the stacking turn out?
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Neat conversation went down here. I swear just yesterday I was running this general plan past a fellow hunter. He would be out with binos watching where they scattered while I bumped out a no hunting thicket. IH has details and i dont so results will be a learning experience. Same old same old no more!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”