Let's talk does. Too many, not enough?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Let's talk does. Too many, not enough?

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:15 am

Do we have too many does in today's deer herds? Seems to be a big craze of killing does, just wonder what everyone else thinks.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Let's talk does. Too many, not enough?

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:28 am

I would say it depends on each individual area. Here in the U.P. in the southern areas doe's need to be thinned, in the central area where i live, it totally depends on how hard the winter was. I think across the midwest in general doe's need to be harvested. For sure makes the rut more "intense" when the ratio is closer to 1-1
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:29 am

Certain areas here in Michigan have very high numbers of does, but then there are areas where they are pretty scarce. I don't have any problems shooting does around my areas because of the high numbers. Guys don't take too many on the public land around here though.....they'd rather "get their buck".
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:33 am

I know we sure do with 60-80 deer per square mile, 16 bow hunters per square mile, and most of them shooting any spike or scrub that walks by we have a real doe problem, we were doing deer drives with bow only in December last year, your average push would produce a minimum of 20 does, and on a couple we had as many as 60 deer come by in 3 different waves all in about 8 minutes.

I will kill as many as I possibly can before November (unlimited doe tags).

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:40 am

Lots here.

Too many is better than not enough.
But a good ratio is the best.
I wish Kansas would do earn a buck and AR.
That would bring the ratio in order quick and increase the older buck population.
But it will never happen.

KDWP is screwed up on so many level's it ain't funny. :P

Hunted a "special" hunt run by the region public land manager last season.
Hunting by written permit only......

Lotsa illegal hunting......took down two illegal stands and left notes, he gave the poacher's the stands back.
Then made the comment to me "maybe we should put up no hunting sign's". :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:50 am

One area I hunt has a few does around, I get to take one extra doe a season. I can shoot two does if I was crazy and wanted to burn up my one and only buck tag.

The other area I hunt is hurting for deer but we have plenty of wolves and hard winters. It is a doe lotto area, for 3 years running now they have given out 100 doe tags split between 6000 hunters. I have never even bothered to apply for a tag. If you see a deer in this area consider it a good day. :?
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:08 am

too many.
You can't kill em on the couch
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:13 am

Zap wrote:Lots here.

Too many is better than not enough.
But a good ratio is the best.
I wish Kansas would do earn a buck and AR.
That would bring the ratio in order quick and increase the older buck population.
But it will never happen.

KDWP is screwed up on so many level's it ain't funny. :P

Hunted a "special" hunt run by the region public land manager last season.
Hunting by written permit only......

Lotsa illegal hunting......took down two illegal stands and left notes, he gave the poacher's the stands back.
Then made the comment to me "maybe we should put up no hunting sign's". :lol:

So true.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:17 am

U.P. MAN wrote:I would say it depends on each individual area. Here in the U.P. in the southern areas doe's need to be thinned, in the central area where i live, it totally depends on how hard the winter was. I think across the midwest in general doe's need to be harvested. For sure makes the rut more "intense" when the ratio is closer to 1-1

Isn't the reason the Midwest has a good number of bucks because they have lots of bucks being born?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:21 am

There are certainly a few areas that have to many does, but I believe most people take it over board and think that it does more damage than it actually does... Andreas illinois farm is a prime example. It has way to many deer and a very skewed ratio. I hunted there once for a weekend, I did not shoot anything but was amazed at the deer numbers. My 1st sit I saw about 200 deer including about 20 bucks. The vegitation is eaten as high as the deer can reach, and the population was out of control... Yet Andrea shot one of the top typicals in the state and a 217 inch non-typical off that farm that were both well over 200 pounds dressed.
So where is the negitive impact?
I also have noticed mature bucks tend to move earier when there is a large population... Its like the young ones up and moving give them a false sense of security... In populations with very low deer density I see deer become very nocturnal and daylight movement being a lot more confined to near the bedding areas...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:23 am

Lots here too. And I agree, too many is better than no enough...maybe. I went to a meeting with the fish & Game Dept a couple years ago and the big message was KILL DOES! They told us everything was fine with the herd as long as we keep killin does. I like alot of deer but don't want an out of control herd.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:25 am

GRFox wrote:I know we sure do with 60-80 deer per square mile, 16 bow hunters per square mile, and most of them shooting any spike or scrub that walks by we have a real doe problem, we were doing deer drives with bow only in December last year, your average push would produce a minimum of 20 does, and on a couple we had as many as 60 deer come by in 3 different waves all in about 8 minutes.

I will kill as many as I possibly can before November (unlimited doe tags).

[ Post made via Android ] Image

What area & state?
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:55 am

Unlimited doe tags here too, eab, still alot of does. I cant imagine hunting and not smash a couple does a year.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:31 am

dan wrote:There are certainly a few areas that have to many does, but I believe most people take it over board and think that it does more damage than it actually does... Andreas illinois farm is a prime example. It has way to many deer and a very skewed ratio. I hunted there once for a weekend, I did not shoot anything but was amazed at the deer numbers. My 1st sit I saw about 200 deer including about 20 bucks. The vegitation is eaten as high as the deer can reach, and the population was out of control... Yet Andrea shot one of the top typicals in the state and a 217 inch non-typical off that farm that were both well over 200 pounds dressed.
I also have noticed mature bucks tend to move earier when there is a large population... Its like the young ones up and moving give them a false sense of security... In populations with very low deer density I see deer become very nocturnal and daylight movement being a lot more confined to near the bedding areas...

My true sentiments also.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:37 am

dan wrote:There are certainly a few areas that have to many does, but I believe most people take it over board and think that it does more damage than it actually does... Andreas illinois farm is a prime example. It has way to many deer and a very skewed ratio. I hunted there once for a weekend, I did not shoot anything but was amazed at the deer numbers. My 1st sit I saw about 200 deer including about 20 bucks. The vegitation is eaten as high as the deer can reach, and the population was out of control... Yet Andrea shot one of the top typicals in the state and a 217 inch non-typical off that farm that were both well over 200 pounds dressed.

Good information.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”