Lifelong Hunting Goals or Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Lifelong Hunting Goals or Bucks

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Just wondering what kind of goals you guys have for yourselves and deer hunting? If anything, what would you like to say to yourself after looking back on your deer hunting career....Is your goal to shoot a mature buck every year? To someday shoot a giant that score "x" amount? Or to just enjoy the outdoors with friends and family? hunt for food? ect...

For me, among all the other great reasons to be a bow hunter I would really like to shoot a 170"+ typical with my bow someday, hopefully on purpose! What about you :)

When better is possible, good is never good enough
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: Lifelong Hunting Goals or Bucks

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:54 pm

I don't really have one set goal. I just want to kill big bucks! :twisted: However, I would like to kill a buck that I have history with or a buck that I had patterned and I killed him BEAST style!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Hmm thats an interesting question, and a tough one at that!

I dont know if I have an inches number in mind, and its tough to say "I want to kill a mature deer every year" or "kill this many each year", because I have no idea what my situation in life will be when I am older, and it all may change if I am able to travel and take out of state trips, etc...

The only thing I can really say right now is that I someday hope to have a trophy wall (room) that I can be proud of. Something that I can look at with a sense of accomplishment...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Czabs wrote:I don't really have one set goal. I just want to kill big bucks! :twisted: However, I would like to kill a buck that I have history with or a buck that I had patterned and I killed him BEAST style!

Right on!!! That is exactly how I would have answered. :D
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Two seasons ago I had the time of my life shooting 3 does and a nice buck on the public land. For me, to shoot a 120" buck on the public land around me would probably be a once in a lifetime thing and would be a worthy goal. I think that setting unrealistic goals takes all the fun out of hunting. You have to find ways to keep yourself motivated and into the sport, and if that means taking a smaller deer once in awhile then by all means do it.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Ack wrote:Two seasons ago I had the time of my life shooting 3 does and a nice buck on the public land. For me, to shoot a 120" buck on the public land around me would probably be a once in a lifetime thing and would be a worthy goal. I think that setting unrealistic goals takes all the fun out of hunting. You have to find ways to keep yourself motivated and into the sport, and if that means taking a smaller deer once in awhile then by all means do it.

A few years ago I called in a busted up buck that was about 12 inches wide or so. He would have been a 7 pointer but he had broke everything and ended up being a 4 pointer, just your everday 2.5 year old buck out cruising on public land during the rut. I shot him because I grunted him in, and i just about came unglued when I saw the arrow hit. My goals are to get on nicer deer and have fun doing it. I shoot the deer that have me shaking when I see them, and I cant always say x number of inches does that, sometimes an odd rack will do the same thing as a larger buck. If a deer comes in and I dont get shakey in the knee's, I dont shoot, if I do I shoot.

My goal for this year is to kill a 2.5 year old buck or better on public land with a bow and get it on tape. I have said all year thats the goal and I know when the first 2.5 year old or bigger walks in Im hitting record and seeing if I can reach that goal.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:
Ack wrote:
A few years ago I called in a busted up buck that was about 12 inches wide or so. He would have been a 7 pointer but he had broke everything and ended up being a 4 pointer, just your everday 2.5 year old buck out cruising on public land during the rut. I shot him because I grunted him in, and i just about came unglued when I saw the arrow hit. My goals are to get on nicer deer and have fun doing it. I shoot the deer that have me shaking when I see them, and I cant always say x number of inches does that, sometimes an odd rack will do the same thing as a larger buck. If a deer comes in and I dont get shakey in the knee's, I dont shoot, if I do I shoot.

My goal for this year is to kill a 2.5 year old buck or better on public land with a bow and get it on tape. I have said all year thats the goal and I know when the first 2.5 year old or bigger walks in Im hitting record and seeing if I can reach that goal.

Good Luck! Filming hunts is a blast!
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:10 pm

My goal is to spend time hunting in every midwest state at least once. I have hunted Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, and Minnesota. Kansas, Wisconsin, Missouri, Indiana, Nebraska, and North Dakota are still on the "to do" list.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:46 pm

Right now in hunting, my goal is to learn how to hunt mature deer effectively and consistently.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:17 am

Great question.....

I think as we age our goals shift and are changing, based on where we are at in life. Years ago I wanted to kill a big buck each year and eventually was accomplishing my goals. Yet, with kids and marriage, my priorities shifted and I then wanted to know I at least had good bucks to hunt, but the actual "Killing" was more out of reach due to limitations of time spent in the field each season being less and less to juggle family responsibilities.
As life progressed, I started to enjoy the comraderie of hunting with friends I hadn't seen in quite some time and wanted more of an old-school getaway hunt to get away from the daily hustle and bustle of life. Now I was looking to enjoy the time spent hunting and the experience more so than the actual goal of a kill. Guess what? I once again started to take better bucks in the new wilderness territory. Now, I want to enjoy the hunt and challenge myself in taking a north-woods B&C giant on his own turf....tracking in the snow. See the changes as life wanders ahead?

My point....challenge yourself to always enjoy the experience and then set personal goals to fit the situation.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:04 am

At this point in my life my goals are to get a few opportunities at mature bucks on public land every year. If I connect sweet, if not that is ok too. I would like to shoot a mature buck every year but I know some years are just not going to pan out so I have to take what I can get. Two little ones at home also limited my time in the woods so I just need to enjoy the time I have. I also have a few hunts planned with friends and family, our goals are often the same but as long as we have a good time that is all that matters.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:14 am

No pressure and have fun. Not wound tight about hunting as I was in the early years. I did not miss a day during archery season. Now I like to hunt when I want to hunt. No real goals set, goals are pressure packed and that is what I am eliminating. Still enjoy knocking down a big one though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:24 am

Hopefully, just being able to get out there for another 40 years or more. Every year is a success.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:27 am

I just want to kill big bucks. :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:39 am

My goal used to be 150" or better now it's all about getting my 8 yr old son on a good buck. He has started to show great interest in hunting and I want to feed his hunger for it. I remember when I started to learn deer hunting and how much I wanted to learn almost to being a pain in the a_ _ to everybody to try and learn and he's getting there LOL. I gotta feed his need for knowledge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”