Public Land buck I passed up!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Public Land buck I passed up!

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:46 pm

I was going through my footage from last season and thought I would show you guys this. Some of you might like it. Public land in Wisconsin October 7th. :mrgreen: Looking back I'm glad I didn't shoot :lol: . On the bottome right of the video screen you can select the quality, 1080 as the best.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bql4Spuvys[/bbvideo]
Last edited by Czabs on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: Public Land buck I passed up!

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:55 pm

decent public buck, i would say a 2.5 yo or a well off 1.5 yo.....good thing you passed and ended up with the beauty you drilled what, the next day??
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Yea the next day I shot mine. Your right with the age and he probably only scored 100 inches. It was in the heat of the moment when I said it was a 3 1/2yr old :lol: .
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Cool...thx for sharing!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Nice job passing........think he'll still be there this season?
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Food sources def changed in that area so who knows. I will find out though! :twisted:
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 pm

off topic but what kind of stand do you use curtis? i don't know if its just your videos but you always seem nice and high in the tree
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:21 pm

I use a Lonewolf hand climber. I want to eventually buy a hang on and sticks, that will be next years investment. I usually sit as high as possible (without being seen climbing the tree) and this given spot I could scout out some other spots at the same time. I was only up 20ft or so. The stand I shot my buck in I was probably 25-30ft.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:39 am

Czabs wrote:I use a Lonewolf hand climber. I want to eventually buy a hang on and sticks, that will be next years investment. I usually sit as high as possible (without being seen climbing the tree) and this given spot I could scout out some other spots at the same time. I was only up 20ft or so. The stand I shot my buck in I was probably 25-30ft.

Just curious, why so high. I have stands that are 20 feet and that is my highest. Normally 16-18 ft. is what I like. Nice video thanks for sharing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:45 am

Stanley wrote:
Czabs wrote:I use a Lonewolf hand climber. I want to eventually buy a hang on and sticks, that will be next years investment. I usually sit as high as possible (without being seen climbing the tree) and this given spot I could scout out some other spots at the same time. I was only up 20ft or so. The stand I shot my buck in I was probably 25-30ft.

Just curious, why so high. I have stands that are 20 feet and that is my highest. Normally 16-18 ft. is what I like. Nice video thanks for sharing.

Why not if your confident in the shot? I think I can get away with a little more movement when I'm that high when self filming. If there is sufficient cover down below I might opt to sit lower.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:58 am

Czabs wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Why not if your confident in the shot? I think I can get away with a little more movement when I'm that high when self filming. If there is sufficient cover down below I might opt to sit lower.

I guess being up would help if self filming. I have never found being up higher made any shot easier and in most cases it makes shots tougher. Throw in some wind and things can get real tricky in a hurry. That is why I don't hunt in the ozone.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:51 am

I think the shot angle would get tougher no doubt. Correct me if I'm wrong curtis but i think that area has lots of tall grass and brush and you want it higher to get a more "clear" shot through less brush?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:31 am

RaisedByWolves wrote:I think the shot angle would get tougher no doubt. Correct me if I'm wrong curtis but i think that area has lots of tall grass and brush and you want it higher to get a more "clear" shot through less brush?

I always have shooting lanes. Bottom line you gotta have a clear shot. Mistake made by a lot of hunters; do everything else right and no shot.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:00 pm

This spot doesn't have a whole lot of brush. Its actually pretty clear. I do think the shot gets tougher when you get higher but I feel as though it gives me an advantage self filming. And Stanley, when hunting public land I don't clear shooting lanes. I break a couple small branches and thats it. A lot of times I run and gun my sits I don't have time to be trimming branches when I get out of work, plus its illegal on public. :?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Czabs wrote:This spot doesn't have a whole lot of brush. Its actually pretty clear. I do think the shot gets tougher when you get higher but I feel as though it gives me an advantage self filming. And Stanley, when hunting public land I don't clear shooting lanes. I break a couple small branches and thats it. A lot of times I run and gun my sits I don't have time to be trimming branches when I get out of work, plus its illegal on public. :?

Kind of a double edged sword hunting where you can't open up shooting lanes. One of the things I always preach, if your going to hang them on the wall you gotta have a shot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”