Work is all done

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Work is all done

Unread postby rudy78 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:12 am

The work on my lease is all done for the year and I can't wait, I'm really excited for this fall. I think I we have a great chance at taking a few nice bucks out there this year. We made a few tweaks to some stands from last year and set up some new ones that have me super excited. Let me know what your thoughts are on where our stands are hung. There is CRP around the edge of all the woods, the crop is corn this year. For our food plots we planted part of them with a purple top turnip & groundhog radish mix and the other part with winter rye, winter peas & clover mix. In the one on the south we made it is square in the corner then made several long paths with space in between them and the grasses are about 6 feet tall, so it will force the deer to move around in those lanes to see all the deer feeding there, should help make the bucks more visible!!! Now if they just get some rain down there so they grow good.

Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Work is all done

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 am

Sounds like you got everything pretty well squared away. I can't give you an honest assessment because I don't know how you access your stands and what winds you plan to hunt. Come on October 1st 39 DAYS 8-)
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:29 am

got any pics of the deer ?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:54 pm

BigHunt wrote:got any pics of the deer ?

I looked at some of Rudy's leases in the past... they have shot some great bucks!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/H3C-Hone ... 4681886041
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Bucky wrote:
BigHunt wrote:got any pics of the deer ?

I looked at some of Rudy's leases in the past... they have shot some great bucks!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/H3C-Hone ... 4681886041

i belive him just cool to see pics to put to a story 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rudy78

Unread postby rudy78 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:50 am

Here are pictures of the 3 bucks killed off this farm last year. Last year my partner and I bowhunted the farm and then leased out the gun rights to the other guy who killed those 2 bucks in the first gun season (only 3 days). So it wasn't bad year at all!!! The giant buck was pretty much living in the draw on the NE corner, we had a couple of trail cams of him in that area, but last year didn't have any bow stands close enough and there was no way to hang & hunt in there because it is so thick. The reason he has velvet on yet is that there was a bullet wound in his neck, probably from late summer right as he was close to shedding. So he didn't really rut at all, which is also why his body is so small. The good thing is he was bedded with a doe when he shot her so hopefully he passed on his incredible genetics. We green scored him at 182 inches as 9 point. He shrank a ton though, not only was his rack in velvet but the bone was spongy, I'm sure it all had to do with his injury. My partners buck was killed on the first morning we were down there and scored 152, the weather warmed up after that & the big bucks stopped moving. You will be able to see my partners hunt on a future Hunting Beast TV show.

So far this year we don't have many trail cams yet, i only had 1 up down there and it wasn't in a very good spot there wasn't really any big runs and it could only get about 15 feet in front of it. When my partner hung it he didn't make a pathway out to the corn field that it was along and the weeds grew up so tall, oh well. Now we have it on one of those food plots though, so next time we pull it there should be a lot of good pics. We did get pics of a couple of bucks. I think 1 is a shooter even though he won't score great when you look at his bases & stuff I think he is pretty old. What do you think is he 4.5?

The little 8 has 6 1/2 bases and I'm sure was an older deer just not genetics like the other buck that is for sure!!

One of the trail cams of the giant 9

My partners first morning bow kill

My partners daughter killing her first deer on her first morning ever hunting!! Not a bad year for them on the first morning hunts in IL last year.

Here are trail cams from this year, is the 8 a 4.5?? I think the messed up buck is a deer the gun hunter seen in gun season dragging his left shoulder, it would make sense that this year his right side is now messed up, he will get the pass from us this year (maybe not Brent's daughter in the youth season though) and hopefully next year he recovers from it.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:02 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: wow nicw now thats what im talking about
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:27 am

You guys did kill some good ones.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:45 pm

ok....I would say you know what you are doing :lol: Great pics man thanks for sharing.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
rudy78

Unread postby rudy78 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks guys, so what do you all think of that 8, is he a 4.5, you think I should kill him this year?

I'm also really excited to see what difference having the food plots makes on this farm this year. Last year we left about 3/4 acre of beans up but that didn't really help until the late season, some of the stuff we planted this year should help draw them in all season long. i came close to killing a pretty good buck out of that small standing bean field in the late season last year. In one night i had about 30 deer go through that small field.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 pm

rudy78 wrote:Thanks guys, so what do you all think of that 8, is he a 4.5, you think I should kill him this year?

I'm also really excited to see what difference having the food plots makes on this farm this year. Last year we left about 3/4 acre of beans up but that didn't really help until the late season, some of the stuff we planted this year should help draw them in all season long. i came close to killing a pretty good buck out of that small standing bean field in the late season last year. In one night i had about 30 deer go through that small field.

That probably is a 4yr old, but if I'm guessing there is way better deer in the area. I think I would pass
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”