Observation from 2010 season.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lynchpin

Observation from 2010 season.

Unread postby lynchpin » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:43 am

Last season in NE Iowa... the corn and soybeans were harvested from the fields much earlier than normal. I believe it may be safe to say the whole mid-west food crop was harvested earlier than normal ... With the early harvest, especially corn, I witnessed a lot more mature bucks on ridges, field edges, and river bottoms than I had in the last 3 years combined on the same stand locations. I would make sense since a lot of buck bed in corn fields... It could be a coincidence or I am becoming a better hunter... but like I said I was hunting the same stand locations give or take 50 to 100 yards. Just wondering if anyone else noticed increased early season buck activity?

To others who have been hunting longer than I have (3 years) in NE Iowa... have you noticed this in the past with other early harvests from years ago? and if so did it influence your strategy?

thanks!

go DEEP or go HOME
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Observation from 2010 season.

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:20 am

I think it is almost is certain after the corn is picked bucks sightings will increase. In NE Iowa you have more hard cover, (deep ditches, hills, and timber) than most other areas of Iowa. So in your case less cover after the corn is picked is not as drastic as some of the very heavy crop zones. When the corn is picked in some of the heavy crop zones it make a big change in the amount of cover. For instance You may lose 25 % of the total deer cover, whereas in Clinton county where I'm from we will lose 80% of the cover. Remember too after grinding it out for three seasons you will be a better hunter from experience alone.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”