Thermal Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jim

Thermal Question

Unread postby Jim » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:27 pm

I hunt in the hill country of Western Wisconsin, there is a field above my property and probably 50 to 75 yards from my property to the top of hte ridge. My question is where would the thermal tunnel be located, in the field above my property or would it be in my woods due to the open field above me. If it is in my woods how does one know how high to be to be above it. I should mention my property is on the leeward side. I have hunted the field edge and seen shooters cruise below me and have not been winded, I hunt out of a 25 foot ladder stand and the trail I have seen them cruising on is about 2o feet in elevation below that, At times you can feel the thermals on your face while hunting and the next minute you feel the wind on your neck from the prevailing winds, just curious on some other input, also is it possible to have two thermal tunnels on the same hillside, first one in the field above me and the second in woods as the woods has a steep shelf before breaking again into the valley

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Thermal Question

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Kind of a complex question with out posting a topo map... My best guess withouit seeing it would be that where you have seen the bucks cruise is where the thermal tunnal is... I generally locate it either by deer trails or by using milkweed to see it.
BigHunt

Re: Thermal Question

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:19 pm

can you post a map??????????????
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”