Deer smelling behavior

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike

Deer smelling behavior

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Was watching the new whitetail inc and had to wonder, why does it seem the bucks have to darn near touch the decoy with their nose to seem to spook from it? I have seen this in a lot of videos now that I think about it, and it doesn't make sense that they can't smell the decoy, but it appears they get a nose full only as they get really close. Any ideas?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Deer smelling behavior

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm

I think they might be smelling where the decoy was touched... With a human they are smelling the skin cells we shed, thats why they smell us down wind. Plastic don't shed skin cells... But our scent sticks to it when we touch it or have it near us.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:35 am

Good question. I've noticed the same. A deers nose is extremely sensitive. Do you think that they are looking for touch confirmation too? It seems that way to me.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:27 am

I have noticed this also. My thoughts are they are startled they are not smelling deer. I have noticed the same reaction on my decoy set ups does and bucks have about the same reaction. It could also be like Dan said they are getting a whiff of human scent.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”