aging and scoring

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

aging and scoring

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:20 am

just hoping someone can give me a basic idea on how to age and score deer through the trail cam pics. i'm more concerned with the aging but would like to learn both. thnx

headgear
500 Club

Re: aging and scoring

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:53 pm

admiral04 wrote:just hoping someone can give me a basic idea on how to age and score deer through the trail cam pics. i'm more concerned with the aging but would like to learn both. thnx

There isn't really an easy way to do this, you just need a lot of experience looking at deer, racks, and scores. If you browse this site and just about any hunting site you should find many threads on aging and scoring deer. Study the deer, see what others are saying and try to learn from that. Most of the time a single photo or even a group can't tell you the whole story so we are just giving our best guess. Don't by shy either, post up some photos and we can all try out best to help you age and score them.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:09 pm

What he said. Looking at deer age will give you a sagging gut, deep chested ,
Face will thicken into a V shape instead of looking long and narrow, older deer like people get a flatter rear end. It just takes a lot of looking at deer to get to see the tell tale signs.
Score wise in the Midwest on spread you can see the inside of the mainbeams. If the outside of the ears are touching the outside of the mainbeams it's usually a 16" spread and if the inside of the mainbeams are touching the outside of the ears it's an 18" spread. Average mass is usually 30" and the rest will be adding tine length and mainbeams. Average mainbeams are probably in the 21"-22" range on a 3-1/2 year old or better.
Looking on hoof to gauge a deer you can start with 90" which would be 18" spread,30" mass and 21" mainbeams add it all up is 90"s and then add tines in. That an easy rough way to judge quick.
Hope this helps.

headgear wrote:
admiral04 wrote:just hoping someone can give me a basic idea on how to age and score deer through the trail cam pics. i'm more concerned with the aging but would like to learn both. thnx

There isn't really an easy way to do this, you just need a lot of experience looking at deer, racks, and scores. If you browse this site and just about any hunting site you should find many threads on aging and scoring deer. Study the deer, see what others are saying and try to learn from that. Most of the time a single photo or even a group can't tell you the whole story so we are just giving our best guess. Don't by shy either, post up some photos and we can all try out best to help you age and score them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:08 pm

admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:45 am

ok thanx for all the info. next wk ill try and post some of the bucks i have on camera this yr. ill guess what they are then see what you, more experienced fellows come with.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 am

If you or your friends or relatives have some mounts or old racks laying around get out the tape measure and start measuring. You don't have to make your measurements perfect but try to get within a couple inches of what the rack would really score. After a while you should get a feel for what a 100", 125", 140", etc. looks like.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:52 pm

small investments- but buy buckscore (jeremy is a great guy) and the QDMA buck aging poster
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:41 pm

this sounds real dumb guys but how do i get my pictures onto a post reply msg without having to have a ling to image shack it won't let me drag them from "my pictures" to the msg box. any tech wiz help?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:42 pm

JRM6868 wrote:What he said. Looking at deer age will give you a sagging gut, deep chested ,
Face will thicken into a V shape instead of looking long and narrow, older deer like people get a flatter rear end. It just takes a lot of looking at deer to get to see the tell tale signs.
Score wise in the Midwest on spread you can see the inside of the mainbeams. If the outside of the ears are touching the outside of the mainbeams it's usually a 16" spread and if the inside of the mainbeams are touching the outside of the ears it's an 18" spread. Average mass is usually 30" and the rest will be adding tine length and mainbeams. Average mainbeams are probably in the 21"-22" range on a 3-1/2 year old or better.
Looking on hoof to gauge a deer you can start with 90" which would be 18" spread,30" mass and 21" mainbeams add it all up is 90"s and then add tines in. That an easy rough way to judge quick.
Hope this helps.

headgear wrote:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Good info. Not much to add .
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”