Have you ever had lyme disease ? ( poll )

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Have you ever had Lymes disease ? ( poll )

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 96
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Have you ever had lymes disease ? ( poll )

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:33 am

Ok....think I may have it.

Pull a pile of ticks off me thru-out the year and only really remember a few dug in. One was on my belly and when pulled left a red circle area maybe the size of a quarter. No bullseye that I could see.....

Now about 2 months later my energy level is super low, need tons of sleep and not really allowing myself to. (too much to do) Just wrote it off as old age/ out of shape.

For the last two-three weeks headaches that last for days with a very sore neck and then is gone for a few days and then returns. Seems like Lyme symptoms....probably should go to the doc? Think so?

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:54 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Ok....think I may have it.

Pull a pile of ticks off me thru-out the year and only really remember a few dug in. One was on my belly and when pulled left a red circle area maybe the size of a quarter. No bullseye that I could see.....

Now about 2 months later my energy level is super low, need tons of sleep and not really allowing myself to. (too much to do) Just wrote it off as old age/ out of shape.

For the last two-three weeks headaches that last for days with a very sore neck and then is gone for a few days and then returns. Seems like Lyme symptoms....probably should go to the doc? Think so?

I sure think I would Hodag... Sounds like a lot of the symptoms that people are talking about...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:53 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Ok....think I may have it.

Don't sxcrew around, get in and get it checked!
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:00 am

sounds like everyone needs to start spraying there clothes with pemethrin ahead of time.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:08 am

wmahunter wrote:sounds like everyone needs to start spraying there clothes with pemethrin ahead of time.

Does that work good ?
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 am

Joe Gizdic, my friend who donates the outfitted deer hunt to our contest every year, got bit last year and has some pretty bad after effects. He can no longer even pull a 30 pound bow back..
That Is crazy what this bug can do. These damn things make me nervous. I had one stuck to me as did my at the time 3 year old daughter. Neither one of us went In but I watched my daughter like a hawk.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:48 am

From what I have been told, I can't be tested for lymes disease. I received the Lymeix (sp?) shot several years back. Thought it was a good idea back then. They took it off the market for obvious reasons, but I can't say I regret having it.

I still check myself every time after the woods. I get bit by 100s of deer ticks every year, but most are off in less than hour. 1000s of wood ticks. The outdoors is my passion; hence why I got the shot.

If the tick has been on for more than 24 hours, you need to get checked. Plain and simple. If you wake up the next day and find it, you are probably fine, but you should keep an eye on it.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:09 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:
wmahunter wrote:sounds like everyone needs to start spraying there clothes with pemethrin ahead of time.

Does that work good ?

It works good, but that stuff is toxic :shock:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:09 pm

Agreed. Permithrin is toxic, but acceptable. It is an active ingredient in some topical tick repellants for dogs. It is toxic to cats. It is your best defense. Light colored clothing and regular in-the-field checks is the best defense.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:15 am

Just got back from the doc.....took 8 viles of blood for testing. Could be Lymes or something else.......will know results by Friday.

Doc said I need to take care of my body better......need a whole "rebuild". I'm shot. :? :lol:
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:41 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Just got back from the doc.....took 8 viles of blood for testing. Could be Lymes or something else.......will know results by Friday.

Doc said I need to take care of my body better......need a whole "rebuild". I'm shot. :? :lol:

Your Dos is right!
Take care. ;)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Just got back from the doc.....took 8 viles of blood for testing. Could be Lymes or something else.......will know results by Friday.

Glad to hear you had it checked out. Hope everything turns out O.K. for you. Lymes disease is nothing to mess with!
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:12 am

This was in a news article recently:

Just when my paranoia over Lyme disease couldn’t get any worse, a new report today concludes that another tick-borne virus is causing alarm.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (who should really just stick to making me laugh with zombie-related posts), the disease Babesiosis is starting to become more common in the Lower Hudson Valley and coastal areas of the Northeast. It’s spread through those tiny bastard deer ticks and thrives in red blood cells, brining on symptoms akin to malaria. In some cases, particularly with those that have already compromised immune systems, it can be fatal.

In addition, due to ineffective screening, the disease is also showing up in the blood supply. From the NY Times:

more information at this site http://www.tickencounter.org/
mnbowfisherman33

Unread postby mnbowfisherman33 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:39 am

I've never had Lymes Disease but have had Anaplasmosis, which is another Tick born disease. I went to the hospital after a week of being sick to get a blood test. They got the results but failed to tell us :x , so i spent another week sick until my fever crept over 104 and I could barely walk. Then a trip to the ER and some Antibiotics had me feeling better. Not a fun experience.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:43 am

Looking at this poll right now, and thinking about all the people that I know that have gotten lymes disease. Poll says 12% (currently) Doctor that refused to help me said I was paranoid and it was just a bruise said that odds are greater at winning the lottery... Wish I had 12% odds of winning the lottery.

The truth is, we are at much greater risk because of the time we spend in the woods.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”