Are penalty's big enough for poachers ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Are penalty's big enough for poachers ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:41 am

I'm sure a lot of you guys hate poachers just as much as me.... but I was wondering, do poachers really learn anything from getting caught ? Is the fine big enough ?

I honestly don't even know what the fine is here in Wisconsin, and maybe every situation is different, but I was trying to remember what the fine is.... last time I ever heard of someone that got caught, I thought the fine was a few thousand bucks and they lost their hunting rights for say, maybe 3 or 4 years.... Not sure how accurate that penalty is though, someone I'm sure knows more on the subject than me.......

But why not make it hurt ? Say, $50,000 and NEVER getting to hunt again....... maybe they would think twice about shooting a big buck at 3:00 in the morning.... Or maybe it wouldn't matter one bit, because those type of people don't change........

Thoughts ?

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Are penalty's big enough for poachers ?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:47 am

I don't think they are high enough. But also, it seems the judges never impose the maximun sentence, seems they always get of with a small fine and a slap on the wrist. Maybe if they got stiffer penalties the first time it would be more of a deterent.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:50 am

In my opinion - No they are not stiff enough, but then again, I think there are alot of crimes that could use stiffer penalties..

And the taking away their hunting privileges thing..i dont think that really does much - Its not like they are hunting legally to begin with anyways...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:22 am

It's hard to say what should be done with these guys. I think some hard labor restitution, planting trees on state ground, cleaning out houses in state parks, walk the roads picking up road kills. Stuff like that would be better than taking away their hunting privileges.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:30 am

Stanley wrote:It's hard to say what should be done with these guys. I think some hard labor restitution, planting trees on state ground, cleaning out houses in state parks, walk the roads picking up road kills. Stuff like that would be better than taking away their hunting privileges.

Agreed! Put them to work and make it better for everyone!
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 am

Stanley wrote:It's hard to say what should be done with these guys. I think some hard labor restitution, planting trees on state ground, cleaning out houses in state parks, walk the roads picking up road kills. Stuff like that would be better than taking away their hunting privileges.

Not a bad idea there Stan. Here in Indiana it is $500-$5,000 up to 5 years in prison and the confiscation of anything used in the unlawful pursuit be it your vehicle, gun whatever. The problem is like others have said I have never heard of anyone getting the maximum sentence. Like most laws with penalty in this Country they seem to be null and largely unrespected because they are rarely or timidly enforced.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”