Average Joe poll

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Would you use your tag?

Yes.
53%
No.
41%
Probaby the last week of the season.
6%

Total votes: 49
Edcyclopedia

Average Joe poll

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:05 am

There are a couple of DOZEN Bonified Mature Big Buck Hunters on this site and I am purely envious...

You mature buck hunters can answer the poll if you would like too, [glow=red]however this poll is mainly for the average Joe (or Ed) that has yet to seal the deal on the Big Boy.[/glow]

~ I myself have gotten a few dozen deer consisitng of a few nice bucks around 100". The last two seasons I have passed alot of deer (for me) waiting/hoping I could connect with no avail.
Or I have chosen not to shoot with a poor shot opportunitity - I feel it is just a matter of tme and gave myself the "5-year plan".

[glow=red]My answer is -[/glow] I would take the 8-pointer without a doubt if provided a quality shot.Image

Chime in with some diolog if you so choose!
Lastly - Guess his score...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Average Joe poll

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:50 am

Depends on where you are located. In the Midwest if you take out the 8 you eliminate any chance he will get bigger. Not all 8 pointer are always 8 pointers. I had an 8 pointer that was an 8 pointer for 5.5 years. The next year (6.5) he had 10 points and 3 stickers. You just never know unless you kill them. Then you do know.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:03 am

I agree with Stanley In that if you want a bigger one you can't kill one of those guys. However if you are happy to harvest one of those and can do it with a grateful heart then it is a trophy Lay the smack down my friend. Good Luck!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:30 am

have you harvested any bucks yet with the bow? if not that would be a great buck to shoot
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:02 am

I dont see bucks that big, and have never shot one that big. I voted yes. :D
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:13 am

I am an average joe hunter, and yes, I would arrow that buck. I have only ever arrowed one 3.5 year old buck as all the rest have been 2.5 year olds. KILL!
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:28 am

I have shot many like that you have to start some where, very few people just starting killing big bucks from day one. Its a progreesion they will get bigger each year or you will start going to places where they are. I build every year, taken ten years to get where I want to be and have the time and patience to travel and hunt.

Don confuse the bucks you hunt with everyones elses, in some places thats as good as it gets.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:52 am

At this point in my hunting development, absolutely! I've yet to put the drop on one that big. I'm with you Ed. MA, NH are tough. Most guys around here would be proud to take that buck and most would have it mounted.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:57 am

If I were in your shoes I'd shoot him. It wasn't that long ago that the largest buck I'd shot was a busted up 6 pointer and my only goal was to shoot one bigger.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:18 am

keb wrote:I have shot many like that you have to start some where, very few people just starting killing big bucks from day one. Its a progreesion they will get bigger each year or you will start going to places where they are. I build every year, taken ten years to get where I want to be and have the time and patience to travel and hunt.

Don confuse the bucks you hunt with everyones elses, in some places thats as good as it gets.

Great post.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:23 am

Stanley wrote:Depends on where you are located. In the Midwest if you take out the 8 you eliminate any chance he will get bigger. Not all 8 pointer are always 8 pointers. I had an 8 pointer that was an 8 pointer for 5.5 years. The next year (6.5) he had 10 points and 3 stickers. You just never know unless you kill them. Then you do know.

While that statement is true, then again many 8 pointers will always be nothing more than an 8 pointer.

Even in the midwest there are still a lot of bowhunters that will never shoot one (Ed's deer in the photo) that "big" for a variety of reasons.

If you've never shot one that "big" and you pass on this one, you still have never shot anything "big" according to your standards. Shoot whatever makes you happy.

For me that buck is what I would consider a decent buck and I would probably shoot him.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:39 am

Unless its going on the wall for you id pass on that buck.Id rather wack a doe for meat than a smaller buck.That buck is well past the ears but will look thin when it sheds.If its a trophy for you thats all that matters.You said you have let some like that go for 5 years now.Are they reaching a certain size and getting shot by others or leaveing the property?Or have you saw them as bigger 135-145 class deer but just havent got them close enough?Ill guess 120 on the high end on that wide 8pt.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:59 am

I voted no....for me. I've killed some bigger than that.
I try to kill bigger than I have in the past and I have. But to do that I've gone some years without filling my tag. For me it doesn't fill the bill.

But for you, shoot what makes you happy. Not all of us have the kind of bucks available that we dream of. I do believe there are more big bucks out there, in all areas, than what most people think there is. If you take the lesser buck than what you reasonably want, or believe you have a chance at, you'll never get there.

But hey, that's a good buck. If you haven't taken one that big, hammer him. Go for bigger next year. Have fun along the way.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:21 am

I'd shoot him for sure. The ONLY question you should be answering is, Would it make YOU happy if you shot him. That's your answer right their. Who gives a what everyone else does. People get way to caught up in thinking about what others think, and the fact of the matter is people hunt in different spots with way different size deer. If you truly love hunting you will work your way up at the pace you feel comfortable and enjoy it the whole way.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:38 am

kenn1320 wrote:I dont see bucks that big, and have never shot one that big. I voted yes. :D

X2 he'd get the carbon shaft absolutely.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”