Need help with getting on some bucks.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BuckHunter1988

Need help with getting on some bucks.

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:08 pm

I Cannot figure out what im doin wrong this year. Havnt been able to get a picture of one single shooter yet on camera but I have seen a couple spotting and glassing in the evenings. I leave the camera in places that i dont hunt so I dont have to worry about leavin my scent but Where I put my camera I see bucks come out all the time and hangout in the area. I just cant get them to step in front of a cam. I got 471 photos in three weeks time all small bucks and does.

Does anyone have an idea of what I should do to change this.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Need help with getting on some bucks.

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:55 am

If legal, you could try throwing an ice cream pail of corn in front of the camera. That could entice the buck in for a pic or 2.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:46 am

I think 471 pictures is a good amount. Don't know how often you check the cameras but I would suspect you are checking too often. I check my cameras every 6-8 weeks. I also notice for the first 7-10 days after setting them out mature bucks are very sparse. Does and scrub bucks will show up 30 minutes later but mature bucks shy away from all the ground scent associated with setting up or checking the cameras. You must treat cameras just like hunting. When the bucks shed you could try some doe in heat, some of the long lasting stuff as a curiosity attractant.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:24 am

BuckHunter1988 wrote:I Cannot figure out what im doin wrong this year. Havnt been able to get a picture of one single shooter yet on camera but I have seen a couple spotting and glassing in the evenings. I leave the camera in places that i dont hunt so I dont have to worry about leavin my scent but Where I put my camera I see bucks come out all the time and hangout in the area. I just cant get them to step in front of a cam. I got 471 photos in three weeks time all small bucks and does.

Does anyone have an idea of what I should do to change this.

Are you actually glassing them coming in the field or are they already there?
If you can see them entering that's where the camera needs to be. If they are already there mature bucks like to enter near an inside corner so they can stage before they enter. The inside corner allows then to scan the field for danger with out having to turn their head because they can see the whole field in front of them instead of coming in from the side where there could be trees or such in the way.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:00 pm

If you can see them entering that's where the camera needs to be.

If you are able to glass them, why would you set up a camera and risk spooking them with your scent? Is it because you are assuming all the bucks will come out at the same spot and you might get a buck on there that you haven't seen glassing? Just curious.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:24 pm

If I can see where the bucks are coming into a field I'll put a camera there because the bucks usually enter the field different than does. I'm more interested in not only what's in the field in light but what's entering shortly after dark. The deer won't stop coming to food. Most bucks I get on cam aren't bothered by the cam anyway.

NatureBoy wrote:
If you can see them entering that's where the camera needs to be.

If you are able to glass them, why would you set up a camera and risk spooking them with your scent? Is it because you are assuming all the bucks will come out at the same spot and you might get a buck on there that you haven't seen glassing? Just curious.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Ok i put out close to 40 lbs of corn everyime i check a camera and the cameras i have usually have to check every 2 ta 4 weeks depending on how many pictures there taking.

I have glassed the bucks coming out of one corner of the field in two spots and I have set the camera up on both trails they come out but For some reason they dont get pics of the bucks. This is the first year in about 7 years of usin trail cams I just cant get it done.

Also I know theres more then two big ones runnin the property and Id like to see what the other ones look like. Ive seen good ones spotting in their bachelor groups just couldnt judge how big they really are.Id like to know so I can go for the oldest most mature buck. For example I dont wanna shoot a 130 8 point 4 year old if theirs a 5 year old 160. Id rather shoot a true old monster then shoot an ok buck. If there isnt a wopper on that farm im gonna have to do some more scouting on some other propertys but the thing is I really dont want to cause even tho its private land theirs a couple other guys who do have permission.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:54 pm

If your seeing them out while you are glassing...i would follow the field edge and see where the big tracks are coming out to the field and set the camera there, as long as you aren't gonna hunt there
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Ill try to get an aerial up of the property also
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:57 pm

BuckHunter1988 wrote:Ok i put out close to 40 lbs of corn everyime i check a camera and the cameras i have usually have to check every 2 ta 4 weeks depending on how many pictures there taking.

I have glassed the bucks coming out of one corner of the field in two spots and I have set the camera up on both trails they come out but For some reason they dont get pics of the bucks. This is the first year in about 7 years of usin trail cams I just cant get it done.

Also I know theres more then two big ones runnin the property and Id like to see what the other ones look like. Ive seen good ones spotting in their bachelor groups just couldnt judge how big they really are.Id like to know so I can go for the oldest most mature buck. For example I dont wanna shoot a 130 8 point 4 year old if theirs a 5 year old 160. Id rather shoot a true old monster then shoot an ok buck. If there isnt a wopper on that farm im gonna have to do some more scouting on some other propertys but the thing is I really dont want to cause even tho its private land theirs a couple other guys who do have permission.

Also maybe they have smelt your scent and are leary of the area, or perhaps the baitpile...big bucks in my area hate baitpiles, even after dark
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:09 pm

heres a pic of the property and a detailed eplanation of the deer travel bedding property line and so On.
Red= travel
yellow= property line
blue=corn in the south field
blue=soy bean in the north field
Grey dots= places I have put my trail cam
green= bedding

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:44 pm

A topo would be helpful.

Also, if the land owner happens to mention that he seen the biggest buck recently ask what day he seen him so you can look up the wind direction for that day. The buck may only use the area on a certain wind direction.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”