What's all the fuss over Iowa?????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: What's all the fuss over Iowa?????

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:43 am

Spysar wrote:Will you guys ever admit that Iowa is a great deer state, and your lucky to live there??? :mrgreen:

Nope, ne'er, never, uh uh, no, nah, nay. :P All kidding aside anyone living in the Midwest is fortunate to have the hunting we do. Iowa is a great place to hunt, and produces some great deer every year. There are many states with statistics equally as impressive, and we can throw Canada in there as well.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:55 am

Guys Iowa might be the latest "trendy place to go", but Wisconsin still has more bucks entered in P&Y hands down!

http://www.i-maps.com/Qdma/frame/default1024_ie.asp?C=48449&LinkID=0&NID=0&cmd=map&TL=100000&GL=0100000010000&=11000
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:15 pm

The best thing about Iowa is that their deer management puts every other state to shame. If EVERY state would mimic their practices...then buck hunting would improve in every state. No gun hunting during Novemeber is HUGE!
I live in Illinois, and have hunted a few good areas here....but I have never seen 50 P&Y bucks in an entire season. In fact...probably not in 7 or 8 seasons put together. Is Iowa worth the money? It must be to many people...cause the tags get sold. I've got 3 pref. points, so I look forward to hunting there next season.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:19 pm

By the way...the Celebrities moved there because it offered the best whitetail hunting. Not the other way around. Sure it gets more hype now that they are there, but they went there for a reason.
Gene and Barry have told me a number of other reasons why they moved from Montana to Iowa, and not all of them were hunting related. But MOST of them were. Still, they said more bucks probably make it to maturity in Montana just due to much less pressure, but they don't get as big. This was a big one for them. Honestly though...I don't know what would be better. Seeing hundreds of deer per season, and tons of mature (but average size) bucks in Montana...or seeing less deer but a few really big ones each season in Iowa. To each his own I guess!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:33 pm

jonsimoneau wrote:The best thing about Iowa is that their deer management puts every other state to shame. If EVERY state would mimic their practices...then buck hunting would improve in every state. No gun hunting during Novemeber is HUGE!
I live in Illinois, and have hunted a few good areas here....but I have never seen 50 P&Y bucks in an entire season. In fact...probably not in 7 or 8 seasons put together. Is Iowa worth the money? It must be to many people...cause the tags get sold. I've got 3 pref. points, so I look forward to hunting there next season.

What zone you going to hunt? Send a PM if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Spysar wrote:
jclaws wrote:
Spysar wrote:
It's not overrated. It lives up to it's reputation. The big deer came before the celebs came. They were just able to recognize it first.

I don't see many Iowa guys traveling all around from state to state deer hunting. They stay at home...

I would go to other states deer hunting in a heartbeat if i had the time.

Why don't you go to other states using the time you would normally be hunting Iowa?

I'm guessing it would be because you won't find anything better than what you have now.

I'm guessing it's because he has a big enough taxidermy bill already! Mega Giant Buck Serial Killer in the house, welcome Joe!

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Spysar wrote:Will you guys ever admit that Iowa is a great deer state, and your lucky to live there??? :mrgreen:

If it weren't for the fact that I wasn't LUCKY ENOUGH to live in a GREAT DEER STATE like IOWA I'd never shoot a deer probably.

Happy? :lol:

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:19 pm

muddy wrote:

If it weren't for the fact that I wasn't LUCKY ENOUGH to live in a GREAT DEER STATE like IOWA I'd never shoot a deer probably.

Finally! :lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:20 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:
muddy wrote:

Finally! :lol:

I've said it every year I've shot something since 2001, I'd rather be lucky than good any day, I'm LUCKY to live in IOWA!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:29 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Guys Iowa might be the latest "trendy place to go", but Wisconsin still has more bucks entered in P&Y hands down!

http://www.i-maps.com/Qdma/frame/default1024_ie.asp?C=48449&LinkID=0&NID=0&cmd=map&TL=100000&GL=0100000010000&=11000

Agreed. Stats don't lie.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:33 pm

I can only imagine what would happen if Illinois would move their firearm season back into December like Iowa's.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:51 pm

muddy wrote:I can only imagine what would happen if Illinois would move their firearm season back into December like Iowa's.

Illinois is equally as good as Iowa to start.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:21 pm

[*Guys Iowa might be the latest "trendy place to go", but Wisconsin still has more bucks entered in P&Y hands down}

i disagree with the logic of most p&y entered as a where to go stats. how many p&y bucks killed per tag sold. look at those stats. or even how many per buck harvested in wisconsin a lot of 3 1/2 year old make up those p & y stats too. like 125 and up. if im traveling i want to know how many 150 and up or want to see a better age structure. don't get me wrong wisconsin isn't too bad but too many younger bucks get killed before max potential. we've had to many seasons of slaughter.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:56 pm

kurt wrote:[*Guys Iowa might be the latest "trendy place to go", but Wisconsin still has more bucks entered in P&Y hands down}

i disagree with the logic of most p&y entered as a where to go stats. how many p&y bucks killed per tag sold. look at those stats. or even how many per buck harvested in wisconsin a lot of 3 1/2 year old make up those p & y stats too. like 125 and up. if im traveling i want to know how many 150 and up or want to see a better age structure. don't get me wrong wisconsin isn't too bad but too many younger bucks get killed before max potential. we've had to many seasons of slaughter.

More numbers equal more opportunities no matter how you juggle the figures.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:40 pm

kurt wrote:...how many p&y bucks killed per tag sold. look at those stats. or even how many per buck harvested...

This is true. Another good thing to look at is how many wooded acres a state has for per entry.

However, I would love to have as many 3.5 year olds in Michigan as Wisconsin has. One of these day's I am going to hunt there and see what it's like for myself.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”