What's all the fuss over Iowa?????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: What's all the fuss over Iowa?????

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:07 am

kershawbuck wrote:Well I will be going to Iowa this year for a muzzle loader hunt in December ! Got my $600.00 tag in the mail this week and I cant wait !Living in SC ,this is a chance of a life time to at least see what real bucks look like ! If you kill a 130 class in SC you have done something ! So knowing that there is a chance for me to see a 150 or above deer is awesome !!!!
Thats why you go to Iowa !

:D

What zone?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:45 am

Arrowbender wrote:The great thing about Iowa is that they don't kill all of the yearling bucks every year. They hold their F/A's hunt well after the rut and thus keep a very balanced herd. That's all. Way more mature bucks. That's the allure.
That being said, I haven't hunted there since they upped the anty. It's too hard to keep all of my landowner ties to only hunt there once every three years.
IMO

YES!!! 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:47 pm

I have a bow tag for Iowa this year. When the license went to over $500 I thought I would never be willing to pay that. But when I found a landowner who would let me hunt I changed my mind. When you think about it the license cost is probably around $300 more than other non resident tags in other states. For a good hunt every 3 or 4 years its worth it.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:57 pm

What's the public land like in Iowa during archery season? Crowded and packed with tards like MN?
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:25 am

The Wensels told me that the reason they moved to Iowa was that they were getting older and were tired of the winter kill and having to wait for a buck to grow up again.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jclaws
Facebook: Joe n Tracy clawson

Unread postby jclaws » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:49 am

I am going to agree with muddy that its definately an over rated state.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:09 am

jclaws wrote:I am going to agree with muddy that its definately an over rated state.

It's not overrated. It lives up to it's reputation. The big deer came before the celebs came. They were just able to recognize it first.

I don't see many Iowa guys traveling all around from state to state deer hunting. They stay at home...
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:24 am

jclaws wrote:I am going to agree with muddy that its definately an over rated state.

Some of the NR hunters on this forum that hunt public ground in Iowa have stated it's a piece of cake? We have conflicting opinions here. :? Good to see you on here Joe.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:37 am

jack_4mn wrote:What's the public land like in Iowa during archery season? Crowded and packed with tards like MN?

There's good public there just like in WI ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
jclaws
Facebook: Joe n Tracy clawson

Unread postby jclaws » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:51 am

Spysar wrote:

It's not overrated. It lives up to it's reputation. The big deer came before the celebs came. They were just able to recognize it first.

I don't see many Iowa guys traveling all around from state to state deer hunting. They stay at home...

I would go to other states deer hunting in a heartbeat if i had the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:51 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
jack_4mn wrote:What's the public land like in Iowa during archery season? Crowded and packed with tards like MN?

There's good public there just like in WI ;)

True that. :lol:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:53 am

jclaws wrote:
Spysar wrote:

[glow=red]I would go to other states deer hunting in a heartbeat if i had the time[/glow].

I agree, and have hunted many other states.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:53 am

jclaws wrote:
Spysar wrote:

I would go to other states deer hunting in a heartbeat if i had the time.

Why don't you go to other states using the time you would normally be hunting Iowa?

I'm guessing it would be because you won't find anything better than what you have now.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:30 am

Why don't you go to other states using the time you would normally be hunting Iowa?

I can't because of economical reasons. Home court is always easier to win on also.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:09 am

Will you guys ever admit that Iowa is a great deer state, and your lucky to live there??? :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”