Klemz........... buck bed Pics ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

Re: Klemz........... buck bed Pics ?

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:50 am

There are only so many beds in a given area, and the best ones go to the toughest bucks. The more places a buck beds, the higher his chances of being found. At least that is my thinking on it.

We're just sharing ideas....which is great. But, I feel exactly the opposite. I don't think there's a buck out there who's never been bumped from a bed. And, after watching the yotes take down that buck (sick or not....it happens), I'm thinking they HAVE to leave more and more scent.....the more they bed in a particular spot. I don't think (again....just sharing an idea) they care to do that any more than is absolutely necessary.

If a yote (or bear; wolf....or any other predator) came into an area a buck is known (by scent) to be using for a bedding area, what's the best chance for that predator to kill him there....on that day? It would be when he was in a particular SPOT. I can't get my mind around a wind being so prevailing as to have a buck's best chance for survival.....EVERY DAY....be to lay in the exact same 2'x4' area. This thought doesn't even come to mind when I think of bucks bedding. To me, bedding area can mean ACRES (and does!). When you think about gentle subleties in wind direction; thermals; relative humidity; barometric pressure; etc.....I think they get to an "area" and decide the spot (on the fly) that best gives offers them protection. I also think they'll move in a heartbeat - if conditions change.....even if it's a few feet or yards.

They do this all night (move from bed to bed). I think they possibly do this all day.....but on a more limited basis...and "as needed".

I'd love to learn something from these cameras you guys are talking about setting. I find it (as I do with most anything to do with whitetails) fascinating.

No...I haven't seen the marsh bucks DVD. I honestly wouldn't know where to find a marsh, around here. I hunt the piedmont area (foothills) of NC.

Lateral Bowhunter
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:01 am

Too bad brother, I was really looking forward to seeing your buck day in and out, when he gets up, how long he will hold in one spot and sleep hard.

Good learning experience for sure. If it would have turned something up then it would have been twice as helpful. But in a way i guess you have the chance to learn something from it still. Maybe when you go back this spring you will find that the bed does have hair in it again and know that it is a seasonal bed. I thought for sure it would have a pic or two when the pressure got turned up for gun season. So it isn't a pressure bed either. Maybe this will help you to pattern the deer even better on your land. Here you thought they were bedding here in fall.... Now you can focus somewhere else come fall time if you find hair in this bed again again come thaw. Just a thought.

That's amazing that the battery life lasts that stinking long. I never would have guessed that.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 am

Typical camera experience :x It seems the more excited you are in a particular camera set, the higher the odds of it getting screwed up just like this.... I love and hate cameras at the same time. That being said, I have a bed in mind for next year.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 am

JV NC wrote:No...I haven't seen the marsh bucks DVD. I honestly wouldn't know where to find a marsh, around here. I hunt the piedmont area (foothills) of NC.

Sounds like the Hill Country DVD is what you need then, trust me you will love it. I generally just hunt marshes and swamps but bought the Hill Country video as a learning tool, very glad I did. If you aren't familiar with Dan's videos that are very different from your standard hunting videos, very tactical and educational with a some hunts sprinkled in.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:08 am

I have heard of them. I just haven't seen them.

Noted. Thanks.
Lateral Bowhunter
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:41 am

Hey everyone, thanks for all the great comments and ideas.

dreaming bucks wrote:Sorry it didn't work klemz, I wonder why you didn't get any deer bedded there bewfore the cam got moved ? Were you pretty confident in that bed, as far as thinking deer would be using it ?

There are other beds I know of that appear to be used more based on my spring scouting. i chose this one mainly because it is nasty to get to and I was confident no humans would bother it. With the big tracks and the moderate hair in the bed I was confident enough that it would get some use. This bed is located on public land in the CWD zone in Wisconsin, I suspect this isn't the ideal testing grounds to get lots of bedded buck pictures. Another thought I have is this is an extremely thick brushy swamp and possibly a buck wouldn't use the bed I chose during his antler growing period? The camera got moved off target just before velvet shedding.

kenn1320 wrote:Why not find a promising bed in the spring, get a cam up on it and then hunt it in the fall? Would give you some great intel on how often that bed got used throughout the year and by how many different bucks. Would also let you know if the days you hunted it, was he even in the bed. Pull the camera at end of the season.

I like this idea. As long as the camera is mounted in a way that the buck won't sense it, what have you got to lose? You're already kneeling in his bed! It seems like you could speed up the learning curve on which beds are gonna be the producers in the long run.

Black Squirrel wrote:Too bad the camera got moved, but thanks for sharing. Maybe a few of us beast could try something like that next year and get a couple of differnt sample areas to share.

This would be awesome! Different set ups in different areas of the country could be revealing.

Brandon wrote:I would say if you put a cam in that bed... and a buck sees it/smells it he would be gone which is what I suspect happened with Klemz.

It certainly is possible! However, I am gonna keep trying to get some buck bed/camera set ups each spring just in case I can learn something from it. Plus, it's fun.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:51 am

Bummer. Maybe the bed was used once while the deer was shedding its hair and thus the hair in the bed?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 am

JV NC wrote:I honestly think I could put out a cam on a 1/4ac. and possibly not catch a buck bedding in there with any regularity.

You guys have vastly different experiences with bucks if they're seemingly bedding in the exact same bed....day after day after day.

I dissagree... I have been studying and hunting buck bedding areas for over 30 years in many types of terrain and areas. I have found bucks often bed in the same exact spot day after day... Most of the bucks on my wall were shot while I was targeting there exact bed. Sure, they don't always bed in these spots, but there is enough of a trend to pattern and kill a specific buck by hunting his bed. My big buck I arrowed this year, I targeted his exact bed even though I had never seen him in it, I had seen him in the area and knew that most big bucks that are hanging in that area use that bed. Hunted there once and shot the buck after he rose up out of the exact bed I expected him to come out of... I too would suggest you buy my hill country dvd ;) I have yet to hear one person say they did not like it. It goes into muxch greater detail than I could possibly write here. Its available in the store right here at the BEAST.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:02 am

I would say if you put a cam in that bed... and a buck sees it/smells it he would be gone which is what I suspect happened with Klemz.

Dan what do you think?

Yes and no... Every time we get human scent near a bed it does some damage to the deers ability to trust that bedding area. But even if we kick a buck out of a certain bed, if he was not harmed, or did not have a close call, he will likely come back if its one of his primary beds. Also, every good buck bad will be used by more than one big buck and at differing times of the year.

The main trouble with the camera is to get good pic's it should go over a great buck bedding spot and thats something that would bother me as a hunter interfering with that bed and risking it going cold...
I was thinking about doing it in a park, or somewhere closed to hunting.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:29 am

No problems with disagreeing, Dan. Like I said, I may learn something.

I just haven't experienced them being so predictable, here. Predictable to a few acres? Sure.

I'll get the DVD and check it out over the off-season. Sounds like a great self Christmas gift.
Lateral Bowhunter
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 am

JV NC wrote:No problems with disagreeing, Dan. Like I said, I may learn something.

I just haven't experienced them being so predictable, here. Predictable to a few acres? Sure.

I'll get the DVD and check it out over the off-season. Sounds like a great self Christmas gift.

There are certain terrains and areas where bedding is harder to pin down... Maybe your in one of those. But if you have hills, I am betting there are some very specific spots there bedding based on specific winds too...
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 am

kenn1320 wrote:
This was a good expirement... but wouldnt you guys rather hunt the bed? and try to kill the buck?

I could think of a few places I could put a camera... but Id rather hunt em.

Why not find a promising bed in the spring, get a cam up on it and then hunt it in the fall? Would give
you some great intel on how often that bed got used throughout the year and by how many different bucks. Would also let you know if the days you hunted it, was he even in the bed. Pull the camera at end of the season.

I like that idea!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 am

We have rolling hills. I took my best 2 scoring buck not 200yds from one another (3yrs apart) on a ridge. What I have access to is varied terrain. Honestly, the land I hunt doesn't have the nastiest stuff on it (as a rule). But, it does abut cutovers and land where hunting isn't permitted (I'm still able to walk it...and I do, during the off-season). They also aren't unduly pressured. I hunted my largest tract (150ac's) exactly 2X this year (taking the 5yo on the second hunt). It abuts a 60ac. cutover where the deer are somewhat highly pressured on the other side. I have access to this cutover. But, I don't intrude on it, ever. They have no reason to go to the "other side", outside the breeding season. I also have this to myself (as a bowhunter), until firearms season opens (which was 11/5, this year. I killed my buck on 11/8.

I hunt the breakline (hardwoods/10yr cutover) when I get a good wind. I got the perfect wind those 2X.

I know bucks bed in a little patch I have access to (it's 20ac's that abuts 100 or more that's lightly hunted by one other). I've bumped bucks (intentionally) from there. I've bumped them in different spots within the 3 or so ac's of nasty stuff, immediately after the season....but never from the exact same spot. Could he have gotten up and moved? Sure.

I'm pretty much reserved to the fact I'm an opportunist....based on my grounds. It does me no good to risk him vacating, if there's a good chance I'll get an opportunity on him at some point, anyways. Different approach (based on several factors).

Looking forward to the DVD, though. I'll check it out.
Lateral Bowhunter
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:37 pm

I bought this DVD a few years ago. My god the Info on It's phenomenal! I've watched It I know at least 5 times and every time I watch It I see something I missed. To me there's too much Info so you've gotta watch It a few times. I've learned allot from Dan on that video. What really surprised me on all of Dan's hunting DVD's Is that allot of It Is good old common sense. It's stuff that's staring you right In the eye out In the woods but one just doesn't realize It. I always say to myself when I pick up on something on the DVD "I should've known that or I do know that, why didn't I think of that". :doh:
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:33 pm

I bought this DVD a few years ago. My god the Info on It's phenomenal! I've watched It I know at least 5 times and every time I watch It I see something I missed. To me there's too much Info so you've gotta watch It a few times. I've learned allot from Dan on that video. What really surprised me on all of Dan's hunting DVD's Is that allot of It Is good old common sense. It's stuff that's staring you right In the eye out In the woods but one just doesn't realize It. I always say to myself when I pick up on something on the DVD "I should've known that or I do know that, why didn't I think of that". :doh:

X2 Ill take it one step further, I have both "Hill country" & "Marsh bucks" and I dont hunt either type of terrain. I hunt flat small woodlot farm country. I have however learned more about the deer I'm hunting. When deer bed, they are doing the same types of things in every environment (trying to save their butts), you just have to apply Dans techniques to your area.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”