Anybody ever arrowed a mature buck from a blind ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Anybody ever arrowed a mature buck from a blind ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:21 am

Just wondering what you guys think about trying to hunt a mature buck out of a pop up ground blind ? I left mine up all of last winter and it has been out there all summer so far.... It's towards the outskirts of the woods, but below and area where I know a buck was bedding last year.... It turns out the buck was just a little smaller than what I was hoping for, so I let him walk.... My question is, as they get older and wiser, do you think he might avoid my blind this year by walking clear of it ? Or do you think since it's been up all year since last Nov, the deer are all use to it being there now, and I could have a real crack at him this year around ? I believe he's still alive, and I'm thinking on the right night I might get a crack at him if he still comes down out of the woods the same way as last year to feed in the cornfield.... I think my ground blind might be in pretty sad shape, but I have another one at home just like it, so I'm thinking of switching them out this weekend..... Thoughts ???

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Anybody ever arrowed a mature buck from a blind ?

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:52 am

Should work if its been there that long... But the switching part might spook em....
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:01 am

dan wrote:Should work if its been there that long... But the switching part might spook em....

Ya, I'm a little worried about that too...... I will see how bad the old one looks....

I would go mobile on him, but there is probably only 60 to 70 yards from the bottom of the woods, to the top part where he beds... I think I might be able to sneak into that blind easier than putting sticks and my alpha up a tree.....
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 am

I hope to this season! I got a blind ambition hay bale blind that im stooked about trying to kill one out of! I killed my first buck out of a blind last year in Indiana, 141" NT out of a Double Bull

Hay Bale Blind
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:17 am

Nice work Rutin ! Did you use decoy's or anything like that ?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:30 am

RUTIN wrote:I hope to this season! I got a blind ambition hay bale blind that im stooked about trying to kill one out of! I killed my first buck out of a blind last year in Indiana, 141" NT out of a Double Bull

Hay Bale Blind

Great looking blind for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 am

I have had much better success with natural blinds rather than pop ups. Mature bucks just don't like pop ups. If you can construct a ground blind with a drawing spot or nice big tree for the buck to pass behind. That is what I would do.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:47 am

No deeks or bait or anything.... It was negative 7 out for about 4 days and this buck was coming out into a corn field every night to eat. The first day me and the cameraman didnt communicate and he walked by at 30 yards and I didnt get the shot. Two days later he finally came out and gave me a 60 yard shot. I took my bow and gun but it was WAY to cold to feel my fingers after spending all day out there. I shot him with a muzzleloader, and I can honestly say it was fun. I hadnt used a gun to deer hunt in over 6 years, so it was kinda cool. He was def skiddish of the double bull bc its not natrual.

The nice thing about the bale blind is that it look natrual and they dont even care about it. Heck ive had them come up and try to eat it!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:51 am

DB T2 is probably the best same day hunt blind made.
No right angles like most other blinds, it blends in very well.

Its a little tight if you are a long draw shooter.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:29 am

Zap wrote:DB T2 is probably the best same day hunt blind made.
No right angles like most other blinds, it blends in very well.

Its a little tight if you are a long draw shooter.

Agreed great blind.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:42 pm

Posted this before. I set up this blind for a buck I knew about, and my buddy killed it.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:55 pm

I never arrowed one, but I missed a haunting one several years back. :(
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:05 pm

I would leave the blind where it is at until the day you want to hunt it. Take it down and put up your other one that day then hunt it before the buck can catch on.

I killed a 3.5 year old buck on public last year out of a double bull T2 at 13 yards. I really like the double bull but you have to brush it in a bit. Also, I don't think the deer like the black hole from the windows. I have netting on all mine except the two in back. I think if used right they are deadly.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Grud, what type of cover did you place the blind? I always struggle with open environments even with brushing. I usually only have success if I can bury it in a corn field, marsh grass, or a pile balsams or other conifers. I've never had luck "brushing up" in the open.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:54 pm

One other question...... Do you guys shoot through mesh windows ? I practiced it a few times last year with a fixed broadhead, and it seemed to fly good and accurate, but I have yet to shoot at a deer through the screen.... Anyone had any bad expierences shooting through mesh ?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”