Jackson County WI

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

slipp

Jackson County WI

Unread postby slipp » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:22 am

I just aquired some hunting land in Jackson County WI. Anybody out there ever hunted in this area before. I think it may be one of those sleeper counties with some quality deer. Farm is located just outside Taylor. The maps look great, but have no idea of what hunting is like in this part of the state. Anybody??

GIVEM THE BLADE....
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Jackson County WI

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:49 am

I have hunted around Black river falls and Hatfield on Public land... It used to suck pretty bad in that area, but a lot of the guys on private are starting to manage.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:18 am

dan wrote:I have hunted around Black river falls and Hatfield on Public land... It used to suck pretty bad in that area, but a lot of the guys on private are starting to manage.

I think that area has come a long ways!! I think deer numbers are strong in that area....
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:46 am

A relative has a 40 in w. Jackson county. They have been seeing nice bucks for a few years now with a lot of QDMA around them. A huge nontypical was taken in w. jackson cty a few years ago so they are there but best on private. Public is hit pretty hard
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:22 am

i hunt just south of tomha 14 miles in monroe county
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:40 pm

How do the deer relate to the 4 wheeler attention. I was up there a few weeks ago on a 4 wheeler trip and the trails are everywhere, so I imagine they treat them like they do a tractor that they see every day.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Sounds like I hunted the same area as Dan. We bowhunted for a few years in Black River State Forest from Black River Falls to Hatfield and over to Pray. The last time was a few years ago and we did see a fair amount of deer but never any mature bucks but I'm sure they are around since I found plenty of sign in the more remote areas. I really should spend more time over there. The biggest problem is that there are alot of ATV trails crossing all throughout the forest and just when you think you are remote a bunch of ATV's will scream by at 50 yards.

There are a fair amount of wolves over there but not sure how they affect the deer herd. One of the logging roads I was on had tracks from deer, turkey, bear and a wolf all in about a 30 foot section of sand. :shock: Pretty neat since I never saw that much of a variety of wildlife all at once!!
str8shooter

Unread postby str8shooter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:32 pm

Slipp, I actually have lived in/around Taylor most of my life. The hunting can be good or not so good depending on what coulee you are hunting in. I tried to send you a private message but I don't know how to do it....if you can figure it out p.m. me. I don't think you'll be dissapointed in the hunting around here
Find his shed, find his bed, use your head to make him dead.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:42 am

str8shooter wrote:...I tried to send you a private message but I don't know how to do it....

Just click on the PM button at the bottom of his post, type in what you have to say and click on submit.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
RED OAK

Unread postby RED OAK » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:54 am

Slipp-
I just saw your post and I am actually very close to your area and would like to share anything that I can. I just purchased a piece in the same area three years ago and have learned alot through the Hill Country DVD and trial and error. We are primarly hills and Private Land in Western Jackson County. I came from flat land and small woodlots so the learning curve was tough at first but I am starting to get things figured out. I also wanted to PM Slipp but did not have that option on his post. Get ahold of me if you can.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:17 am

RED OAK wrote:...I also wanted to PM Slipp but did not have that option on his post...

If you are signed in you should see a PM button at the very bottom to the right of the time of the post. You can also click on his name and there will be a PM button in his profile. Just be sure to put something in the topic portion at the top or it will not go through.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Slipp we hunt public where Jackson county meets Clark county. Not sure how far away from you this is. Plenty of wolves but plenty of bucks also. Very little hunting pressure during bow season. By the way I live near Shoto. PM me if you want more info.
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:02 pm

I hunt Jackson County about 75% of my hunting season. What part are you hunting?
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Sorry guys, when I made the above posts it didn't cross my mind that as a moderator I can see the PM button regardless of whether a person has that feature turned off or not. :oops:
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Our farm where I hunt is about 20 miles South from Taylor. Good sized hills and 50/50 woods farmland. Been living here and hunting all my life. Like someone else said Jackson Cty has some great bucks but it depends on how you and your neighbors manage. In the 1990s we would kill a basket 8 point and think it was a big one. Then a big storm in 1998 came and knocked down so many trees giving the bucks a place to hide ecpecially when the underbrush came which put quite a few deer into the next year. We started managing our land around the year 2000. Its so worth it if you ask me. We put in several ponds, foodplots and most importantly let bucks get to 3 years of age before shooting them. Its really paying off too because we got a hold of our neighbors and all do the same management with the exception of 2 groups. Overall, because of the management plan we and our neighbors have been seeing and harvesting record book bucks consistently. You can PM if you have any questions Id like to hear from ya.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”