I need schooled on hunting a mature buck using the same bed.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

I need schooled on hunting a mature buck using the same bed.

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Trying to understand how you find a mature buck using the same bed, put up a stand, put the sneak on him and kill him as he is leaving the bed. The places I hunt you can't see 10 yards ahead it's that thick. You are not going to walk quietly through this stuff and it will rip your clothes up (Multiflora rose). I found a booner 10 point dead and I walked within 20 yards of him laying dead for 2 years. Even the Yotes couldn't drag his bones away it's that thick. I need the guys that do it to tell me how?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: I need schooled on hunting a mature buck using the same

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Not sure about the really thick stuff like that, but Dans two videos would answer alot of questions..Even if you dont hunt marsh or hill country, there is a ton of information about mature bucks in general in the two videos..
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:14 pm

As your example indicates, it don't work in every situation... For the most part I do a lot of scouting in the post winter / spring time before green up. When I locate a mature bucks bedding area I get right in his bed and figure out why he is bedded there. I look to see what he can see from the bed. I think about what winds he would use the bed on. Then I figure out exactly how close I can get without the buck knowing I am there and pick several trees based on winds, and the amount of cover for different times of the year...
Armed with this knowledge, I glass fields, shine ( where legal ) and use trail cams to locate big bucks and then based on the times I see them, and where I see them, I try to take a guess on which bed he is useing. Lets say I narrow it down to 4... One of the spots might be your thorn bush area where I can't get in and kill him... If I have not cut a trail to access it in the spring I might just bump that spot so if he was in that one he is now in one of the other three.... Now, I consider which of the other three he is most likley in, but I might have to pass / bump one of the other beds to get there... I would hunt the bump bed 1st, and then the next most likely that I can get to without bumping the others... This is what we refer to as "stacking"... By the time we get to the last bed, its most likely going to produce.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Stanley wrote:Trying to understand how you find a mature buck using the same bed, put up a stand, put the sneak on him and kill him as he is leaving the bed. The places I hunt you can't see 10 yards ahead it's that thick. You are not going to walk quietly through this stuff and it will rip your clothes up (Multiflora rose). I found a booner 10 point dead and I walked within 20 yards of him laying dead for 2 years. Even the Yotes couldn't drag his bones away it's that thick. I need the guys that do it to tell me how?

How can you shoot an arrow through that thick of stuff ? :?
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:16 pm

I haven't done it yet, but I know its the only way Dan and Andre hunt, and I think they've got over 50 Pope and Young's combined doing it.

I know there's alot of guys on here that hunt this way as well and a lot of them are very successful. Just because the particular area you are in is too thick do hunt this was woldnt stop these guys from traveling to different terrain to do it.

The idea would be to find the bed, scout it, sneak within 60-150 yards of the bed where you know the buck will stage and kill him.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Leaves me out. :P

Hopefully this season. :D

But I would imagine some bedding spots might be unhuntable.

The basic theory is find the bed spot in the spring.
Observe what you can as far as entrance/exit routes, sit there and see what is visible from it.
Try to determine what wind the buck uses it.

Pick a spot to set up that you can get to undetected.

Moniter the area during hunting season and when you see the buck nearby early evening ....go hunt it.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:21 pm

I ran into that multifloral rose in Ohio and the term "nasty stuff" doesn't even come close to describing it. It goes right thru your camo and jeans. My legs were tooooorrrreee up! Anyway ran into some locals who laughed at me, said don't you know you need to carry pruners with ya? My advice if you want to take it, find the bed(s) in the spring as suggested, then pick a tree and then trim an access trail to the stand. Don't be surprised if deer end up using your trail. You don't have to actually shoot to the bed, just know where its at, what or how far that buck can see, and what trails he uses to leave to his staging area. You need to be between the bed and his staging area.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:01 pm

ALL THIS SOUNDS LIKE A PERFECT SANCTUARY HUNTING TO ME!!!!!!!!O ther than bump and stack method.If I Tried to bump and stack Id stack them clear off most properties I hunt :lol:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:19 pm

To put a little spin on this I sometimes hunt the same bedding areas more than a specific buck. I can't really shine for deer in the bigwoods all that well and only have two cams so monitoring dozens of bedding areas is difficult.

If you can find the best bedding locations in a given area and hunt them you can still dramatically in crease your odds of getting on a good buck. Especially when you are talking about public or pressured land. One great bedding area might only hold one buck at a time but several different bucks could use that one area throughout the season so I just try and hunt the best bedding areas and take what is given to me.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:24 pm

goldtip5575 wrote:ALL THIS SOUNDS LIKE A PERFECT SANCTUARY HUNTING TO ME!!!!!!!!O ther than bump and stack method.If I Tried to bump and stack Id stack them clear off most properties I hunt :lol:

Sounds like you need to learn your bedding areas better........

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Couple more questions. I find the beds, unless I bump the buck out how do I determine if he is a mature buck or not. I do realize droppings and tracks help determine but rack size not. This would determine if I hunt the bed or not? I can't just arbitrarily set up a stand and hope he's carrying the goods. I can't think of a worse way to burn an area. Next question I jump a buck and determine he is a shooter. The area has a good number of does and smaller bucks. How do I get past these sentry's with out alarming the bedded buck of my approach? I assure you I bump deer every time going into any of the stands I hunt. I can usually get by with some disturbance as I'm not going into the bedding area but hunting the perimeter. The wind will help cover up some also, as it is blowing from them to me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:05 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:
Stanley wrote:Trying to understand how you find a mature buck using the same bed, put up a stand, put the sneak on him and kill him as he is leaving the bed. The places I hunt you can't see 10 yards ahead it's that thick. You are not going to walk quietly through this stuff and it will rip your clothes up (Multiflora rose). I found a booner 10 point dead and I walked within 20 yards of him laying dead for 2 years. Even the Yotes couldn't drag his bones away it's that thick. I need the guys that do it to tell me how?

How can you shoot an arrow through that thick of stuff ? :?

You just don't hang a set and hunt this area. You must cut shooting lanes.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:20 pm

Lotsa folks cannot rebuild a carb.

But it can be done if you know how to take it apart and then put all the pieces back together in the right order.

This type of hunting is similar, there are alot of key things to know/do.

If you miss one, well you have to start over and learn from you mistakes.
I believe that this method can produce very good results, if you want to do all the work required.

But to think it will do to find some beds and then go hunt them randomly is a mistake.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Stanley wrote:Couple more questions. I find the beds, unless I bump the buck out how do I determine if he is a mature buck or not. I do realize droppings and tracks help determine but rack size not. This would determine if I hunt the bed or not? I can't just arbitrarily set up a stand and hope he's carrying the goods. I can't think of a worse way to burn an area. Next question I jump a buck and determine he is a shooter. The area has a good number of does and smaller bucks. How do I get past these sentry's with out alarming the bedded buck of my approach? I assure you I bump deer every time going into any of the stands I hunt. I can usually get by with some disturbance as I'm not going into the bedding area but hunting the perimeter. The wind will help cover up some also, as it is blowing from them to me.

There is a lot of scouting and work that goes into this... Leaning the beds, learning where the satalite deer that bed around the area where the big buck beds, and being able to read beds and know whats useing them... Mature bucks tend to bed solitary, ( that does not mean there is not satalite beds ) There is often a single rub near or in the bed, sometimes mutiple. Mature Buck beds never seem to be randomly placed. Looking at the bed itself you can generally see that on a certain wind the buck will have the perfect place to bed... Good beds will be used by multiple big bucks, just not at the same time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:24 am

Zap wrote:But to think it will do to find some beds and then go hunt them randomly is a mistake.

Not sure if this is directed at my hunting the beds comment or not but I will try and answer anyway. I certainly don't hunt the beds randomly so I hope it didn't come off that way. I only hunt bedding areas on specific winds and back out if I don't see any decent sign in the area on the way in. I am after mature bucks who I know are using these areas from scouting, just being close to bedding areas can put you on good deer. It's not as thorough as the way Dan hunts but I have two little ones at home so time is very limited.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”