Do deer know who we are?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NatureBoy
500 Club

Do deer know who we are?

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:12 am

Do you think deer know who SPECIFICALLY is hunting them. For example, during spring you go into their beds. They learn your scent, "Human A". Then come fall, when you're hunting them they pick up your scent again and know that the same "Human A" that was in their bad in the spring, IS BACK :shock: . I mean dogs remember and ID humans based on scent. And deer react bad to certain human scent while the scent of Farmer John doesn't bother them at all, 'cause they know him:lol:. Course I'm sure WHERE they scent you is important too. Just a crazy thought, but it has endless possibilities.

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Do deer know who we are?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:17 am

NatureBoy wrote:Do you think deer know who SPECIFICALLY is hunting them. For example, during spring you go into their beds. They learn your scent, "Human A". Then come fall, when you're hunting them they pick up your scent again and know that the same "Human A" that was in their bad in the spring, IS BACK :shock: . I mean dogs remember and ID humans based on scent. And deer react bad to certain human scent while the scent of Farmer John doesn't bother them at all, 'cause they know him:lol:. Course I'm sure WHERE they scent you is important too. Just a crazy thought, but it has endless possibilities.

Yes, there actually has been a study done on this and they can positively identify people by their scent. That is why stand entry and exit strategies are so important yet largely overlooked by hunters.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:17 am

Im positive they CAN idea us by our smell, just like a dog, but Im not sure if they do.. Especially if you only intrude on their area once or twice in the spring, then not again until the fall. Sure they smell us both times, but I dont know if they say to themselves "hey I remember this guy being here last april!"

But who knows??
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:18 am

Indianahunter wrote:Yes, there actually has been a study done on this and they can positively identify people by their scent. That is why stand entry and exit strategies are so important yet largely overlooked by hunters.

Do you remember where you read that study Indiana? I think it would be an interesting read.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:33 am

NatureBoy wrote:
Indianahunter wrote:Yes, there actually has been a study done on this and they can positively identify people by their scent. That is why stand entry and exit strategies are so important yet largely overlooked by hunters.

Do you remember where you read that study Indiana? I think it would be an interesting read.

I will look buddy I can't remember if I read it in an article or a book, but I will look around and post it if I find it :D
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:44 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Im positive they CAN idea us by our smell, just like a dog, but Im not sure if they do.. Especially if you only intrude on their area once or twice in the spring, then not again until the fall. Sure they smell us both times, but I dont know if they say to themselves "hey I remember this guy being here last april!"

But who knows??

Yeah I don't know about that in particular. I do know they did tests with a farmer who frequented the field on his tractor and as long as he kept his distance they were fine and barely paid any attention, but when they sent someone new out there on the same tractor they blew out of there. They also did studies with captured deer and had a blind test of food that was handled by the guy who regularly fed them and another bin from another person who had never been in there and they would not touch the stuff the stranger put out until the other was gone the next day. They did the studies with wild deer and had similar results in that they avoided every area this guy was in. Whether your scent is familiar or not if you are in their home turf in the woods it is imperative to plan your routes because if it is unfamiliar or not they are not going to take chances.
You younger guys won't know this name, but I read an interview with Myles Keller in the late 80's and he said that if he could drop out of the sky and land in his treestand He could kill any deer. I believe that.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:05 am

Imagine there is an underground deer, human scent data bank? I bet Dan would be at the " Extreme Danger / Most Wanted List!!!"

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:31 pm

Yes and no...

I think they can learn an individuals scent... I would say I am sure of it. But it might be a stretch to think they would remeber an individuals scent after 6 months of not smelling it. Hard to say, I have had coons I raised as a baby come back a year or two later to have there young and seemingly remember me, but not tolerate strangers...
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:21 pm

dan wrote:Hard to say, I have had coons I raised as a baby come back a year or two later to have there young and seemingly remember me, but not tolerate strangers...

Some bucks just seem to have uncanny survival abilities. Or maybe it's just cause I'm a lousy hunter that it seems that way to me. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of them had long term memories.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”