Will the heat restrict antler growth ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Will the heat restrict antler growth ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:25 am

It's been a hot summer here in south west WI..... Does anybody know, will that hurt the growth of antlers for the year ? I mean, it's always hot in the south like Texas, and they still get some big racks down there, maybe it doesn't matter ? :?

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Will the heat restrict antler growth ?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:43 am

I have no science to back up my claim, but I believe any type of stress will affect antler growth, just don't know how much. I would assume the longer the heat wave the more it will affect it. As for the Texas Deer, they have probably adapted to the heat, just like northern bucks have adapted to the cold. Just my .02.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:00 am

I personally think it does have an effect. If the buck is constantly playing catch-up with hydration then I would think that is taking at least a minimal amount of nutrients from growing the hardware.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:28 am

If there wasn't much water available in the area I could see if having an effect but if the deer have plenty of water in the area I don't think you will notice much of a change.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:01 am

headgear wrote:If there wasn't much water available in the area I could see if having an effect but if the deer have plenty of water in the area I don't think you will notice much of a change.

X2
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:23 am

I believe it has an effect... How much? Who knows, we need a study to find that out... I believe its mostly the drought and how it effects the plants the deer eat. I think it could be hot, but have a lot of rain and the effect would be less damaging... When you refferance deer from "Texas" remember that texas whitetails are a sub-species that are different from our northern deer. They are smaller and more adapted to taking higher heat and drought... Our Whitetails in the North are bigger animals that have to put on a lot of fat over the summer to build up for the winter. Heat and drought effects them differently.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:42 am

If an animal is stressed by heat it could very well effect antler growth.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:00 am

Dan is correct. The heat is stressful but not nearly as much as drought condition in which it effects food source quality especially during the critical stages of antler development. The difference between Texas and midwest deer is the difference in diet not heat. Dr. Grant Woods is predicting 20-30% reduction in potential development for antlers this year based on the drought conditions he is experiencing in Arkansas.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:01 am

Stanley wrote:If an animal is stressed by heat it could very well effect antler growth.

Stanley! Welcome to the beast.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:14 am

I think it will but I don't think too many places in the upper midwest are in drought conditions. There are still plenty of creeks, ponds, lakes, etc to keep them going. Even when it got really hot here for a few weeks we still had dew on the grass in low lying areas, which would be enough to keep a deer going.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:31 am

Last year was an exceptional growth year throughout the MidWest... this year not as good, but still producing whoppers in the right areas
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
slipp

Unread postby slipp » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:14 am

I thought horn growth was up this year in Eastern WI. Bucks look to be finished up growing around my neck of the woods.
GIVEM THE BLADE....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”