Milkweed Pods

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Milkweed Pods

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:30 am

Anyone know where I can buy these. I don't think I have any near where I hunt but I've never specifically looked for them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks Dewey. Ifound this out on the other milkweed thread.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:52 am

I was walking to a meeting at work the other day, looked out a window and sure enough there are a dozen or so milkweed pods! Never even noticed them before, mostly because I didn't know what I was looking for. They were dried out and empty of course, but now I know where to score some next summer. :dance:

On a side note, my co-workers thought it was pretty funny I had to interrupt our walk to check out the pods.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:04 am

Does anyone have any milkweed they'd like to sell?
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:19 am

I have some

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:51 pm

I still have a stash from last yr.. but have scoped out a nice crop just down the rd. I have pickers anxiety.. everyday I drive by n look like someone is gonna stop n steal em from me...haha!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Bump

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:51 am

olivertractor wrote:Any other useful containers for milkweed.......pill bottle, pod, coin purse any other ideas, got some stuffed in a pill bottle after a little struggle :lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol:
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:19 am

So I picked a target bag full of these today, split them and laid them on a sheet of plywood in the garage. Anything else I need to do?

When they are dry are you just deseeding them and stuffing a handful into the container or do I need to try to keep the fluff together like it is laid in the pod?

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:47 am

pitz0022 wrote:So I picked a target bag full of these today, split them and laid them on a sheet of plywood in the garage. Anything else I need to do?

When they are dry are you just deseeding them and stuffing a handful into the container or do I need to try to keep the fluff together like it is laid in the pod?

I just leave them be for dry. They split on their own. An old dip can scrubbed out works great. Poke a little hole on top, thread it through and tape it up to dampen noise. A pinch of the good stuff! LOL

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:34 am

pitz0022 wrote:So I picked a target bag full of these today, split them and laid them on a sheet of plywood in the garage. Anything else I need to do?

I generally split and de-seed them right away, then put the wet fluff in a paper bag or something similar that will allow them to dry, wait a week or so and check on the fluff, there is a center spine that holds the fluff together when wet, just remove them once everything is dry and you will have more than you know what to do with.
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:38 am

wickedbruiser wrote: Poke a little hole on top, thread it through and tape it up to dampen noise. A pinch of the good stuff! LOL

So you are keeping the whole fluff bunch together and sticking the end through the hole in the lid?

BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:44 am

I've had less than ideal results leaving them sit to dry in the open. Unless you like milkweed seeds all over your garage indefinitely. Paper bag seems like a sound method.

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:12 am

If anyone needs Milkweed pods, I have a ton of them on my property. I can pick more and send you some if you don't have access to them. Just want to help out fellow hunters/beast members.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:51 am

pitz0022 wrote:
wickedbruiser wrote: Poke a little hole on top, thread it through and tape it up to dampen noise. A pinch of the good stuff! LOL

So you are keeping the whole fluff bunch together and sticking the end through the hole in the lid?

I'll shred the white fluff from the spine. Deseed as much as possible and rub the fluff gently together into a whole. Pack the can as much as you can and pinch the middle up through the hole from the bottom of the lid. Snap the lid on and it will start to floss out as you pull the fluff

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”