Concealed Carry Q & A's

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Concealed Carry Q & A's

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:49 am

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Concealed Carry Q & A's

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:34 am

How do the new CCW law changes effect me as a hunter, trapper, recreational vehicle operator or user of DNR lands?
1. Transportation of Firearms

Is it true that firearms no longer have to be unloaded or in a case if a vehicle?

All long guns, such as rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders must still be unloaded and completely enclosed within a case before they may be placed, possessed or transported in or on a vehicle (including trailers, wagons, snowmobiles or All-Terrain vehicles). Long guns must still be unloaded before they may be placed, possessed or transported in a motor boat with the motor running. However, the new change made under to concealed carry legislation was the elimination of the requirement to unload or case a handgun before it is placed, possessed or transported in or on a vehicle, boat, snowmobile or ATV. This change for handguns does not take effect until Nov. 1, 2011.
2. Shining Deer or Other Wildlife

If I have a concealed carry license or I am a qualified former law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a concealed handgun, can I now possess this handgun while shining deer or other wild animals for viewing purposes?

No. The legislation involving carrying concealed weapons, as well as the transportation of handguns, did not make any changes to the shining restrictions. It continues to be illegal to shine for wild animals while in possession of a any bow, crossbow or firearm, even if the firearm is a handgun possessed by a person who has a concealed carry license, or is a firearm possessed by a retired or former law enforcement officer. It also continues to be illegal to shining between the hours of 10pm and the following 7am from September 15th through December 31st, even if a person does not possess any firearm, bow or crossbow. Additional local county restrictions may also apply.
3. Possession of Firearms in State Wildlife Refuge Areas

If I have a license to carry a concealed weapon, or I am a qualified former law enforcement officer, can I now carry a loaded and uncased firearm in a wildlife refuge where firearms are normally required to be unloaded and encased ?

Beginning on Nov. 1, 2011, a person with a concealed carry license will be allowed to possess a handgun which is loaded and uncased (concealed or unconcealed), and a qualified former law enforcement officer may possess the type of firearm they qualified with and which is indicated on their certification card, loaded and uncased (concealed or unconcealed) in a wildlife refuge. This exemption however does not allow such persons to hunt or discharge their firearm in the refuge.
4. Possession of Firearms in State Parks & State Fish Hatcheries

If I have a license to carry a concealed weapon, or I am a qualified former law enforcement officer, can I now carry a loaded and uncased firearm in a Wisconsin State Park or State Fish Hatchery where firearms are normally required to be unloaded and encased ?

Beginning on Nov. 1, 2011, a person with a concealed carry license will be allowed to possess a handgun which is loaded and uncased (concealed or unconcealed), and a qualified former law enforcement officer may possess the type of firearm they qualified with and which is indicated on their certification card, loaded and uncased (concealed or unconcealed) in a Wisconsin State Park or State Fish Hatchery. This exemption however does not allow such persons to hunt or discharge their firearm in the Wisconsin State Park or State Fish Hatchery, nor does it allow bringing the firearm inside state owned buildings on these properties which are posted with signs that provide notice that firearms are not allowed in the building.
5. Age for Possession or Hunting with a Handgun

Did the concealed carry legislation change the age of persons who may go armed with a handgun, hunt with a handgun or the species which may be hunted with a handgun?

No. A person must still be at least age 21 to purchase a firearm which is a handgun, and age 18 to possess or hunt with a firearm which is a handgun. The species which may be hunted with handgun and the caliber and barrel length minimums have not change.
6. Carrying a Concealed Firearm while Hunting

If I am at least 18 years old and can legally hunt with a handgun, can I also carry that handgun concealed under my jacket or in a backpack while I am hunting?

Generally speaking, the answer is no. A person must be at least age 21 to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon. However, beginning on Nov. 1, 2011, a person who owns, leases, or is the legal occupant of land and who is age 18 or older, can possess a concealed handgun on that land without the need for a concealed carry license. This would mean a person meeting these conditions who is age 18 or older, even without a concealed carry license could possess a concealed handgun, and hunt using a concealed handgun which is a legal size and caliber for the species being hunted. But only on their land, and only with a handgun. It continues to be illegal to possess concealed long guns.
7. Possession of Firearms on DNR lands in the 17 Restricted Counties

Have the restrictions on possessing a loaded or uncased firearm on DNR owned lands changed in those counties were it is not legal to possess a loaded uncased firearm when not engaged in lawful hunting unless at a designated range or engaged in a permitted dog trial or training?

The answer is yes if the firearm is a handgun if possessed by a person with a concealed carry license, but no for a qualified former law enforcement officer unless they also possess a concealed carry license. On DNR lands which are not state parks, state fish hatcheries or wildlife refuges, such as normal public hunting grounds, and which are located in Dane, Dodge, Fond du lac, Jefferson, Juneau, Kenosha, LaCrosse, Milwaukee, Outagamie, Ozaukee, Racine, Sauk, Sheboygan, Walworth, Washington, Waukesha, Winnebago counties or on state forest lands in the Kettle Moraine or Point Beach state forests or state recreational areas, it continues to be illegal to possess or control a loaded or uncased firearm unless engaged in lawful hunting or at a designated range or engaged in a dog trial or training activity under a permit.
8. Where do I apply for a Concealed Carry License

Applications for a license to carry a concealed weapon must be obtain from and submit to the Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ), and not the DNR. Licenses will not be available until November 1, 2011 when the new laws and license take effect. For more information about laws related to carrying a concealed weapon, or about getting and submitting an application for a CCW License, we recommend you check out the DOJ web site at: http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/Con ... dCarry.asp
9. How do I obtain a Duplicate Hunter Education Certificate?

Should your safety education certificate become lost or destroyed, you may obtain a duplicate by following the steps below:

You can purchase and print a duplicate safety education certificate from home. Go to Wisconsin's Online Licensing Center. OR
Locate a DNR Service Center or a DNR License Sales Agent nearest you to purchase and receive a duplicate safety education certificate over the counter.
FEE: There is a $2.75 charge for a duplicate safety education certificate.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/safety/duplic.htm
10. Will the DNR be Changing the Curriculum of the Hunter Education Classes to include Laws on Carrying Concealed Weapons ?

No. The DNR's hunter education course will remain the same. The Department of Natural Resources is not required, nor do we have any plans to modify our current hunter education course of instruction to include any new material or training specific to handguns or carrying a concealed weapon. The only correlation that the hunter education program has to the licenses to carry a concealed weapon is that it simply happens to be one of the types of training that the legislature has considered acceptable to qualify for a person to apply for a carry concealed weapon (CCW) license, along with needing to be at least age 21, a Wisconsin resident and not prohibited from possessing a firearm. A person has many other options to obtain firearms training to qualify for a CCW license.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Concealed Carry Q & A's

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”