world record potential

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

world record potential

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:08 am

wisconsin has the potential for some great booners heres a map on the deer shot last cople years , its the boone/crooket-p/y mapImage

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Re: world record potential

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:03 am

Can you give us any more info, what do the colors stand for? Also any chance you could expand that map out a little more, maybe get the whole midwest or even the whole country?
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 am

headgear wrote:Can you give us any more info, what do the colors stand for? Also any chance you could expand that map out a little more, maybe get the whole midwest or even the whole country?

x2 or a link?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 am

i dont know how to put a link on can you guys help with that??????????
also the darker orange is the higher amount of bid bucks the green shades are the lowest spots for buck
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:47 am

Where did you find the maps?
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:56 am

When you bring up the maps go all the way to the top of your screen and see the http or www right click on it and copy then post to this thread and them right click paste.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:01 am

headgear wrote:Where did you find the maps?

QDM sight
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:43 pm

One thing I noted when CWD hunts started in WI was the quality of bucks seemed to improve in CWD units. Its interesting to note that almost the entire CWD area is a trophy buck area. I made a similar observation in the Tigerton (WI) area after a couple years of EAB regs (also supported by this map).

Don't get me wrong, I hate CWD (and EAB) regs. They destroyed many public hunting areas. I hunt private, public, and everything I can find in between. However, it seems these regs improved trophy quality in the state of WI.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Don't get me wrong, I hate CWD (and EAB) regs. They destroyed many public hunting areas. I hunt private, public, and everything I can find in between. However, it seems these regs improved trophy quality in the state of WI.

I disagree with the regs improving the quality...

In my area all the young stupid deer and most of the does were killed right away making the bucks compete for the does and get more vulnerable... About 4 years into CWD it was real hard to find a 1 1/2 year old buck or a doe, because of this hard work and hard hunting would result in seeing big bucks more often than little deer. They were not bigger because there was less deer... They were getting shot cause there was no other deer to shoot. Most hunters quit for the season after killing a deer....
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Dan, I had a feeling I would get a reply from you. . .

Perhaps my areas aren't far enough into the program. I did notice a slight decline last year, perhaps this year will be worst. There are a lot of factors that go into the equation. More QDM, more food plots, etc. However, I don't think you can argue against the potential of a buck having it easier during the winter stress period due to reduced competition in the woods for food. Its gives him a head start going into the fall. Plus the improved buck to doe ratio makes the trophy bucks significantly more vulnerable during the rut period. I can make the same argument in the EAB areas where the big buck hunting seemed to improve.

I'm with you. I hate the regs. I can go over a week without seeing a deer in the CWD area. However, at the same time, I'm seeing bigger bucks in the woods and bigger bucks at the registration station. Its not uncommon for me to see several bucks running a doe like a pack of wolves. Maybe I've secretly become a significantly better hunter or I'm getting luckier as I age. . . I can only hope ;)
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:42 pm

The only thing that eab did was create a larger population of bigger bucks the first couple years after its start.After this stock of bucks was shot off as 3.5 year olds there was nothing left to restock as the next generation of bucks were all shot as nubbies to get your eab sticker.If you have prime property to hunt there will always be big bucks there.But if if your property was so so you probably arent seeing much cuz the overflow of bucks aint there no more.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:49 pm

I wouldn't call my property prime. I spend a lot of time on public. Its slow at times.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”