your hunting rig and advertising hunting spots??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

76chevy
500 Club

your hunting rig and advertising hunting spots??

Unread postby 76chevy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:32 am

I see a lot of guys with trucks all covered with deer hunting decals and advertisements "bowtech archery, muddy stands" etc

myself, I prefer a more low key vehicle that does not advertise my spot to others who drive by

when on public land I often drive and hunt out of a car or yuppie suv so as not to advertise my location or the fact that I might have hunting gear inside the vehicle

I want passers by to think I am a nature walker or hiker not a deer hunter, I often will park far away and on the opposite side of the road so as not to advertise a spot

how about you guys??

". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: your hunting rig and advertising hunting spots??

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:43 am

Not sure how much it matters... I know that I often have hunters waiting for me at my truck when I hunt locally and try to get info out of me or whine about that being there spot... But I think thats because of who I am and that the locals know my truck.
I know personally, I am more likely to hunt a spot that has a car, or a "nature lover" vehicle parked there than an obvious hunting vehicle because I don't want competition. And I would rather not intrude.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 am

My favorite hunting rig is a minivan, but I normally use my ford focus. I don't have any stickers on my car, but I make it clear with the open case in the car that Im hunting and there is nothing in the car to steal (hopefully). As for parking on the opposite side of the road, I think many people think about that. I agree with Dan though, by doing some of the things you are doing to "trick" people, they could be backfiring on you. If I think your on the north side of the road based on your vehicle being there, I will likely go to my spot anyway. However if I'm new to the area, I'm going to the south side when I see your car on the North, as I want to get away from the crowds. As for lots of stickers on a vehicle, I kinda get the "look at this yahoo" feeling when I see that stuff.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:12 am

I stay away from stickers on my truck and think that having them on your vehicle could draw thieves thinking you have valuable hunting items inside.

As far as not hunting anywhere near your parking spot that is something I do all the time on public land. I often circle way around depending on the wind and walk way out of the way and avoid areas where I leave fresh tracks in the mud or snow by walking in certain areas. Avoiding other hunters is half the battle and you have to get pretty creative sometimes.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:50 pm

I dont have any decals on my truck but my License plate does say RUTIN with a big 10pt buck on it! Either way there are SO many freakin hunters in Ohio that every woodlot seems to have someone in it, so when that time of season comes it obvious why trucks are parked everywhere off road. I do agree with the thieft comment tho... this is truely why I dont have decals on my truck
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:05 pm

I try to have my wife drop me off and pick me up....People always standing around my jeep wanting my autograph when I come out off the woods. :D
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:28 pm

I use a chevy tahoe and never put stickers or any of that stuff on my truck......I generally use the parking lots or park on the side of the road, most of my spots on public a guy could go anywhere from any parking lot so your not really giving much away
When better is possible, good is never good enough
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:53 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:I try to have my wife drop me off and pick me up....People always standing around my jeep wanting my autograph when I come out off the woods. :D

Image Your a funny man Autumn Ninja!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:10 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:I try to have my wife drop me off and pick me up....People always standing around my jeep wanting my autograph when I come out off the woods. :D

Same problem here, gets old after a while. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:37 am

no one is trying to get my autograph -- and that's just fine with me :lol:

I heard somewhere that Andrae used to have people follow him out to try to steal his spots, any one know if this is true??
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:48 am

I heard somewhere that Andrae used to have people follow him out to try to steal his spots, any one know if this is true??

I wouldn't doubt its true. I think anybody that is known for pulling out the big ones consistently is gonna have issues. I'm waiting for an episode of punked, where Dan sits in a telephone pole in a wide open field, then they tape guy after guy hunting that pole for the rest of the season. :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:50 am

I guess I hope to get good enough to have people start following me, then I will worry about it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:54 am

76chevy wrote:no one is trying to get my autograph -- and that's just fine with me :lol:

True
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:02 am

I used to try to keep my spots secret. I think the best method is to advertize your spots. Park in the open, leave a beer can on your hood, hang a bunch of flagging tape, etc. I used to shy away from spots like this. I think it deters serious hunters. Instead of monster buck stickers get one that says "shoot em young- they taste better" or "you can't eat horns".
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 am

I have hunting stickers all over my truck cause it looks cool. But I know I probably shouldn't. I think if they see a pickup truck with stickers or not near a hunting spot anyone in the right mind is gonna think they are hunting anyways. Nothing you can really do about it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”