Announcing Slayer Seed!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Announcing Slayer Seed!

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:45 pm

With Dan's blessing I am announcing "Slayer Seed".

This is something I have been thinking about since around 1983. Back then I didn't know anything about business and I thought there was no room left in the market for another seed company. Company's kept coming out over the years and each time I kept thinking that now the market was flooded. Image lol. In 1998 I started making custom seed blends (& doing habitat planning/management) for people as a hobby because I enjoyed helping people grow bigger deer and make their hunting better. I have put a ridicules number of hours of research into plants and forage for deer. Even down to the amino acid make up of the protein in plants when I could find it and believe me... I dig long, deep and hard. LOTS of dry boring reading of university papers offset by the fun of field testing hundreds of varieties of forage plants. Why? Because I always hoped to own a piece of whitetail heaven to manage and because I'm a Whitetail Freak!! Image Plus I have a little bit of an obsesive compulsive personality. :lol:

Well, now that I "know" there is no money in the seed business for the little guy, I decided to start one. :lol: I decided to do it because it's just what I want to do. It's part of my passion. I seriously doubt I will ever make a living at it. My goal is to just get what I can from it, see where it will take me and most importantly to provide the best darn seed blends on the market!!! Period!

So anyway, after filling you in on a little background info, I will tell you what I have if anyone is interested.

I currently have three mixes. At the moment the bags are for planting 1/2 acre. If you need a different amount just PM me.

"Brassica Buffet" is a premium mix of brassica's including hybrids that are not only a late season draw like is usually expected from brassicas, but you will likely find that the deer will eat some of the plants (20% of the mix) starting in the early season. This mix has up to 43% protein and is high in energy. $19.99

"Pure Clover" is a mix of clovers that all have a specific purpose and is for those that want a stand of pure clover. This mix has up to 29% protein. $29.99

"B+C" is a combination of both of the above with a reduced rate of the Brassica Buffet so it doesn't shade out the clover and is of course up to 43% protein. $34.99

I will have at least three more mixes for next year and in the coming weeks I will be donating a variety of mixes for the BBB (Beast Big Buck contest) including a great new mix I will be coming out with called "Awesome Antlers".

Also, due to lack of graphics design talent and limited money (can't afford to hire it done) there are no fancy bags or packaging. Just a good product. I don't use any cheap filler seed or old seed like many other brands either (another reason I started this business). I also do not have a website set up or the ability to take credit cards yet. I was hoping to get it all set up before I made this post, but it's getting late so I decided not to wait.

PM me for details (like shipping) if your interested as well as with any questions or comments you may have.
Last edited by DEERSLAYER on Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Spelling

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Announcing Slayer Seed!

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:09 pm

DUDE I just bought and planted my brassicas last weekend...I would have totally been interested in the blends you posted...obviously you are doing this as a business and no one wants to say what is in the mix because then everyone will head out and just make their own (although I bought a half acre worth of seed making my own mix and for sure paid higher prices than what you listed) but is there anyway to tell what is in the mixes? Particularly interested in the brassica buffet and if you included radishes in there?

Better yet may be some pics of some sample plots you planted? Anyhow best of luck to you and future success I wish this were posted a week or two ago...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Yes, there are radishes in the Brassica Buffet. They are a brassica too. I don't have any pics as I had a computer crash a while back and lost not only the pics, but also a couple thousand hours of research that I had compiled over many years. :evil: :evil: :evil:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:01 am

Congrats Lance on your new venture. Lookout Whitetail Institue, Tecomate, etc. etc
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:22 am

Good post Lance....congrats on taking that first major step. But what the heck took you so long, you getting younger or something? :D

As I read your post believe your reasoning is sound. After being in several businesses over the years, a couple of thoughts. Do things that you have a passion about, that way you never question your reasoning why you do what your doing, and it never becomes a job. Make the quest for knowledge and being the best you can be, be your guide. Business is business, you have to be profitable or you don't remain in business, but money becomes a by product of being good at what you chose to do.

Wish you the best in your new endevor, and let us all know how we can help.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:10 am

Good luvk with this, Deerslayer.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BONECRUSHER

Unread postby BONECRUSHER » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:20 am

Congrats to your product !!!!!!!!!!!!!
And another Michigan Product !!!!!!!
Scott Hill

Nose to the wind, Carbon to the cheek and finger on the trigger
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:41 am

Heck Ya Deerslayer!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:33 am

Cool Deerslayer! I just have one little plot behind my house but as soon as my reserve seed runs low I will put in an order.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:12 am

I got some seed for a small farm I hunt that my buddy Dave owns.. I really believe that Lance knows his stuff regarding seed and food plotting. I have also noticed his passion for making sure everything is the best it can be...
I really hope this takes off for him!
Lance, if you want to put some of your seed in our online store your more than welcome. Get ahold of Carol and we will set you up as a drop ship dealer...
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:27 am

Good luck with everything Deerslayer!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:50 am

Best of luck with your new venture!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:20 am

Sounds awesome Deerslayer, and good luck with everything! 8-)

I will definitely keep you in mind if I ever get the chance to do some land management again!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:34 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Yes, there are radishes in the Brassica Buffet. They are a brassica too. I don't have any pics as I had a computer crash a while back and lost not only the pics, but also a couple thousand hours of research that I had compiled over many years. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Awesome thats good news about the radish...AWFUL news about the comp crash I'm sorry man!

Anyhow best of luck to you I think this will be a success.

If you have a blend or can suggest a good crop to plant in early fall (late august/sept) in northern WI that will mature before the first frost and draw in some deer I'd be interested in making a purchase....good luck getting your seed sale set up in the BEAST store thats a solid start!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:14 pm

Slayer Seed... awesome, man!

Being OCD can help with the passionate pursuit of any new endeavor, I'm confident it will be just that for you. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”