Does sugar or caffeine affect anyone elses bow shooting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Re: Does sugar or caffeine affect anyone elses bow shooting

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:05 am

Caffeine, sugar, alcohol: I don't worry about it. Why? 1" or 4" groups at 40 yards is a dead deer, IMO.

Instead of trying to settle things down, I've tried the opposite. When I was preparing for an elk hunt out of state, I would ride the Schwinn Airdyne for a half an hour to get the heart pumping, then literally run outside and shoot 50 yard groups. I did this because I felt it would mimic the worst case hunting scenario, where you had to scramble to get into position, then take the shot.

GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Strong coffee does not bother me a bit and I dont believe it affects my shooting. However, If i have sugar with it, I get the shakes. Straight black strong coffee and I am fine.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:47 pm

A tip I learned a while ago was use mint to relax yourself before practice or a bow shoot. Mint is calming, it helped me get in the "zone." I stay far away from caffeine when shooting the bow, I try not to practice after even a stressful day at work - definitely hurts my concentration.

I would add that concentration for shooting a bow is very individual and any person may do best with a different approach than others.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”