How old do you think this guy is?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Re: How old do you think this guy is?

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Shoot for sure if it's your first! This talk about putting the camera all over the place sounds counterproductive though. Just my .02

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:00 pm

DropTyne wrote:Shoot for sure if it's your first! This talk about putting the camera all over the place sounds counterproductive though. Just my .02

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

i would put it were they feed at night not to scare them theres already human scent around so there used to it u should get most of the biggest buck in the area ;) 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:40 pm

I wouldn't worry if he is 3.5 or not. He'd be a very nice first bow kill. Depending on the area your in and the pressure it receives he may be a very good buck. Most really good hunters started off shooting some smaller ones and working their way up. If he's a 2.5, take him if you want because you don't have to justify your kill to anyone as long as it was taken legal. Take whatever age deer you'll be happy with. When it stops being a challenge or you're not excited about just taking a 2.5, then bump up your standards to 3.5, then to 4.5 and so on. Most of the really good hunters on this site (ones that get it done year after year) did not just start off shooting 160 class deer. Good luck with him this year.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Looks like he will be a 2 1/2 year old this fall.

First deer.............if you get a chance shoot him!!
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:36 am

Im gonna say 3 1/2 but its hard to say with the pic bein so dark
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:51 am

mcmidc wrote:I wouldn't worry if he is 3.5 or not. He'd be a very nice first bow kill. Depending on the area your in and the pressure it receives he may be a very good buck. Most really good hunters started off shooting some smaller ones and working their way up. If he's a 2.5, take him if you want because you don't have to justify your kill to anyone as long as it was taken legal. Take whatever age deer you'll be happy with. When it stops being a challenge or you're not excited about just taking a 2.5, then bump up your standards to 3.5, then to 4.5 and so on. Most of the really good hunters on this site (ones that get it done year after year) did not just start off shooting 160 class deer. Good luck with him this year.

Great advice there!
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:55 am

I am going to go ahead and go after him. Opening day morning I plan on hunting a doe area which is about 3/4 mile a way. Hopefully I will get a doe in the morning. Then around 2 I plan on being on stand at the entrance he uses to get to his bedding area. Only if the wind if right though. I want to keep from pressuring him to much. My neighbors on one side only hunts gun season and no one else hunts within a good 2 mile radious. Anyways, thanks for your help guys.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:36 am

sticknstringarchery wrote:I am going to go ahead and go after him. Opening day morning I plan on hunting a doe area which is about 3/4 mile a way. Hopefully I will get a doe in the morning. Then around 2 I plan on being on stand at the entrance he uses to get to his bedding area. Only if the wind if right though. I want to keep from pressuring him to much. My neighbors on one side only hunts gun season and no one else hunts within a good 2 mile radious. Anyways, thanks for your help guys.

well it sounds good do you have any arieals of this proporty that we can seen?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”