What is your cold weather gear?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JRM6868
The Terminator

What is your cold weather gear?

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:10 am

From your socks to your hat what do you guys wear when the temps get really cold from the teens down to below zero?

Bucky

Re: What is your cold weather gear?

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:44 am

Lots of wool here... merino under layers/socks - all with coverage to the upper neck,wool vest, wind sheer jacket on really cold days, cabelas wooltimate jacket, stand master bibs. 1000gram Thinsulate boots with boot blankets... that way I can walk long distances and still have warm feet when I need to sit all day. I don't like to wear gloves unless I have to... hands in pockets with hand warmers, light UA gloves if needed. The most important piece is the pack... I use an Eblerstock X2 to pack everything in + I can lash my stand to the back of the pack. The X2 has an aluminum frame that keeps everything off your back and helps prevent getting all sweated up + it has tons of storage space/compartments...

After reading all that I have read though... maybe the way to go is a Heater Body Suit. My uncle swears by his... I just don't know if I want to deal with getting in and out at the moment of truth :?:

JRM - what is your set up?

By far my favorite piece of gear is the merino wool against the skin. It wicks sweat, keeps you warm, doesn't bind like UA, never gets stinky!, feels comfy, and is thin for layering.
Last edited by Bucky on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:48 am

Wool and synthetic socks, boot blankets for feet. Looking to pop on some high quality wool boot blankets from Gray Wolf Woolens because my feet always get cold. Looking for other recommendations here, will keep tabs on this post!

Under armour layers up the ying yang and my insulated Gray Wolf Woolens bibs and pullover, best investment ever, still look and perform like new after 5 years.

My hands are always cold, I rely on Hot Hands hand warmers. I wear very lightweight gloves so I can shoot my bow properly. Heard great things about Under Armour gloves, will maybe check them out?

Stocking hats almost year round, if my melon is warm I'm generally pretty good.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:59 am

I'm going to take some pics of my layer system tonight. I've spent alot of money trying all the wrong things over the years and thought a thread like this could help some people save some money.

One thing is I sweat alot walking to stand so I wanted something I could layer and still stay warm. Plus I wanted something that was thin so mobility wasn't hampered. The stuff I have isn't perfected yet but I'm getting close
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:02 am

Lots of wool and warm boots for me too, but lately I have been favoring the heater body suit. I always carry a couple large ziplocs with me in case I need to shed a sweated up base layer.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:07 am

Bucky wrote:Lots of wool here... merino under layers/socks - all with coverage to the upper neck,wool vest, wind sheer jacket on really cold days, cabelas wooltimate jacket, stand master bibs. 1000gram Thinsulate boots with boot blankets... that way I can walk long distances and still have warm feet when I need to sit all day. I don't like to wear gloves unless I have to... hands in pockets with hand warmers, light UA gloves if needed. The most important piece is the pack... I use an Eblerstock X2 to pack everything in + I can lash my stand to the back of the pack. The X2 has an aluminum frame that keeps everything off your back and helps prevent getting all sweated up + it has tons of storage space/compartments...

After reading all that I have read though... maybe the way to go is a Heater Body Suit. My uncle swears by his... I just don't know if I want to deal with getting in and out at the moment of truth :?:

By far my favorite piece of gear is the merino wool against the skin. It wicks sweat, keeps you warm, doesn't bind like UA, never gets stinky!, feels comfy, and is thin for layering.

Do you have a link to what you use?
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:00 am

Over the years I have used all kinds of stuff. Under armour base layers, multiple layers of long johns, bibs, wool pants, double layer parkas, pack boots, etc.. I dressed light and got dressed at the base of the tree and still got cold.

I finally bit the bullet and bought the Heater Body Suit last year, and I feel like I now have the perfect setup. I wear Minus33 midweight merino wool base layers and smartwool socks. My boots are 800gr alpha burleys (my big pac boots now stay at home). I then wear the same uninsulated (or very lightly insulated if any) guide series pants I wear all year. Up top I wear either a cabelas fleece pullover or a medium weight fall jacket. On my head I just wear a $4 fleece walmart stocking hat. If its brutal cold, I have another one of those hats that I cut the top off and can wear it as a neck gaiter/facemask. On my hands are just thin cotton gloves. I get to the tree and throw the HBS on and I can easily sit in temps down to 0 no problem. Any colder than that and I will throw on a pair of long johns.

I've said it before, but that HBS was one of the best investments I've made, and had I bought it 5 years ago, it wouldve saved me money because I wouldn't have bought all those bibs, parkas, boots, etc.

They are windproof and water resistant, not really any heavier or bulkier than carrying all that other stuff out (I strap mine to my stand), and they are made in eastern wisconsin.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:09 am

I should also mention that being in good shape (which I am currently not) will help you stay warmer on stand as well. You won't get as sweated up on the walk out, and good circulation will help keep you warmer..

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:35 am

Cornfed, I just picked up a heater body suit. I can't wait to try it out this year. I CAN'T STAND getting all layered up and trying to shoot my bow. Nothing feels right and I feel like my anchor points aren't lining up. This year with the HBS should be awesome! Can't wait.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:41 am

JRM6868 wrote:
Bucky wrote:Lots of wool here... merino under layers/socks - all with coverage to the upper neck,wool vest, wind sheer jacket on really cold days, cabelas wooltimate jacket, stand master bibs. 1000gram Thinsulate boots with boot blankets... that way I can walk long distances and still have warm feet when I need to sit all day. I don't like to wear gloves unless I have to... hands in pockets with hand warmers, light UA gloves if needed. The most important piece is the pack... I use an Eblerstock X2 to pack everything in + I can lash my stand to the back of the pack. The X2 has an aluminum frame that keeps everything off your back and helps prevent getting all sweated up + it has tons of storage space/compartments...

Do you have a link to what you use?

http://www.firstlite.com/product_detail/5/chama
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:58 am

We don't have the cold temp problem here. Seldom does it get to zero anymore. Low teens, maybe and that's not until late December, January, or February.
I like the cold. 20 - 30 degrees is comfortable to me. Our biggest problem is wind chill. On those days I use a pair of Artic Shield bibs. Other than that I layer up with light long underwear and regular camo with some fleece thrown in.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:08 am

Warm feet, so warm boots and boot covers to put on when you get on station.

One of the best thing I ever purchased to stay warm was a heatbelt that holds three large bodywarmers......places the warmers over your kidneys.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 am

Thanks for the link. ;)
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:32 am

xpauliber wrote:Cornfed, I just picked up a heater body suit. I can't wait to try it out this year. I CAN'T STAND getting all layered up and trying to shoot my bow. Nothing feels right and I feel like my anchor points aren't lining up. This year with the HBS should be awesome! Can't wait.

I hated that too..trying to decide what to bring with to the stand, will I need this layer or that layer, getting dressed at the bottom of the tree, etc.. Now I just jump inside the suit and if I get too warm, I just unzip it to let some heat out.

Im working on finding a little thermometer or something that I can bring with me out to the stand this winter so I can test how warm it is inside the suit vs outside temp. Unfortunately they no longer sell the glass ones with mercury in them anymore (ie, the good ones)..

That Firstlite wool that Bucky linked is some top notch stuff! I looked into getting a set of it a while back..
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:36 am

JRM6868 wrote:Thanks for the link. ;)

:lol:
Let me look it up, not sure of the name......

http://www.coldarmor.com/

Well worth the cost of the belt and warmers.
FYI...when I use new warmers for a few hours I put them in a double sealed ziplock bag when I get done hunting and then reuse them another day...the large warmers last at least fourteen hours.

Keep at least one layer between the bely and your skin, or you will get a burn.

All your blood flows thru your kidneys, so it works well.......
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”