What is your cold weather gear?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Re: What is your cold weather gear?

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 am

The heater body suit is by far the best investment I have ever made. I could never stay warm no matter what I wore.

For the past 3 years I was never cold on stand, not even once. Last year I hunted in uninsulated construction style work boots, blue jeans and a grey Champion sweatshirt. No matter what the temperature was, once you climb in that suite you stay warm guaranteed

This year I ordered the full Predator Fleece line. I know it isn't rated for super cold temperatures but it should do me well until late november.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:41 pm

I wear under armor cold gear, with a sweatshirt or two, smart wool socks. My outer layer is Rivers West rain gear which blocks the wind. I just wear regular non insulated leather boots or 200 gram thinsulate rubber boots and some light under armor gloves. The key is keeping dry which is what the under armor wicking does. And blocking the wind. I cannot walk in too far with the Rivers West gear because it is non breathable and I sweat up really quickly. Once I get to my spot and get the rain gear on, the wind is blocked I tend to stay warm. If you can keep your core body temp up your hands and feet wont get cold either. If I get a little chilled I put up my hood which helps. I would say since I began wearing the non breathable rain gear my hands and feet getting cold have not been an issue. The rain gear is a tight weave chamois material which is silent and it doesnt weigh a lot unless it gets wet.

I would also add that during the really cold weather I typically only hunt half day hunts. And taking snacks helps fuel the body.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:48 pm

I have tried most everything. In cold temps I always use the toe warmers in my boots. My sister in law made me copy of the heater body suit and I will use that for long sits, I can stay comfortable in that thing in temps down to 5 below. For sits up to 2 hours I will wear insulated bibs, easy to carry and put on. With the heater suit I have found its best to put it on while on the ground ( I hunt from a lone wolf hand climber).
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:10 pm

I just bought Artic Armour camo. It's rain and wind-proof. It even floats if you fall in water. I would buy the HBS but it's not as versatile for my liking if I'm gonna spend over 300 bucks. Look into it if it interests you. This is the ultimate deal next to the HBS in my opinion. It may even be too warm..
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:32 pm

I layer UA cold gear, justin charles wool long underwear and cheap camo fleece for the bulk of the season....when it gets super cold i add some heavyweight whitewater jacket/bibs and big handwarmers. Hand muff also with handwarmer
When better is possible, good is never good enough
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:36 am

OK so what's so special about the heater body suit??

looks like just 300g thinsulate material...would large coveralls not be just as effective and a whole lot cheaper??

It looks like a great idea but the price seems pretty steep....am I missing something?
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:46 am

76chevy wrote:OK so what's so special about the heater body suit??

looks like just 300g thinsulate material...would large coveralls not be just as effective and a whole lot cheaper??

It looks like a great idea but the price seems pretty steep....am I missing something?

This is from the Q&A section on their website:

"This hunting garment is simply trapping your body heat, which creates an envolope of warm air. There is no need to worry about wires or buying endless batteries or heat packs, which will only SAVE YOU MONEY in the end! The design is similar to a sleeping bag, but this suit is tailored to your body, as it comes in 6 different sizes. The Heater Body Suit has legs, making it easy to maneuver around on stand or in your blind if a deer should sneak up on you. There are no sleeves on the suit, your arms are inside the suit, close to your core, so not only does this help you stay warm, but you don't want to have to adjust your perfected shot that you practiced when you weren't wearing that extra layer of clothing. The Heater Body Suit has adjustable elastic straps that criss-cross over your chest, which keeps the suit from falling to your knees and allows the suit to naturally go behind you."
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:46 am

Here's my system so far....
Wicking socks and a thin layer of wool socks,if it's really cold I throw on some toastie toes heaters.
My boots are the La crosse alpha 800 gr thinsulate knee high rubber.If it's really cold I use the Sorels artic.
I use the UA base layer.
I also have the UA3.0 cold gear.
One thing I found two years ago was the Russell Gear which is wind proof and set up as a layering system. Mid layer or layer 2. Has wind stop on the thighs and chest and part of the arms.
Russel layer 3 is all wind proof in the pants and jacket and is really thin and doesn't hamper movement.
Then I cover it all up with my Enigma camo.
When the temps drop I never hunt without my neck gator.
For my hat and gloves I use the thin UA hat and gloves with handwarmers in my pocket if needed.Although this hat is thin it really keeps the heat in.
Last but not least if it's really cold I'll keep the enigma at home and use my Columbia wool I picked up bibs and shirt didn't care for the jacket because of the hood ,it gets too bulky.

After reading some of the reviews I may change my base layer to the merino wool as the UA base layer's tight fit bothers me after a while. With all this I am still mobile enough to shoot comfortable. The main thing is to cut the wind which is what these products do. With the outer layer of Russell wear I don't need to where the second layer much. With the layers the way they are they can pack easy for those cold mornings and be taken off if it warms up in the late morning or early afternoon. The wind stop in the Russell gear isn't noisy either as in alot of other wind shear material.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:45 pm

76chevy wrote:OK so what's so special about the heater body suit??

Chevy with the body suit your entire body is inside ( feet included ) and your body heat is what keeps you warm. Mine is zipped up from the inside and held up with suspenders. Unless its below zero or very windy I will sit with mine partially open.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”