Stoping deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you stop deer for the shot?

Most of the time I stop them
36%
Most of the time I shoot them walking or wait for a natural shot.
29%
50/50 every situation is different
36%

Total votes: 28
PredatorTC
500 Club

Stoping deer

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:05 pm

When you have a buck walking in front of you do you bleat at him and stop him. I used to but i would often bleat too loud and they would take off like a missile. Or they would freeze and be ready so they could jump the arrow. I will stop one if it is running though. This year i shot mine at 35 yards walking. I lead him perfect and the arrow went where i put it. What do you do, and what have you experienced?

Slider1005

Re: Stoping deer

Unread postby Slider1005 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Tc saw the video of that shot. NICE :D

Anyway, I have not shot a deer with the bow yet, but I think I will not stop the deer. I've seen what you mean in shows where they stop a buck, he alerts and ducks the arrow. I would rather wait for him to stop or shoot like you did with him walking. If he's relaxed he won't react as quickly I would think.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:50 pm

I tend to like "complete and utter suprise"

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Zap wrote:I tend to like "complete and utter suprise"

marty

My thoughts exactly!!

I don't like to give a deer any chance to spook. If the deer is moving so fast I can't get a clean shot I let it walk.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:57 am

PredatorTC wrote:When you have a buck walking in front of you do you bleat at him and stop him. I used to but i would often bleat too loud and they would take off like a missile. Or they would freeze and be ready so they could jump the arrow. I will stop one if it is running though. This year i shot mine at 35 yards walking. I lead him perfect and the arrow went where i put it. What do you do, and what have you experienced?

I've stopped deer with a mouth bleat and pulled off the shot. Never had one take off like that. Maybe your doing it louder than necessary.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:56 am

Every case is different. IMO, shooting a moving deer isn't always a good idea. A subtle barely audible mouth grunt usually works. Doing it while your already drawn back is a good idea because once you do it the deer probably will look in your direction. Given enough time a buck will usually stop on his own before he goes to far, unless a doe chase is on.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:46 am

i draw and many times they stop cause they know sometinhg aint right. if not i give a light grunt and get louder if needed. on a side note one time a buck was chasing a doe it happened so fast i grunted then again then louder then louder then i yelled hey,he finally stopped!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:28 am

Like Zap said, I would rather not inform them that there is something around and put them on full alert. I will do it however if I have to shoot them in an exact and tight opening, or if they are running. I have seen it cost a few people good bucks.
I would also suggest that if you are going to do this, you do it at close range. Once you put the buck on alert, he is far more likely to "jump the string"
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:08 pm

If I need to stop a deer, I will make a soft fawn bleat rather than a doe bleat. Kind of like saying the work "kneeeeee" high pitched and kind of nasally, if that makes any sense. I would rather take the chance of the deer jumping my string as opposed to taking a walking shot.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:22 am

Definitely agree with the others that it is a case by case decision. In the 15 yard range I wouldn't hesitate to stop them if I needed to, but generally find that if I set up right, they stop and give me a shot at some point. At 25 yards and beyond I would have to be a little more desperate to try a stop call. But even then, I prefer to take a chance that the deer will bolt or jump the string, than having a nice deer walk away without at least trying.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 am

I will add that when I did stop the deer that it was because I needed to stop them in a specific shooting lane. And I had my bow at full draw already also.... I drew back, stopped the deer with the bleat, then anchored and shot. I practice things like this...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:33 pm

I prefer to take a chance that the deer will bolt or jump the string, than having a nice deer walk away without at least trying.

I have no problem shooting a walking deer... So for me there is no reason to take the chance.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm strongly against shooting walking deer unless they are really close. Its a guessing game when you let one air fly. They could stop, you may lead them too much or not enough, you might not see a twig or tree. I've shot at moving targets at 3d tournaments, its not easy. I'd rather have a deer jump the string on me, rather than wounding them. I let them stop on their own usually or give them a soft blahhh in a shooting lane if I need them to stop there.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:45 pm

I have only hunted with a bow for two seasons, so I dont have much experiance.
But the ony deer that did not drop in sight were the two that I bleated at.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:03 pm

I not sure i,ve experimented with both.I would say no .You yourself need to have a hair trigger as does the deer . To me it,s a distraction of my aim to make a stop noise ,then wait for the deer's reaction,then your reaction to his stop,settle your pin and shoot.Too me theres too many delays ,that affect my focus,all the while you,ve preloaded that deers flight response.Your turning the tables and letting him react to you instead of you to him

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”