wheat fields!?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

wheat fields!?

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:35 pm

I have been seeing a lot of wheat fields this year and I'm concerned. Do deer even eat wheat? glassing and shining this year in a lot of my spots sucks this year. This is what I'm dealing with...

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: wheat fields!?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:37 pm

For awhile I was seeing more deer in wheat then in the beans. You cant see their backs, just part of their neck and head (at least here in Mi.). Don't sweat it, they will be picking it soon, if they haven't started already. Its coming down fast here.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Do they eat the wheat? When they cut it do they eat it? A lot of my hunting depends on if they are going to these fields I might have to start looking for some new spots!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:04 pm

I saw some deer in a cut one the other day, but not sure what is left to eat after they harvest it. I suspect they are eating the tender growth of weeds that are starting to emerge now that sunlight is allowed to hit the ground. Unless your goose hunting, a picked wheat field in my opinion is not a draw for deer.
Thats a huge field, what state is that in?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:08 pm

:lol: thats a picture I got off photobucket to make sure the fields I was seeing are wheat fields. I might be screwed then. :cry:
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:55 pm

We don't have any wheat fields or any agriculture for that matter. The deer typically feed in and open field available and if they're isn't any fields around they are in power lines or swamps eating skunk cabbage and all the green up in there.

For some reason like you mentioned this year has been horrible for seeing bucks during that last half hour of light. Last year we were watching a ton of different bucks and bachelor groups. Hitting the same fields night after night.

Not sure wheat is so different this year but its frustrating. Being that we don't have agriculture and the deer eat weeds all summer around here I couldn't see your deer not eating wheat if it was around, the carbohydrate content would be through the roof I would imagine, but im the last person to take advice from on hunting farmland haha.

Good luck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:15 am

There usually is a fair amount of waste, however I don't believe they eat the grain. But those seeds will sprout under most conditions. I have seen them eat the regrowth of the tender young wheat plants, especially if it's the only food source around. You should be ok.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:53 am

They sure like green wheat in the fall.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:20 am

I've never seen the deer touch the mature stuff. They will eat the green weeds and reseed shoots as they come up.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:03 am

All the wheat fields I have seen have been mature and look like they should be cut. No greens. I'm hoping they cut them soon and so it gives the chance of other young wheat plants and weeds a chance to grow for them to feed on. Pretty much sucks because last year it was all beans and there were deer everywhere. Talk about a change for the worse :x
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:10 am

Here they cut the wheat and come right back with soybeans. Wheat is normally planted in the fall and cut in early summer. It's a winter crop. Deer like it in the fall / winter as green forage. I've never seen them eat the brown / mature plant, especially the grain.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:13 am

Southern Man wrote:Here they cut the wheat and come right back with soybeans. Wheat is normally planted in the fall and cut in early summer. It's a winter crop. Deer like it in the fall / winter as green forage. I've never seen them eat the brown / mature plant, especially the grain.

They two cropped my fields this year with beans about three weeks ago. If he still has the wheat standing I'd say it's too late for the two crop for him.

Like you said good fall winter forage.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:43 am

JRM6868 wrote:
Southern Man wrote:Here they cut the wheat and come right back with soybeans. Wheat is normally planted in the fall and cut in early summer. It's a winter crop. Deer like it in the fall / winter as green forage. I've never seen them eat the brown / mature plant, especially the grain.

They two cropped my fields this year with beans about three weeks ago. If he still has the wheat standing I'd say it's too late for the two crop for him.

Like you said good fall winter forage.

Yep, standard crop rotation. Corn, winter wheat, soybeans, then fallow in winter and start over again. Yea all the wheat here is long gone. I can't imagine planting beans now. They'd burn up here. we're about to burn up anyway :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:42 am

Most WI wheat has yet to be harvested. By the time its harvested up here, they don't have alot of growing season left to double crop. Sometimes some farmers will come back with alfalfa after wheat.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:26 pm

so all in all wheat sucks. :cry:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”