Decoys?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Decoys?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:35 am

Anybody have any luck with decoys? Ive taken them out and not had any luck, short of the deer freaking out when they see them. They see no movement and start stomping and get real edgy. Ive tried the feathers on the ears and tail trick, but then haven't seen a deer while using them with that. I rarely use them due to the troubles with carrying them out quietly. I have the carry lite brand. They seem to work on TV, just wondering what your experiences are. I saw the folding kind for cheap on camofire today and it got me wondering again.

http://www.camofire.com/

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Spysar
500 Club

Re: Decoys?

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:32 am

I've seen them work on TV, but I've never tried one. I can't get over the cumbersome part of carrying one...( I see the one on camofire is the one dimensional type)

Plus a human has to set it out leaving a trail of skin cells.... :?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
mdnabors

Unread postby mdnabors » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:46 am

I've had pretty good luck with them at the "right time" of the year. I'm going after mature bucks so I feel a buck decoy will intimidate most subordinate bucks in the area, which is fine with me. I'll use a single doe in pre-rut and rut to catch the eye of a cruiser. I'll pull out the buck decoy when the rut really kicks in and use through late rut.

Checkout my self-filmed video where I used a bedded doe and tending buck decoys together. The deer I shot read the script perfectly. I try to use the combo in the latter part of the rut to catch the real giants out cruising for the last estrous does. It really gets the dominate buck fired up with this combo. This buck was already busted up but he was mature and I was happy with him. The was my first video so bare with my ameteur editing! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrYudKSdvc0
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:09 am

my neighbor (I should just start saying Randy, I talk about him enough) lent me a decoy last year. One of the folding ones.

On halloween morning I put it out. I was going to kill an hour before I was going to go "meet" some turkeys. Anyway, I sat for a whole 15 minutes before I walked up the hill to look over to the back field. As I am looking to the back field I see this 8 pt approaching the decoy that I just walked another 20+ yards from. He approached very cautious. I Had the wind perfect, and once he got quartering away I shot him. I dont know if I would have shot that deer without it.

I also didnt like carrying "one more thing" but was getting pretty frustrated last Oct, so was trying different things.

I saw someone talking about TI decoys somewhere else and bought one. Talk about compact.

here is the link
http://www.tidecoys.com/territorialintrusiondecoys/Home.html

I didnt have any luck with it but bought it in Rifle season once our deer herd disappeared and went nocturnal, But I will continue to use it.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:14 am

Cool video to see. He definitely spooked when he smelled that decoy. I'm surprised he went to the doe like that, versus challenging the buck.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Ive often thought about picking up a shoulder mount at a garage sale. Other then being a bit heavy, I think it would work awesome. Make a mount on the back so it would hook to a tree step or a LW easy hang hook and then just put it on a small tree. I don't think deer are smart enough to walk around it and see its not a full deer. Seeing as how it would be a buck, they would approach it from kinda head on. You could place it so its by some brush if ya had to. Since the form is just foam, could take the board off and hollow it out a bit to lighten in maybe?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”