lets study scent control from members experiences

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

I was scented by a mature buck and still shot him

I use no scent control and was scented and still shot him
14%
I use moderate scent control and was scented and still shot him
14%
I practice total scent control and was scented and still shot him
5%
I have never killed a mature deer after he scented me
32%
My total scent control allows me to hunt upwind and go undetected and I have killed a mature buck that I'm certain was in my scent stream
No votes
magicman shouldn't be concerned about how I smell or how many deer I shot and get the materials for his upcoming construction project ordered.
36%

Total votes: 22
magicman54494
500 Club

lets study scent control from members experiences

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:52 am

We all seem to have a bit different take on scent control. That's fine. I don't think anybody is going to change because of these discussions but lets just study it a bit based on first hand experiences. Let's stick to deer that you have killed that you believe to be at least 4 years old.
I want to break the poll into 3 catagories of scent control. 1. no scent control different that just your normal showering routine that you would do if you weren't hunting. Even if you just switch to non scented products or defer from colognes consider yourself in this catagory.
2. moderate scent control. You shower before hunting, use sprays on your boots and outer layers, keep your clothes in totes. Basically you make a moderate attempt to control or diminish scent.
3. total scent control. you do everything you can and use every product that controls scent. You strip totally naked after you get out of your car and put on the clothes that are stored in an airtight bag in a tote that never sees the inside of your house. You get the picture.
next - scented by the deer means you are sure that he actually smelled you.
If you were sucessful more than once tell us how many times.

BigHunt

Re: lets study scent control from members experiences

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:01 am

perty much every mature buck that has smelled me down wind, has taken off, or you know the only nosie you dont want to hear when your bowhunting :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:40 am

I voted the last line only because it was stinking Hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol: However if you consider showering moderate scent control then I guess that is where I am at.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:51 am

This study is not scientifically valid.

Just sayin........ :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:18 am

Zap wrote:This study is not scientifically valid.

Just sayin........ :lol:

Pick a catagory that fits you the best and vote. I know it's not scientific but it will shed some light on scent control. The main reason I did this is because many have claimed that by diminishing scent they might get a chance at a deer vs doing no scent control. I'm wondering how many people really experienced those results. Maybe I'm wrong on my thinking concerning scent control and a (non scientific) poll like this might open my eyes to that fact. if nobody votes we learn nothing. The main thing that I'm trying to figure out is if someone knows they were winded and still got that buck and the level of scent control they used. It's really not that hard to play along but every party needs a pooper. :lol:
If you feel the need to qualify your answer do it here.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:13 am

Many hunters have shot deer that got their scent, but they were quick.

I killed a buck that was definately over three years old, seconds after he entered where I thought my scent stream was. He turned and changed direction and I shot him. But I also walked in right there to keep my scent stream and scent trail in the same place.

And how do I know for sure that a deer has winded me, winds and thermals switch, swirl and do all sorts of crazy stuff. Too say I definately know a buck smelled me is the same as sayin "he was downwind and did not smell me".
How does anyone know for sure?

A deer downwind that is blowing at me may have smelled me, may have seen me move, may have crossed a human scent trail, may see UV in my clothes, who knows.

I sat still in a stand on the west side of a cut corn field, crop field slopes to me. Timber behind me drops off pretty good. East wind. Doe's come out from the north and are in the field 50 yards or so away to the east. I sit very still, feel the wind in my face, know the thermal has switched to downhill to the west. All of a sudden they are throwin a fit......lookin right at me.
I was in a hurry and wore a work turtelneck. Put it under a black light days later and its glowin like no tommorrow.
I think they saw the UV, but how do I know for sure.

Had a guy hunt with me last season, put him in the same stand, but with a light west wind. The spot is gold. Wind direction right to the place where the deer are feeding, but the thermal is so strong in that spot as the sun sets that any scent dropping down to the ground is sucked back west.
We are talking later about scent control and he is going on about how deer cannot scent him......I try to explain things from my point of view...no dice.

Ok, put him in a different stand in the AM......field edge at the top of an east facing slope, cut corn to the west, west wind......doe bedding below him to the east. Lotsa doe's go in there every am. The wind blows his scent away from the doe's in the field, as the sun hits the east slope and his eastbound scent drops it is sucked right up into the field by the thermal.

I could hear the doe's blowing 300 yards away.
Texted him....thought the deer could not smell you?

I never had a mature deer definately scent me and continue coming at me unless it was a buck trailing a doe and there is no option for that in the study.

I am not trying to be a jerk, I just do not see how anything can be determined from this.

BTW, I have learned alot from your input to this forum and appreciate your contributions.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:19 am

Jive never killed anything after it winded me lol. But last year I used no scent control at all and killed my biggest buck to date.

I used to use the sprays and soap and all that but its pointless.

Everyone I know who uses it says they "know it isn't going to eliminate they're human scent, but it will at least make it seem to a deer that they are say 150 yards away instead of 40" and by this, possibly keep the deer relaxed and still get a shot.

I don't believe in it but that's what I hear alot.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:25 am

A couple of times if I had my gun instead of my bow I would have been able to pick a different one. Three times for sure I have been at full draw on a nice buck that scented something he didn't like and did not offer me a shot because of this. A gun in my hand would have made the job a done deal oh well. Why does it happen that way? just remember another one make it four times, some real close to the tree will not take a shot and wing it and hope for the best.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:33 am

I can recall mature bucks reactions at my stand to my scent doing widely different things in reaction.
Seems they accept ground scent the best figuring you just passed through. But I have seen mixed reactions to that too... I have hunted at places that forced scent control :roll: Fortunately I have never killed a buck in those cases :lol: But did have plenty of mixed reactions.
I do not do anything to control my scent, I have about 30 bucks mounted on the wall and another 10 that could be. And more than double all those that I have passed on. The majority were taken on public land and some were taken on small private properties with very heavy pressure also. Sometimes more than the public. Some deer caught my wind and stood there staring into the wind stream with big "oh s#%t" eyes as I drew and shot. Some came unglued at the moment they hit the scent stream, and some would stop in mid stride and freeze. Others yet would look nervous and continue on there way at a slightly faster walk or sneak away, or go back the way they came.
Basically, you never really know how a buck will react to your scent until he does...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”