First Trail cam pics ever

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: First Trail cam pics ever

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:46 am

sticknstringarchery wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:
I am alreay addicted. It makes it worse that I own my hunting property and live here. I went out to it again today and had a few more. One big doe I would like to put in the freezer. I am glad I went today too. I realized I needed to adjust the camera. It wasn't aimed at the mineral station quite right. I had two black pics that I believe something tripped as it passed. Anyways, I am leaving it alone until Tuesday when I put out the other cameras. Then its no more checking until Next week. Thats going to be hard but, I have a lot to do to keep me busy until then.

It is very exciting and addicting. This is why Dan suggested you do not put them in an area you plan to hunt. The repeated visits to check them will have deer avoiding them during daylight hours. If there wasnt an attractant, the deer would stop frequenting the area. Ive tried the deer caine in liquid ready to pour and nothing. That,s a super buck you have there, hope to see you holding him with a big smile. :D

Once I put out the others I wont be going back for a week, if I need to wait two weeks, I will. Once I figure out when they are coming through this area, I will stay out until season opener. Once Aug 15th rolls around I will probably stay out of the woods with exception of one time a week and a half before season opener to check out and probably remove the cams. I know where he is bedding and another one that is bigger than him is also bedding. I hope to get the bigger one but, if this one steps out, Its going to be hard not to release on him.

i still wouldnt intrude like that but its your hunt 8-) im so addicted if i were a felon i would still put up cameras, i love deer in thier natural state of living, and i would probly do it for friends to

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:06 pm

It is very exciting and addicting. This is why Dan suggested you do not put them in an area you plan to hunt. The repeated visits to check them will have deer avoiding them during daylight hours. If there wasnt an attractant, the deer would stop frequenting the area. Ive tried the deer caine in liquid ready to pour and nothing. That,s a super buck you have there, hope to see you holding him with a big smile.

Once I put out the others I wont be going back for a week, if I need to wait two weeks, I will. Once I figure out when they are coming through this area, I will stay out until season opener. Once Aug 15th rolls around I will probably stay out of the woods with exception of one time a week and a half before season opener to check out and probably remove the cams. I know where he is bedding and another one that is bigger than him is also bedding. I hope to get the bigger one but, if this one steps out, Its going to be hard not to release on him

In a week, your scent will still be there from a week ago... I would recommend not putting cameras or minerals directly where your going to hunt.
If you put them in areas where deer travel to feed or feed at night and one shows up on cameras repetitively in daylight, yea sit there and shoot him... But really, they just don't put up with human scent in spots where they move in daylight and by fall they are likely to turn nocturnal on you or relocate.
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:29 pm

You should also be able to leave them for more than a week, not sure what you have for battery power but I usually leave my cams for a month or more between checking them during the off season.
If your batteries a dying in a week then try using lithium batteries
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:29 pm

dan wrote:...If you put them in areas where deer travel to feed or feed at night and one shows up on cameras repetitively in daylight, yea sit there and shoot him... But really, they just don't put up with human scent in spots where they move in daylight and by fall they are likely to turn nocturnal on you or relocate.

X2 Every time you go out there you significantly decrease your odds of killing a mature buck in that spot. It doesn't mean it can't happen, but don't count on it.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:34 pm

dan wrote:
It is very exciting and addicting. This is why Dan suggested you do not put them in an area you plan to hunt. The repeated visits to check them will have deer avoiding them during daylight hours. If there wasnt an attractant, the deer would stop frequenting the area. Ive tried the deer caine in liquid ready to pour and nothing. That,s a super buck you have there, hope to see you holding him with a big smile.

Once I put out the others I wont be going back for a week, if I need to wait two weeks, I will. Once I figure out when they are coming through this area, I will stay out until season opener. Once Aug 15th rolls around I will probably stay out of the woods with exception of one time a week and a half before season opener to check out and probably remove the cams. I know where he is bedding and another one that is bigger than him is also bedding. I hope to get the bigger one but, if this one steps out, Its going to be hard not to release on him

In a week, your scent will still be there from a week ago... I would recommend not putting cameras or minerals directly where your going to hunt.
If you put them in areas where deer travel to feed or feed at night and one shows up on cameras repetitively in daylight, yea sit there and shoot him... But really, they just don't put up with human scent in spots where they move in daylight and by fall they are likely to turn nocturnal on you or relocate.

I won't be huntiong this spot, for bucks anyways. I have seen many does roaming through there. I do have a stand about 50yd up the trail. I am always out in the woods near this mineral station as it is about 50yd off of my ATV trail. I travel this trail a couple times a week to check the property and make sure no cows have escaped. That happens every now and then. Now the spot I am planning on hunting for him is a good 1/2-5/8 mile away from the mineral station. Its his bedding area and I have not been withing 200yd of it in almost a month. I wont be going out there until season and only if the wind is right.

He is coming through and to the mineral station every night so far at around 12am. Give or take 40 min.

What I find weird about the human scent thing with these deer is it seems they are curriouse about it. We cut fire wood out of these woods durring the spring and some durring the early summer. It never fails when we have been out logging, the next time we go back which is the next day or at most a week, there are deer tracks all over the place. This happenes every time we log and at our loading area we always clear out, They are all over it the whole time we are using it. When we are not there of course.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:24 pm

did you scout this bedding area out?do you its a buck bedding area?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:39 am

Nice looking buck. Can't wait til this fall to see you sitting behind him with your hands wrapped around his antlers :)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:46 am

What I find weird about the human scent thing with these deer is it seems they are curriouse about it. We cut fire wood out of these woods durring the spring and some durring the early summer. It never fails when we have been out logging, the next time we go back which is the next day or at most a week, there are deer tracks all over the place. This happenes every time we log and at our loading area we always clear out, They are all over it the whole time we are using it. When we are not there of course.

My take on that is that deer tolerate human scent in some areas, and not in others. Bedding areas and staging areas of mature bucks is one area most won't tolerate it, especially repetitively. Also, some deer tolerate it more than others... Like humans they all have different personalities.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:45 am

sticknstringarchery wrote:

But, are all those tracks night movement? Big bucks - even those in big woods areas - don't seem to be bothered by human scent at night. I think they just learn that they are safe at night. They will walk right down trails and roads or thru wide open woods - after dark.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”