If Human Scent Dosen't Matter....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: If Human Scent Dosen't Matter....

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:04 am

dan wrote:I can usually find something edible in one of my pockets if I look hard enough.

:shock:

:lol:

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 am

I might eat an apple on an evening hunt, but on all day sits I pack a lunch!
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:22 pm

You can't beat a Snickers or Almond Joy on stand.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Haus86 wrote:You can't beat a Snickers or Almond Joy on stand.

Apparently you have not seen some of the stuff I find in my pockets ;)
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Like Muddy it happened to find some candy bar (melted several times) in my bag...
I'm using to bring cereal bar with fruit on it (that can be interesting for the deers lol).
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:19 am

if on an all day sit i'll bring a snadwich, candy bar, and some water or a soda....a couple summers ago i was cleaning out my gear and i smelled something nastly, looked around in my backpack and found an uneaten sandwich from the previous year! eww....guess i shot my deer before lunchtime that day
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:44 am

dan wrote:
Haus86 wrote:You can't beat a Snickers or Almond Joy on stand.

Apparently you have not seen some of the stuff I find in my pockets ;)

just intrested what do you have in your pockets dan? magic pixie dust
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:34 am

I wear bug spray early season. Everyone thinks I'm retarded.

I read that deer can actually smell each individual food item before they eat it. They're that picky if there's an abundance (clover, alfalfa, corn, apples).

Food in the stand is a must for all day rut sits. I like JRMs idea.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:44 pm

I wear bug spray early season. Everyone thinks I'm retarded.

Actually I wouldnt doubt Dan wears some. If your hunting the wind correctly, it doesnt matter. If he catches your scent, it wouldnt matter if he smelled some deet along with it. No way Im hunting swamp land early season without some deet on me. Ive used a thermacell and it worked, but thats one more thing to carry out and dink with.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:33 am

I wear bug spray early season, it says "earth scent" but it pretty much smells like bug spray too me. I'm sure the deer can smell it.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:26 pm

A little anecdote:
Some times smell like (lol) ken help...hihihi
I was approaching a Roe Deer doe, with 2 yearling, in an grass way in the middle of an huge forest, the wind in my face, without weapon, just for the pleasure and like that I get some exercises.
All just perfect... in the 100 last meters the doe was looking strongly just the other side like if she was captivating buy something...
When I retch her at 1 m (my world record lol), she start to jump from my left side, right into my arms, then she saw me and make an acrobatic movement to continuous her jumps and avoid me, in my right side, running like if she get devil in is back, calling the youths and despaired in the deep wood fast like a missile...

Less then a minute late, I sow a man walking in this way (so with bad wind). Thanks guy!!!
8-) :lol:
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:36 pm

I read that deer can actually smell each individual food item before they eat it. They're that picky if there's an abundance (clover, alfalfa, corn, apples).

I think most guys who glass deer, or observe deer feeding just look at the animal an loose focus on everything else going on... I have noticed that deer will go to a field or food plot and walk over a lot of food or quickly feed there way thru an area to get to an exact area withing the field. One plant or area is better than the rest to them. I assume its the area with the best fertalizer, mineral, soil, soil combination. I believe thru my observations that they can actually smell the differance in the food... Same with acorns. They will walk right past dropping trees to get to an exact tree.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Getting back to human scent, and advancing our thoughts on it, I also believe deer can recognize an individual humans scent and remember it. Just like tests I have seen where a tracking dog goes to a trail 20 people walked down and tracks only the one individual he is supposed to, deer to can isolate one persons scent. Probably even better than a dog.
So that explains w hy the farmer who never hunts gets away with getting close to deer while out in his fields while the hunter who has had many run ins with the deer has issues... Or better yet, why one deer might not be alarmed by your scent, but the next deer might freak. He may have dealt with you in the past.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:04 am

Getting back to human scent, and advancing our thoughts on it, I also believe deer can recognize an individual humans scent and remember it. Just like tests I have seen where a tracking dog goes to a trail 20 people walked down and tracks only the one individual he is supposed to, deer to can isolate one persons scent. Probably even better than a dog.
So that explains w hy the farmer who never hunts gets away with getting close to deer while out in his fields while the hunter who has had many run ins with the deer has issues... Or better yet, why one deer might not be alarmed by your scent, but the next deer might freak. He may have dealt with you in the past.

While I have no doubt we each smell different, I am going to be skeptical that the deer put certain individuals into a harmless category versus danger category. Using your logic Dan, why not purposely go visit your hunting area often all season to condition the deer that you are not a threat? I think the farmer see's more deer cause he is there more often. Also if deer see your doing something non alarming and they can watch you for awhile and determine this, they might lower their guard a bit and show themselves. Its the guy wearing camo and trying to be sneaky that startles them and sends them into the next county. That being said I was setting up a camera on the edge of a field in my casual work clothes and a deer up wind of me about 200yds away on the other edge of the field did the positive identify danger snorts. I never saw that deer, but obviously it saw me. Down wind of me about 325yds I saw a doe standing there looking at me, wondering what I was doing. If I did that same thing daily, those deer would get conditioned to me, but to think a mature buck would accept me and come closer, no way.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:33 am

kenn1320 wrote:

While I have no doubt we each smell different, I am going to be skeptical that the deer put certain individuals into a harmless category versus danger category. Using your logic Dan, why not purposely go visit your hunting area often all season to condition the deer that you are not a threat? I think the farmer see's more deer cause he is there more often. Also if deer see your doing something non alarming and they can watch you for awhile and determine this, they might lower their guard a bit and show themselves. Its the guy wearing camo and trying to be sneaky that startles them and sends them into the next county. That being said I was setting up a camera on the edge of a field in my casual work clothes and a deer up wind of me about 200yds away on the other edge of the field did the positive identify danger snorts. I never saw that deer, but obviously it saw me. Down wind of me about 325yds I saw a doe standing there looking at me, wondering what I was doing. If I did that same thing daily, those deer would get conditioned to me, but to think a mature buck would accept me and come closer, no way.

Interesting concept.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”