If Human Scent Dosen't Matter....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

If Human Scent Dosen't Matter....

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:50 am

Would you hunt with cologne on? Or gas on your clothes? Or clothes in moth balls? Fragrance soap or shampoo?

It doesn't matter, right?

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Re: If Human Scent Dosen't Matter....

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:52 am

Maybe cologne or gas would help cover up "human smell". :D Could someone try it and let us know how it works? :D
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:55 am

Your right this kind of talk from from some who might go in a plastic bag or in a plastic bottle. :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:56 am

Spysar wrote:Would you hunt with cologne on? Or gas on your clothes? Or clothes in moth balls? Fragrance soap or shampoo?

I wouldn't do it on purpose... But I don't think it matters much. I do often leave work and hunt in my oily dirty work uniform. I personally believe deer spook mostly from human predator scent.
I think they don't know what colone or gas is...
For example, I have seen deer walk right up to my parked truck or an atv, down wind with little reaction, but on more than one occasion I have seen deer come unglued from crossing a stray cats scent trail. I even have one of the cat times on video.. The difference is in the predator scent.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:59 am

But wearing a $75.00 dollar scentfree baselayer that also keeps moisture away that is over the top insane. :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:03 am

goldtip5575 wrote:Your right this kind of talk from from some who might in a plastic bag or in a plastic bottle. :lol:

Not me... Thats a waste of good squirrel ammo.
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:13 am

I don't want to turn this into a promo, but Ozonic's work. So before I started using them, I didn't care. Now, we are more conscience about our scent, but with these in the tree you can stink like whatever you want cause they don't discriminate on what odors they destroy; they kill them all.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:21 am

I recall one year "in desperation" as Dan would say, I stopped eating meat and wearing cologne for 4 months prior to season and all season long. I showered with the right soaps, used the sprays, and still failed to see a 100" buck all season. Did all that actually help, hard to say. There is something interesting about trapping and human scent as Spysar can likely relate to. I hear its extremely important to ensure your traps are scent free and to wear rubber gloves and boots, yet technically your still shedding human scent like crazy. Could it be that your hands are somewhat "oily" and therefore that scent last longer then the dead skin cell scent? Could be similar with the rubber boots? They say deer can track each other by the scent gland between their toes (think that is where it was). Why would they if they could track the dead skin cells from the body? I think they can smell both, but the oily ones leave scent the longest. Something to ponder eh Dan?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:23 am

dan wrote:
Spysar wrote:Would you hunt with cologne on? Or gas on your clothes? Or clothes in moth balls? Fragrance soap or shampoo?

I wouldn't do it on purpose... But I don't think it matters much. I do often leave work and hunt in my oily dirty work uniform. I personally believe deer spook mostly from human predator scent.
I think they don't know what colone or gas is...
For example, I have seen deer walk right up to my parked truck or an atv, down wind with little reaction, but on more than one occasion I have seen deer come unglued from crossing a stray cats scent trail. I even have one of the cat times on video.. The difference is in the predator scent.

Why not do it on purpose, if it dosen't matter? And you said doesn't matter "much" What would the circumstances that it mattered be?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:38 am

You might find it hard to believe but it doesn't matter to me. If anything at this point it's a mental thing to me from all my years of trying to stay scent free. I try to stay away from scents but if I spilled gas on myself I'd still go hunting. I use unscented products during season but again it's more of a mental thing because if I had cologne on I'd hunt anyway.

A trapping story: My dad was heading across the fields on his Ford 8N tractor to go set a few fox traps. The tractor quit running so he pulled the sediment bowl off and cleaned it out (the sediment bowl is full of gas). Now his gloves and hands were full of gas. He set the traps anyway and the next day he had a fox in one of the traps.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:46 am

magicman54494 wrote:

You might find it hard to believe but it doesn't matter to me. If anything at this point it's a mental thing to me from all my years of trying to stay scent free. I try to stay away from scents but if I spilled gas on myself I'd still go hunting. I use unscented products during season but again it's more of a mental thing because if I had cologne on I'd hunt anyway.

A trapping story: My dad was heading across the fields on his Ford 8N tractor to go set a few fox traps. The tractor quit running so he pulled the sediment bowl off and cleaned it out (the sediment bowl is full of gas). Now his gloves and hands were full of gas. He set the traps anyway and the next day he had a fox in one of the traps.

Are you talking about tracking in the snow, or going to a stand?

And, I'd go hunting anyway too, if I stunk or not. Afterall we are all playing the wind, and a high percentage of the time your setup should be downwind of the buck. However there will be times when a deer crosses your trail, or comes from behind where he not expected.

Gas on a trap? Heck they make trap dye where you mix the black dye right in gas, dip the traps, hang them up. The gas evaporates right off, and they are black and sterilized.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:59 am

I once dropped a steamer off the platform.....worked better than Ozonics. Killed not only my scent, but it sterilized every single molecule of air around my stand for a mile.....the deer stood no chance! :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:00 am

:lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:02 am

Dor wrote:I once dropped a steamer off the platform.....worked better than Ozonics. Killed not only my scent, but it sterilized every single molecule of air around my stand for a mile.....the deer stood no chance! :mrgreen:

My minds eye just went blind.. :o

:lol:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:05 am

Spysar wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

Are you talking about tracking in the snow, or going to a stand?
And, I'd go hunting anyway too, if I stunk or not. Afterall we are all playing the wind, and a high percentage of the time your setup should be downwind of the buck. However there will be times when a deer crosses your trail, or comes from behind where he not expected.

Gas on a trap? Heck they make trap dye where you mix the black dye right in gas, dip the traps, hang them up. The gas evaporates right off, and they are black and sterilized.

For any method of hunting. Spy, I know you like to do scent control but I can ask you why you ignore the experiments that again and again prove that deer can still smell you no matter how far you take your scent control. To be honest, The only scent control I do is for my own (and the people around me) benefit. I don't want to sit in my camper and smell my own BO.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”